The Student Room Group

EPQ ideas for physics/computer science

I'm in year 12 and I've just started looking at ideas for my EPQ in the field of physics, I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and chemistry but I'm also interested in computer science.
Originally I was interested in Quantum computing but that's quite vague and I'm not sure what a specific question would be.
Otherwise I was thinking of doing something on emergence
but I'm not sure how to structure either of those. I'm still open to switching topics completely as long as it is physics/computer science relevant and I'd be really grateful if anyone has any ideas or advice on which path I should take?
Thank you
Original post by 63737
I'm in year 12 and I've just started looking at ideas for my EPQ in the field of physics, I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and chemistry but I'm also interested in computer science.
Originally I was interested in Quantum computing but that's quite vague and I'm not sure what a specific question would be.
Otherwise I was thinking of doing something on emergence
but I'm not sure how to structure either of those. I'm still open to switching topics completely as long as it is physics/computer science relevant and I'd be really grateful if anyone has any ideas or advice on which path I should take?
Thank you

In the exact same position as you. I'm taking the same A levels as you. My Sixth Form are doing a physics Christmas project which can be turned into an EPQ. We are just doing making things that interest us, for example, I'm making a cricket bowling machine and documenting the process and I have peers making ping pong ball guns and electric skateboards. My advise is to just have fun with it. I find with more STEM based EPQs it's easier to craft something as it is hard to find original topics to explore as it has mostly been done. I recommend making a list of ideas discussing it with your teacher and choosing based on what's most creative, fun but also practical.
Reply 2
Original post by EmmaPoskitt
In the exact same position as you. I'm taking the same A levels as you. My Sixth Form are doing a physics Christmas project which can be turned into an EPQ. We are just doing making things that interest us, for example, I'm making a cricket bowling machine and documenting the process and I have peers making ping pong ball guns and electric skateboards. My advise is to just have fun with it. I find with more STEM based EPQs it's easier to craft something as it is hard to find original topics to explore as it has mostly been done. I recommend making a list of ideas discussing it with your teacher and choosing based on what's most creative, fun but also practical.

Thanks, I'll speak to my teacher. Also could I ask if you're you doing any other super curricular activities as well as the EPQ and what sort of course you'd like to do at uni because I'm still conflicted and it's interesting to see what other people are doing
Original post by 63737
Thanks, I'll speak to my teacher. Also could I ask if you're you doing any other super curricular activities as well as the EPQ and what sort of course you'd like to do at uni because I'm still conflicted and it's interesting to see what other people are doing

I've done the UKMT maths challenge and the physics Olympiad this year but I'm doing them again in year 13 to try and get a better score. I'm also asking my sixth about university summer courses and I've started preparing for the STEP maths exam (the entrance exam for some universities). I am also undecided about what Uni course I want to do because there are so many to choose from. I'm hoping I can do a summer course, which will help me decide. I'm trying to choose between a maths degree or a physics degree, I've been watching online MIT lectures and I still enjoy both maths and physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending