The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
It's nowhere near as secure as Moto's methods.

Oh fair
Sony Ericsson surprising us again with news that they'll be letting people hack the bootloaders of their phones...

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/03/29/sony_ericsson_android_boot_loader_unlock/
Original post by mikeyd85

Who cares?

:p:

Seriously though, if Moto weren't doing that and locking the bootloader, I'd snap it up for sure. It's a beast through and through. That with Vanilla Gingerbread + LP would be :sexface:

I was just about to post the same thing. Really hope it does
Sony Ericsson surprising us again with news that they'll be letting people hack the bootloaders of their phones...

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/03/29/sony_ericsson_android_boot_loader_unlock/

Knowing Sony, the process of Rooting the phone will "dial home" and pass all your details to Sony's legal department, resulting in a summons for breaching the DMCA or something equally as stupid. :rolleyes:
Hey guys, could anyone suggest any good VoIP apps? :smile:
Original post by Mad Vlad

Original post by Mad Vlad
Knowing Sony, the process of Rooting the phone will "dial home" and pass all your details to Sony's legal department, resulting in a summons for breaching the DMCA or something equally as stupid. :rolleyes:

Please rate some other members before rating this member again. :frown: but that deserves rep
I really, really wish I'd used Titanium Backup a long time ago! saves so much time! Haha!
Original post by G8D
Yeah, if you have the donate version it's amazing. The free one is so annoying though :P

I'm on free - what's the difference?
Original post by G8D
It installs automatically as opposed to:
*Permission screen- click install* for every single app.

OK, I need that then :biggrin:
Titanium is awesome, part of me wishes it was rolled into every rom
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy an android phone and need some advice
I'm considering the LG optimus one, as it has some good deals right now. A lot of reviews slate the camera, but that's fine, I barely use the one on my current phone and have a perfectly good digital camera. I guess the most important thing for me is internet browsing. It only has 600MHz processor, and reviews seem to be mixed about whether this is good enough for internet browsing and running apps. I know it's not going to run some games, but again, for the price that doesn't bother me that much. Also, is the screen resolution much of a problem? Are there any other problems people have found with it? Thanks
Did someone say San Francisco? :colone:
Finally got round to sorting myself out a contract, and now own a Desire HD which is such a large step up from my old phone.

Several questions, which I'm sure will have been answered - but it's a long thread XD.

1) Where would be the best place to buy a replacement battery and would I be able to buy one that is better?

2) Recommended good skins/screen protectors?

3) Am I going to want to 'root' it (not sure what this is)? If so is it difficult because I'm not brilliant with technology.

4) Any other advice? I've already turned Wifi off because I won't be using it very often and have the kill everything app which I press often, any other good battery saving solutions?

Thanks =]
The words 'San Francisco' are like music to my ears :sexface:
Original post by G8D
You will have a much better experience with a higher resolution. Have you looked into the San Francisco?

*sigh* I should have mentioned that. I had a play with a friends' and the build quality is terrible. I don't really care about the bigger screen and resolution, I thought it was ugly. And even after getting rid of all the bloatware, it's still pretty slow. Plus, there's the fact that it's locked to the Orange network. I wasn't impressed, tbh.

I don't want a phone much bigger than that, so the HTC desire and other similar sized phones are too big and cost more than I'm willing to pay.
Original post by G8D
Thing is, the Optimus One and SanFran use the same processor. Optimus won't be faster or smoother by any means..

Plus you can unlock the SanFran for free :smile:

I just wanted people's opinions on one phone. Not plugging a phone I don't want. If you can't do that, then I'll have to try somewhere else. Thanks.

Was the neg really necessary? As I said, I don't like the phone. I was considering it long before any other phone, but decided against it for numerous reasons. It's not the phone for me.
Original post by paddy__power
Finally got round to sorting myself out a contract, and now own a Desire HD which is such a large step up from my old phone.

Several questions, which I'm sure will have been answered - but it's a long thread XD.

1) Where would be the best place to buy a replacement battery and would I be able to buy one that is better?

2) Recommended good skins/screen protectors?

3) Am I going to want to 'root' it (not sure what this is)? If so is it difficult because I'm not brilliant with technology.

4) Any other advice? I've already turned Wifi off because I won't be using it very often and have the kill everything app which I press often, any other good battery saving solutions?

Thanks =]

1) Here though you won't find a much bigger battery as it'd need a new backplate

2) No idea, sorry.

3) If you don't know what it does and aren't sure you'd want to try, don't worry about it too much. If you find yourself wanting to root it for a reason (wireless tether, screenshots, overclocking, custom ROMS, backup etc), then ask then. for now I'd just get familiar with what you can do with your phone. :smile:

4) Don't use task killer apps. :wink: turning off Wifi and mobile data are good shouts. You could also change the frequency of updates of any widgets you use (ie FriendStream). The screen on the DHD does eat battery power though.

1) Where would be the best place to buy a replacement battery and would I be able to buy one that is better? So far there haven't been any batteries that have higher capacity than the stock one, the reason is due to the unibody design of DHD it can never fit anything bigger in terms of size. All the replacement batteries you see that are higher spec'd will actually give you any more juice than the stock one. Generally the capacity they say isn't exactly what you get from these thrid party companies so if they say 1600Mah it's most likely something like 1200Mah. After searching this issue for months the HTC battery is still the best. I advise you to get used to charging your phone, the screen saps a tone of battery. Though I've heard Custom Roms improve the battery life dramatically.

2) Recommended good skins/screen protectors? Just Amazon it and find the one with most reviews, screen protector reduce the the sensitivity by bit but you get used to it. I currently have 4 cases. Gel case is most protective but makes the phone even bulkier, the casemate Barely there makes the phone look really classy but doesn't protect it much.

3) Am I going to want to 'root' it (not sure what this is)? If so is it difficult because I'm not brilliant with technology. I still haven't rooted my phone but I plan to once I have more time, the more you customise your phone the better it gets.

4) Any other advice? I've already turned Wifi off because I won't be using it very often and have the kill everything app which I press often, any other good battery saving solutions? Head over to here and there's tones of threads to help battery life. You don't need to kill apps, unless they've gone rouge, as android will just open them up again and memory has never been an issue for me, I've never managed to have less than 110mb free. Mobile data is a massive killer, more than wifi. Turn down brightness to half

Thanks =]

I'll answer your questions. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending