The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know how you feel. I also got rejected for graduate medicine this year, but I do have an offer for pharmacy. And pharmacy does pay extremely well, and there is less stress than being a doctor.
Reply 21
Original post by firestar101
I know how you feel. I also got rejected for graduate medicine this year, but I do have an offer for pharmacy. And pharmacy does pay extremely well, and there is less stress than being a doctor.

does pharmacy pay well? really? :confused:

but i really wanted to do medicine, despite the pay etc. :mad:

:frown:
Original post by amir shah
does pharmacy pay well? really? :confused:

but i really wanted to do medicine, despite the pay etc. :mad:

:frown:

Yes. It pays really well. I have heard of locums getting 60,000 pounds. If you work full time in community pharmacy, you usually start at around 30,000-40,000 and it goes up after a few years.

Have you thought about going into pharmacy?

I know medicine is a good career, it pays well, not at the start though.

What are you doing at the moment? Have you graduated? What are your plans, then?
Reply 23
Yes. It pays really well. I have heard of locums getting 60,000 pounds. If you work full time in community pharmacy, you usually start at around 30,000-40,000 and it goes up after a few years.

Have you thought about going into pharmacy?

I know medicine is a good career, it pays well, not at the start though.

What are you doing at the moment? Have you graduated? What are your plans, then?

I am not sure tbh....

If I want to do any postgrad study, it will only be medicine, otherwise, I think i will stick with what I have.

I am graduating this year. I haven't got any solid plans at the moment, just trying to look at my options. :s-smilie:
Reply 24
Original post by amir shah
i reallly wanted to do medicine, but didnt get the grades - this is my last yr of biomed and don't know where to go from here. I never really wanted to do biomed, but after it i thought i would do medicine, but have been rejected from all my unis :frown:

I have looked at biomed science jobs and they are hard work and very little pay. also opportunities are very difficult to find without a masters or PHD.

I am really confused as to what to do. is there anyway i can still get into medicine? what are my best options now?

any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!

I would definitley recommend masters, especially as theres high competition for jobs, but also made sure to get at a least 2:1 to even be competitive if do decide to go into work.
To the biomed people wanting to go on to medicine: it's possible! Apply again with your degrees in hand. Get as much work experience as you possibly can, and apply to places that suit your strong points (eg if you get a poor/average ukcat, apply to places that place little emphasis on it.) Sorry that was all quite obvious stuff... but keep going! Three people from my year have got in so far.
Original post by Iqbal007
I would definitley recommend masters, especially as theres high competition for jobs, but also made sure to get at a least 2:1 to even be competitive if do decide to go into work.

I do not think a masters will make a difference. Better to get more work experience.
Reply 27
I do not think a masters will make a difference. Better to get more work experience.

Ok, normally people do internships after there 2nd year during the summer. Its worthwhile as i know loads of people get job offers but mainly in the finance sector not sure about biomedicine :s-smilie:
Ok, normally people do internships after there 2nd year during the summer. Its worthwhile as i know loads of people get job offers but mainly in the finance sector not sure about biomedicine :s-smilie:

Yeah, in finance/banking/business, it might be worthwhile. But, for science it would probably be better to do a PhD rather than a masters.
Reply 29
Yeah, in finance/banking/business, it might be worthwhile. But, for science it would probably be better to do a PhD rather than a masters.

:0 phd u being serious thts hard work, ok just do loads of work experience and get the right connections
Reply 30
Original post by Nash24
Ah dont say that...Im starting my first year of biomedical sciences in September and I really want to do a post grad degree in Medicine..Even though it's evidently very competitive
Have you considered a law conversion degree...I think that is an option. Don't know much about it though...sorry.

Have you got the grades needed for medicine? If so, take a gap year and reapply, don't do biomed and apply as a grad.
Reply 31
Original post by niceday
Have you got the grades needed for medicine? If so, take a gap year and reapply, don't do biomed and apply as a grad.

Nooo my school wouldnt allow me to apply because my UKCAT was below 600 and my AS grades werent strong enough :frown: Im going to try and get my 3A's and then apply with grades in hand..what do you suggest?
Reply 32
If you dont mind can i ask you what you got for GCSEs and A levels :biggrin: because i really want to study medical i know the grade requirements are high but i think i can manage thanks
Original post by Nash24
Nooo my school wouldnt allow me to apply because my UKCAT was below 600 and my AS grades werent strong enough :frown: Im going to try and get my 3A's and then apply with grades in hand..what do you suggest?

That's a much better option than grad entry.

Original post by stevie988
If you dont mind can i ask you what you got for GCSEs and A levels :biggrin: because i really want to study medical i know the grade requirements are high but i think i can manage thanks

They don't just look at grades.

OP- If medicine is what you really want then keep applying until you get in. My 3 housemates have been rejected w/o iv for all of their choices and they plan to reapply. My dissertation supervisor is a medic and knows about their admissions too, and said that this year has been the worst possible year for applications, because anyone who was vaguely interested in doing medicine/dentistry has gone for it to avoid the fees rise. It's no reflection on the strength of your application, there were simply just too many applicants!

Unfortunately a lot of people are under the impression that grad entry is easier- it's much harder as you're competing against a whole different kettle of fish! Grads who have been working in healthcare for a while, grads who graduated from a healthcare degree, other mature students who have been working in various professions but have gained the life experience that med schools like.

For anyone who's been rejected this year from medicine and is considering taking the post- grad route- don't do it. You are by no means guaranteed a place and graduates are self- funded, which means you'll have to find 9 grand a yr for tuition on your own.
Reply 34
Original post by Nash24

i would DEFINITITELY try and get three As at a-level, because grad medicine is virtually impossible! :frown:

UKCAT is something you can work on - practice practice practice.

get this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical-School-comprehensive-explanations/dp/1905812094

do some online questions - you can do the questions it is probably that you take too long in answering them :wink:

you may as well apply this year and next year too - get some unusual work experience that will stand out.

:frown: - i couldnt do the above because my a-level grades weren't up to it. don't mess up your a-levels.
Reply 35

i was thinking of a masters, because any science-related job i look at requires a Masters. hmmm.

? :confused:
Reply 36
Original post by Ayshizzle
That's a much better option than grad entry.

They don't just look at grades.

OP- If medicine is what you really want then keep applying until you get in. My 3 housemates have been rejected w/o iv for all of their choices and they plan to reapply. My dissertation supervisor is a medic and knows about their admissions too, and said that this year has been the worst possible year for applications, because anyone who was vaguely interested in doing medicine/dentistry has gone for it to avoid the fees rise. It's no reflection on the strength of your application, there were simply just too many applicants!

Unfortunately a lot of people are under the impression that grad entry is easier- it's much harder as you're competing against a whole different kettle of fish! Grads who have been working in healthcare for a while, grads who graduated from a healthcare degree, other mature students who have been working in various professions but have gained the life experience that med schools like.

For anyone who's been rejected this year from medicine and is considering taking the post- grad route- don't do it. You are by no means guaranteed a place and graduates are self- funded, which means you'll have to find 9 grand a yr for tuition on your own

Yes - agree with that 100%.

yeah, i think i will try again next year - thanks for your help! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by sparrow-legs
To the biomed people wanting to go on to medicine: it's possible! Apply again with your degrees in hand. Get as much work experience as you possibly can, and apply to places that suit your strong points (eg if you get a poor/average ukcat, apply to places that place little emphasis on it.) Sorry that was all quite obvious stuff... but keep going! Three people from my year have got in so far.

thanks for the help :smile: do you know which unis have less emphasis on a-levels? thank you!! :wink:
Reply 38
Original post by Nash24

I did biomed, I'd suggest if you get the AAA to reapply and not do biomed first.
I did biomed at Kings got high 2.1. Got ABC at ALEVEL. Applied for 2010 entry (which was when i graduated so in my third year) got 4 rejections. Went to work. Suprisingly biomed is a very sought after degree. I had interview for investment banks, private equity, recruitment consultancy, business analysts. But decided it would be more beneficial to gain some more work experience. So i got a paid Job working in the NHS at UCL hospital as a clinical coordinator/PA/Secretary. I reapplied this year and I start medicine in September.

Moral: Dont give up. Dont let any obstacle get in your way. Brush yourself off and try again.

Also. Try 5yr courses. I know in 2012 it'll be that more expensive but if it what you want to do, then take the financial risk. But you should be good enough to apply for 4yr.

And what you should also deem from my post is that Biomed can take you into many careers, as long as you are willing to explore the possibilites and possess the confidence to let it open doors for you.

Good Luck

Latest

Trending

Trending