The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

difference between medical biosciences and biomedical science

what's the difference between medical biosciences and biomedical sciences? imperial have a 'medical biosciences' course but not a 'biomedical sciences' course, but most unis only have a 'biomedical sciences course' so im wondering if theyre just the same thing w different names
Original post by Anonymous #1
what's the difference between medical biosciences and biomedical sciences? imperial have a 'medical biosciences' course but not a 'biomedical sciences' course, but most unis only have a 'biomedical sciences course' so im wondering if theyre just the same thing w different names

Hey :smile:

Biomedical Science, Biomedicine, Medical Biosciences etc will teach similar content. So, if you're interested in Biomedical Science it's worth looking into degree's that have a variation of that title too (Medical Biosciences).

Module content will vary depending on which university you attend. So, there's not a distinctive difference between Biomedical Science and Medical Bioscience. Ultimately, you should treat courses such as Medical Biosciences the same as Biomedical Science but make sure that you view the module content before applying.

On a side note, have you thought about your profession after graduation? Do not worry if you have not. I mention this because of IBMS accreditation - something I think everyone should be aware of before applying to Biomedical Science. One of the most obvious jobs to apply for after graduation is "Biomedical Scientist", right? Well, you actually can't become one unless your degree has IBMS accreditation

This is why some universities might have two similar-sounding degree's such as Biomedical Science and Biomedicine because one will have the accreditation and the other won't. The non-accredited degree will, however, provide more flexibility when it comes to picking your modules so you can tailor your degree better.

With that said, there are so many options once you graduate with a degree in Biomedical Science because it's such a broad degree. So, if you want to work in any other bio-related job then it's not a concern. But, if you want to be a Biomedical Scientist you must check for IBMS accreditation before applying. Personally, I'm not sure what I want to do after graduation yet so I chose to keep my options open and picked a degree with IBMS accreditation just in case. To put it simply, in order to work as a Biomedical Scientist you need to be approved and this requires you to have studied a specific set of modules at university. You can still become a Biomedical Scientist if you have not got IBMS accreditation with your degree but it will require you to take top-up modules which are expensive and difficult to apply for.

Here is a list of all universities with IBMS accreditation
https://www.ibms.org/accredited-degrees/accredited-degree-courses/undergraduate-uk-courses/
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hey :smile:

Biomedical Science, Biomedicine, Medical Biosciences etc will teach similar content. So, if you're interested in Biomedical Science it's worth looking into degree's that have a variation of that title too (Medical Biosciences).

Module content will vary depending on which university you attend. So, there's not a distinctive difference between Biomedical Science and Medical Bioscience. Ultimately, you should treat courses such as Medical Biosciences the same as Biomedical Science but make sure that you view the module content before applying.

On a side note, have you thought about your profession after graduation? Do not worry if you have not. I mention this because of IBMS accreditation - something I think everyone should be aware of before applying to Biomedical Science. One of the most obvious jobs to apply for after graduation is "Biomedical Scientist", right? Well, you actually can't become one unless your degree has IBMS accreditation

This is why some universities might have two similar-sounding degree's such as Biomedical Science and Biomedicine because one will have the accreditation and the other won't. The non-accredited degree will, however, provide more flexibility when it comes to picking your modules so you can tailor your degree better.

With that said, there are so many options once you graduate with a degree in Biomedical Science because it's such a broad degree. So, if you want to work in any other bio-related job then it's not a concern. But, if you want to be a Biomedical Scientist you must check for IBMS accreditation before applying. Personally, I'm not sure what I want to do after graduation yet so I chose to keep my options open and picked a degree with IBMS accreditation just in case. To put it simply, in order to work as a Biomedical Scientist you need to be approved and this requires you to have studied a specific set of modules at university. You can still become a Biomedical Scientist if you have not got IBMS accreditation with your degree but it will require you to take top-up modules which are expensive and difficult to apply for.

Here is a list of all universities with IBMS accreditation
https://www.ibms.org/accredited-degrees/accredited-degree-courses/undergraduate-uk-courses/
Hi!! oh my goodness thank you so much for your reply, this really helped me out!! AGH i had no idea about the IBMS accreditation, you just saved my life kind stranger !! I have another silly question if you know the answer (totally okay if not) - I don't have to take the UCAT for biomedical science, right? I've read so many different things on so many different websites and it's confused me so much. Thank you for your response again <33
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi!! oh my goodness thank you so much for your reply, this really helped me out!! AGH i had no idea about the IBMS accreditation, you just saved my life kind stranger !! I have another silly question if you know the answer (totally okay if not) - I don't have to take the UCAT for biomedical science, right? I've read so many different things on so many different websites and it's confused me so much. Thank you for your response again <33
I'm so glad! I believe Oxford University is the only university that requires a UCAT for Biomedical Science. Also, on a side note you might be invited for an interview as part of the application process at some universities for Biomedical Science. I hadn't realised this when I applied for the course. If you have any questions regarding interviews it would be best to contact the university directly.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need answered! I'm happy to be able to help in the application process :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending