The Student Room Group

Why not cut foreign aid until we actually get the UK sorted out?

We still give millions if not billions in foreign aid, yet we are making cuts in policing and education in our own country? why not cut foreign aid until we don't need to make such drastic cuts here? I feel the government needs to prioritise.

And we also still continue to drop millions of pounds worth of bombs on Libya, which in my opinion, we should not even be there ( people will disagree but an opinion is an opinion at the end of the day ). Lets leave Libya conversation for another day.

Back to foreign aid, I recently read an article , it talked about how the UK gave foreign aid to India and other countries yet India etc. also give foreign aid to Africa?

Get this country sorted before we start trying to sort other ones out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To get rid of the communists and that.
Original post by Ventura7
We still give millions if not billions in foreign aid, yet we are making cuts in policing and education in our own country? why not cut foreign aid until we don't need to make such drastic cuts here? I feel the government needs to prioritise.

And we also still continue to drop millions of pounds worth of bombs on Libya, which in my opinion, we should not even be there ( people will disagree but an opinion is an opinion at the end of the day ). Lets leave Libya conversation for another day.

Back to foreign aid, I recently read an article , it talked about how the UK gave foreign aid to India and other countries yet India etc. also give foreign aid to Africa?

Aid has very little to do with benevolance. Aid is mainly a function of political interest and thus politicians are resistant to severing it.
I'd rather the odd person dies in this country due to hospitals having their resources cut, than have millions of people dying in the third world because we're too self-centred to have people who have no control over their circumstances. Just my view.
Because when compared to half the world, our problems seem pretty trivial. We have 3 million unemployed, and not 20 million dying of dysentery. When you say 'get the UK sorted out' you fail to realise that actually, the UK is pretty 'sorted out' and we owe it to the rest of the world to give them something back
Reply 5
Original post by mangoh
Okay I'm going to stick up for foreigners here.

Leave them alone pls, I believe we should keep donating as I'm sure if we needed it, many of us would not simply say "stop donating pls"

don't be a hyprocrite, I hope we keep donating to foreign countries :smile:

Even India and China? Both of which have a space program, and the latter of which has a higher GDP than us? Yes, there may be people in both which are in dire poverty, but I think it's reaching the stage where the governments of particularly these 2 should start taking the responsibility upon themselves, rather than paying for rockets and nuclear weapons whilst letting us deal with feeding their people.
Original post by swahmad
To get rid of the communists and that.

What, both of them? :dontknow: Not sure how much of an impact that will make tbh...
Reply 7
Original post by mangoh
HA -rep don't be a hyprocrite, it's funny that u mention India?

Who invaded India and took the jewels?

Do you think India would be poor with they had the jewels?

So because our great, great, great, great, great grandparents invaded, I now owe them money, despite their government being prosperous? Do I owe money to the United States and Australia too?
Reply 8

Oh dear you sound like one of those simple mided idiots who post on news forums on Skynews!...save yourself and study economics.

Foreign aid is about development and international trade, as well as stategic political alliances.

China and India are massive consumer markets - it is essential for our exporters that they enforce intellectual property rights and maintain import agreements.

We give aid in exchange for other things, and work cohesively on certain projects and foster mutual trade.

There are very smart peopel structuring these deals in the nations benefit (unless of course Labour are voted in)

China give aid generally in exchange for guarantees of raw materials to fuel their growth - they just lent billions to Brazil to drill for oil - the caveat being the Chinese have exclusive rights to purchase the oil when its ready.

The Chinese have no interfering in politics or where the money goes - which is why so much of Africa has been cornered by them.

China bailed out Greece...

-

Lots of very stupid people don't realise that foreign trade is key to our economy, they honestly think that all the firemen and teachers pay tax and thats what "makes money". Where do you think all the money comes from to pay for everything in the UK - its only from the finance industry and exporters.

The Chinese have just done a deal with Columbia to build a railway that will make importing to US cheaper than using the Panama canal - no one will be able to compete with them on price.

If the UK drops foreign investment and aid its balance of trade deficit will plunge as its exports get shut out and the price of oil and cost of across the board in the UK will be set by Beijing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Craig_D
Even India and China? Both of which have a space program, and the latter of which has a higher GDP than us? Yes, there may be people in both which are in dire poverty, but I think it's reaching the stage where the governments of particularly these 2 should start taking the responsibility upon themselves, rather than paying for rockets and nuclear weapons whilst letting us deal with feeding their people.

We don't give aid to China do we?

Anyway, I thought the wisdom of donating to 'richer' poor countries was that we can tie them in to trade deals while we do it, paving our future with monies...
Reply 10
Because it's very important to support foreign dictators, it keeps their peasants in line.
We don't give aid for the purposes of benevolence and kind heartedness. Whenever aid is given to another country there is always strings attached, political leverage being exercised, etc.

Aid is a weapon and a useful tool for influencing countries without having to resort to force.
Reply 12
Original post by davidr123
Oh dear you sound like one of those simple mided idiots who post on news forums on Skynews!...save yourself and study economics.

Foreign aid is about development and international trade, as well as stategic political alliances.

China and India are massive consumer markets - it is essential for our exporters that they enforce intellectual property rights and maintain import agreements.

We give aid in exchange for other things, and work cohesively on certain projects and foster mutual trade.

There are very smart peopel structuring these deals in the nations benefit (unless of course Labour are voted in)

China give aid generally in exchange for guarantees of raw materials to fuel their growth - they just lent billions to Brazil to drill for oil - the caveat being the Chinese have exclusive rights to purchase the oil when its ready.

The Chinese have no interfering in politics or where the money goes - which is why so much of Africa has been cornered by them.

China bailed out Greece...

-

Lots of very stupid people don't realise that foreign trade is key to our economy, they honestly think that all the firemen and teachers pay tax and thats what "makes money". Where do you think all the money comes from to pay for everything in the UK - its only from the finance industry and exporters.

The Chinese have just done a deal with Columbia to build a railway that will make importing to US cheaper than using the Panama canal - no one will be able to compete with them on price.

If the UK drops foreign investment and aid its balance of trade deficit will plunge as its exports get shut out and the price of oil and cost of across the board in the UK will be set by Beijing.

I dont want to study economics thanks, end of convo
Reply 13
Original post by mangoh
HA -rep don't be a hyprocrite, it's funny that u mention India?

Who invaded India and took the jewels?

Do you think India would be poor with they had the jewels?

You really think those jewels could alone make a country rich? haha, how much do ou think they are worth? and if we didnt do what we did hundreds of years ago, we would not be in the position we are now.
Reply 14
Original post by mangoh
Why is it fair that we have people who are bought up in a world with little future where as we on the other hand have it all there for us?

So since your so against donating to the poor, your against comic relief, children in NEED etc... as well then?

You're misrepresenting what I said; no, I don't oppose charity per se. There's a massive difference between me phoning up the BBC and voluntarily offering £75 of my money to Comic Relief, a figure that I chose, knowing that it will go to needy causes in Africa, and the government forcibly taking a set amount of my wages and then handing it out to whomever they like and taking the credit for themselves. I believe in voluntary charity, not compulsory.

As I said, the Indian government are wealthy, they have nuclear weapons and a space program, their problems they could fix for themselves if they diverted some of their cash from unecessary projects. I wouldn't be so resentful if that money wasn't all diverted to the more needy in Africa, rather than just a portion of it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Because the UK is in a much better state of living than the likes of Ethiopia, earthquake-stricken Asian countries and such.

People who write 'FML' after saying they've lost their mobile phone, they can't drink tonight because they're driving etc. have no idea.
I dont want to study economics thanks, end of convo

Then why did you ask the question?
Reply 17

Its all about political and economic interests, thats why they give so much forgein aid. By doing so it ensures that in the future the Uk economy may benefit from very strong trade agreements due to our past history of helping them. It ensures stornger political ties so we will gain there backing in the UN, etc. As nations such as India are ever growing there economy will buy our services as we invest in them. Other results are that these nations will be more open to British firms investing in their countries and bringing the porfit back to the UK.

Another reason maybe that the UK government feels guilty about the past, because the only reason the UK is where it is today is simply because it went across the world and plundered other nations wealth for its own goals.
Because we can afford to and it is morally right
Original post by midpikyrozziy
I'd rather the odd person dies in this country due to hospitals having their resources cut, than have millions of people dying in the third world because we're too self-centred to have people who have no control over their circumstances. Just my view.

There is a big difference between food aid and foreign development aid. Food aid we should certainly continue whenever we can save lives by supplying it. But this makes up a small proportion of the total.

Overseas development aid is less certain. For example Germany provides humanitarian aid where it saves lives, doesn't waste money on significantly corrupt development projects and does it all for an aid budget aboud 1/8 of what we spend. Estimates that I've heard in interviews from people involved in implementing these projects on the ground suggest that about 50% of the budget goes to corrupt officials at various levels.

Consider this: if instead of funding corruption in foreign countries, we had spent £5billion every year for the last 10 years on wind energy, we would have smashed our 2020 renewables targets long ago.

This would benefit the UK with industry and cheap clean energy and it would benefit the developing world by

Not causing global warming (remember it's the developing world that will suffer the most from this).

Not encouraging corruption in developing nations.

As people have pointed out, development aid is really a tool for politicians to gain influence in foreign countries, it is not primarily motivated by humanitarian considerations (food aid is, development aid isn't). Is it possible that we can do better for the world and for the uk by spending the money here? I think so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending