The Student Room Group

I'm 13 and interested in Quantum Physics.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by insoms

Original post by insoms
I like how she makes a thread and then ignores all opinions that don't claim shes an absolutely amazing child prodigy and dismisses them as trolls when they're the only people who have the heart to be realistic with her.

I love the way you chat ****
Original post by insoms
I like how she makes a thread and then ignores all opinions that don't claim shes an absolutely amazing child prodigy and dismisses them as trolls when they're the only people who have the heart to be realistic with her.

In fact, im thanking those who actually are positive and are trying to help me! Nowhere in my thread did it say, TELL ME IF IM TOO YOUNG AND DUMB OR THAT ITS GONNA BE DIFFICULT! do u think i give a **** if they tell me its too difficut?! NO because anything is possible if u try. How do u know that i dony spend my life studying? How do u know that im not already on A Level mathematics?! (not saying i am) but u have no right! I asked for advice on how to study it and become more familiar with the topic! So i suggest you go back to your little hole u heartless, pathetic, dream-shattering, ****!

Thank you.
Reply 82
Original post by OkashiAddict
In fact, im thanking those who actually are positive and are trying to help me! Nowhere in my thread did it say, TELL ME IF IM TOO YOUNG AND DUMB OR THAT ITS GONNA BE DIFFICULT! do u think i give a **** if they tell me its too difficut?! NO because anything is possible if u try. How do u know that i dony spend my life studying? How do u know that im not already on A Level mathematics?! (not saying i am) but u have no right! I asked for advice on how to study it and become more familiar with the topic! So i suggest you go back to your little hole u heartless, pathetic, dream-shattering, ****!

Thank you.

People would take you a lot more seriously and probably not underestimate your intelligence so much if you didn't insult/swear at everyone who disagrees with you...
Original post by Phil1541
People would take you a lot more seriously and probably not underestimate your intelligence so much if you didn't insult/swear at everyone who disagrees with you...

Did I, at any point say I disagreed with them? People who did say I might not understand it - I did thank them. Serioisly, people on this can be so picky. Before you post something so aggravating like that - read the entire thread! Then comment or just dont. Simple.
Take it from me. Physics is easy.
Reply 85
Didn't your parents teach you manners? Swearing is bad.
Reply 86

Thank you.

just gonna put it out there.... a level maths is nothing. you need maths beyond a level to understand quantum physics.

learning in physics is a progression; you learn the basics, then expand on them. you could never understand quantum physics if you hadnt done complex numbers, linear algebra and calculus and probability and i could go on. youre saying that anything is possible if you try; that is true, but you cant miss out all of the preliminary work - youve got 5 years worth of school and college before you start learning quantum physics and thats because it relies on all sorts of mathematical and physical concepts which you just havent learned yet.

you can get a qualitative idea of what quantum physics is from some pop science books, but thats all. what everyone has said is true; you can get the jist of it, but you wont understand it. you definitely wont be able to do questions unless you self teach GCSE maths and physics, then A level maths and physics, then go to uni and do the preliminary maths and physics courses you need before they finally introduce you to some basic quantum mechanics in the first year of a physics degree. what you will then find out is that you dont know much at all, and will then recap and go deeper again in the second and third years of your physics degree.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by nikita_atikin
Dude you need to get laid.

:

DUDE. He's 13.
This is so blatantly a troll thread, it pains me that people actually believe it.

And even if it wasn't a troll thread, OP, would you rather be thrown in the deep end or would you rather take it slow and understand the concepts needed to QM first in a way that it's a conducive method to learn.

If you are a child prodigy, my bad, by all means go ahead and be the QM genius you aspire to be. I look forward to purchasing your book on QM in 30 years (when I'll finally have enough knowledge) to understand the complexity that is QM.

Original post by RK92
just gonna put it out there.... a level maths is nothing. you need maths beyond a level to understand quantum physics.

learning in physics is a progression; you learn the basics, then expand on them. you could never understand quantum physics if you hadnt done complex numbers, linear algebra and calculus and probability and i could go on. youre saying that anything is possible if you try; that is true, but you cant miss out all of the preliminary work - youve got 5 years worth of school and college before you start learning quantum physics and thats because it relies on all sorts of mathematical and physical concepts which you just havent learned yet.

you can get a qualitative idea of what quantum physics is from some pop science books, but thats all. what everyone has said is true; you can get the jist of it, but you wont understand it. you definitely wont be able to do questions unless you self teach GCSE maths and physics, then A level maths and physics, then go to uni and do the preliminary maths and physics courses you need before they finally introduce you to some basic quantum mechanics in the first year of a physics degree. what you will then find out is that you dont know much at all, and will then recap and go deeper again in the second and third years of your physics degree.

I did say I didn't want to be a genius. People don't get it. I just want to be more familiar with it and get the basics of what it's about ! Stop bullying me you evil people ... WAAAA~!! -MISAKI CRIES HER HEART OUT-
Yes
Reply 90
I did say I didn't want to be a genius. People don't get it. I just want to be more familiar with it and get the basics of what it's about ! Stop bullying me you evil people ... WAAAA~!! -MISAKI CRIES HER HEART OUT-
Yes

i know you said you didnt want to be a genious:
I dont mean that I want to become a genius and maybe come up with my own theories and stuff. No, no. Just study it and know what it's about and perhaps do some questions and stuff so I can become pretty familiar with it.

but you said you wanted to be able to do some questions. you wont be able to do questions.

like i said, you can get a qualitative idea from pop science books.

were not bullying you, youre just being oversensitive and not listening to the good advice.

stop talking in the third person.
Yes

why don't you just ignore those who have misunderstood you? many others have given you useful advice
you have now titles, links and all
stop complaining about ''evil people'' (I don't really think they are)
Original post by RK92

but you said you wanted to be able to do some questions. you wont be able to do questions.

were not bullying you, youre just being oversensitive and not listening to the good advice.

This

Original post by RK92

misaki can talk in whatever person she wants
doesn
Reply 94
Quantum Physics....

How to explain in a few sentences????

1) Everything is made of particles. Atoms are made of protons, neutrons and electrons. Light is made of photons.

2) The electromagnetic force responsible for attracting positive protons to negative electrons is caused by the exchange of photons.

3) Electricity is caused by electrons flowing round a wire

4) When an electron accelerates such as in a variable electric circuit it emits photons. The rate of this oscillation emits photons of different phases at a certain frequency and wavelength.

NOW THE QUANTUM MECHANICS BIT (actually QUANTUM ELECTRODYNAMICS)

5) To calculate the PROBABILITY that you will detect a photon at a detector, calculate EVERY POSSIBLE path from the source to the detector and add up the final PHASE that the photon reaches the detector. (This is hard because there are an infinite number of paths a photon could take, but there are some tricks to simplify it). Square the answer to get the probability.

6) When an electron moves, the phase of it also changes. (Think of a little arrow rotating).

7) Protons are made of quarks which are held together by the exchange of gluon particles.

8) Gravity is thought to be the exchange of graviton particles. (But physicists are still trying to work this one out!)

9) Recently some scientists think that all particles can be described as little strings (called String Theory).

That's more or less it.

Oh also:

10) Reflection of light is caused by an electron in an atom on the mirror absorbing a photon of light and then emitting it shortly afterwards.
(edited 13 years ago)
There is no harm in trying, lots of people have already recommended books but one I like is 'How to teach your dog Quantum Physics' It's a really good read! :smile:
What learning physics is like:

GCSE - You think you understand, as soon as you get to A-Level, you realise it's all wrong and have to relearn everything properly.

A-Level - It's harder but you finally think you understand. Get to undergrad, realise its all wrong again.

Undergrad - In the first years you feel as if you are only skimming over everything, lots of unanswered questions. Then you realise that in order to answer then you need to be really really good at maths.
Original post by MillerTraub

Original post by MillerTraub
What learning physics is like:

GCSE - You think you understand, as soon as you get to A-Level, you realise it's all wrong and have to relearn everything properly.

A-Level - It's harder but you finally think you understand. Get to undergrad, realise its all wrong again.

Undergrad - In the first years you feel as if you are only skimming over everything, lots of unanswered questions. Then you realise that in order to answer then you need to be really really good at maths.

I only want to do physics for A Level, not a degree. But can I ask a question?..
Well people are always telling me what you learn at A level is a advanced and more detailed physics about why things are happening - it's an add on to GCSE. so surely, what you learn at gcse isn't wrong!? You're worrying me...
I'm quite sure that, unless you're a child prodigy or something, attempting to understand QP before you've studied advanced mathematics (especially calculus) will be, at best, futile and, at worst, will completely put you off.

My advice would be to read some popular science books (perhaps 'a brief history of time') just to whet your appetite, until you're better equipped to deal with, what is probably, the most difficult concept to attempt to understand of any field you care to mention.
Reply 99
No offence but unless you can do a lot of maths (more than a-level) you're really not going to be able to do the interesting stuff.

Whether you're just interested in showing off, or are actually interested, you'll get some basics from reading pop science books. But all the ones I've ever read essentially go on for ever about the same thing.

The most useful is probably just reading ahead, read about GCSE maths & physics, then A level maths, physics & further maths, then some basic linear algebra, at which point you'll be ready to jump in to quantum mechanics properly. EDIT: you'll need some: calculus, multi variable calculus, vec calculus as well.
Some universities upload there lectures so you could watch them for free, for example:
http://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/Feed/ox-ac-uk-public-dz.4245209547.04245209549
(not the best lecturer ever but he's alright)
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest