The Student Room Group

Anyone applied from X uni to Oxbridge?

NB: please don't tell me not to reapply "just cos I shouldn't' as there are course/personal reasons for a possible move rather than just vanity. Without being rude, I'd like to hear from people who have tried out the following/know someone who has and to hear your pros/cons, not just random people opining.

I'm just interested as to whether anyone on here has reapplied for Oxbridge whilst studying elsewhere.
I'm happy with my 1st choice uni at present, it genuinely was my top choice on a par with Ox and its a top uni, plus two of my best friends will be joining me.
However, course isn't exactly what I want to a tee...

All my offers are the same grades so I'm picking the best one for me and putting another as an insurance even though this is unneccessary.
Ox course is exactly what I want and location is best (cue the violins - my dad has terminal cancer so I'd like the chance to stay closer to London), and my feedback was encouraging (i.e. interview performance was good but there were too many of us) so I don't really see the harm in just having another app in the cycle whilst I study at uni X.

I don't really want to lose my current firm as it is a good uni and admittedly, I'm just being greedy.

Anyone here gone to a uni and got a second Ox interview? (or a first if you didn't apply in your first UCAS cycle?)
Did you get an offer?
And ultimately, could you/did you leave your uni?

Oh, and I know I probably won't get in, its just another option, so please don't think I'm being arrogant/delusional!!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmm, off the top of my head I only remember someone who applied to Homerton for Classics two years ago, during his first year at Manchester(?), but that's pretty much it... As far as I recall he had an interview.
On the Oxford forum, though, there are a lot of people who ask about this, but not very many of them actually end up applying - or if they do they don't seem to talk about it very much (perhaps because they're afraid of hostile reactions).

jismith1989
x

You're bound to be more help to the OP than me in this...:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hobnob
Hmm, off the top of my head I only remember someone who applied to Homerton for Classics two years ago, during his first year at Manchester(?), but that's pretty much it... As far as I recall he had an interview.
On the Oxford forum, though, there are a lot of people who ask about this, but not very many of them actually end up applying - or if they do they don't seem to talk about it very much (perhaps because they're afraid of hostile reactions).

You're bound to be more help to the OP than me in this...:smile:

Thanks anyways hobnob - I'm not 100% sure I'll end up applying but I think its only worth if it I get some A*s in the bag now...
Original post by chickenkatsu
Thanks anyways hobnob - I'm not 100% sure I'll end up applying but I think its only worth if it I get some A*s in the bag now...

Go for it I say. You don't lose anything, apart from a tenner in UCAS costs, and you may end up regretting it if you don't apply. I applied from my current course for a completely unrelated subject, but one which I am more interested in. I ended up getting rejected, but now I am really relaxed about the fact I'm not doing my top choice course, because I at least tried. I don't even think about it anymore, whereas before I applied it really bothered me.
Reply 4
I personally know someone who started a degree at another uni, reapplied to Cambridge before the end of his/her first year, got in at the first round, started the first year again at Cam and came top of the year in his/her subject. So it can be done. Effectively you apply against the same field who apply to Oxbridge and will be admitted or rejected on the same terms. Don't make the mistake of thinking it all comes down to getting A*s though - that's what everyone gets. You have to give a killer interview and convince them that you are obsessive-compulsive about your subject.

Your place at your first choice should be safe if you ask them to defer for a year - though if it moves a 2011 start to 2012 then you'll have the higher fees (which you also will if you try for Oxbridge, as you could only get in for 2012 now). So it's not just the extra tenner you'll have to find. It's unlikely your uni would decline and may even be obliged to grant your request. I honestly don't know how it works with UCAS though and you may have to come clean. Even then, if they like the cut of your jib, they aren't likely to take your offer away (and maybe obliged, etc - esp with the personal reasons you cite).

Alternatively, if you would like to be nearer to London, have you thought about applying to ... London? I hear those colleges are pretty good.
Reply 5
Original post by saster
I personally know someone who started a degree at another uni, reapplied to Cambridge before the end of his/her first year, got in at the first round, started the first year again at Cam and came top of the year in his/her subject. So it can be done. Effectively you apply against the same field who apply to Oxbridge and will be admitted or rejected on the same terms. Don't make the mistake of thinking it all comes down to getting A*s though - that's what everyone gets. You have to give a killer interview and convince them that you are obsessive-compulsive about your subject.

Your place at your first choice should be safe if you ask them to defer for a year - though if it moves a 2011 start to 2012 then you'll have the higher fees (which you also will if you try for Oxbridge, as you could only get in for 2012 now). So it's not just the extra tenner you'll have to find. It's unlikely your uni would decline and may even be obliged to grant your request. I honestly don't know how it works with UCAS though and you may have to come clean. Even then, if they like the cut of your jib, they aren't likely to take your offer away (and maybe obliged, etc - esp with the personal reasons you cite).

Alternatively, if you would like to be nearer to London, have you thought about applying to ... London? I hear those colleges are pretty good.

You can't reapply to new unis whilst holding a deferred offer in UCAS. You have to withdraw from your deferred uni (so you have no offers) and reapply during your gap year.
Reply 6
I had a friend who started Uni this year at Imperial (studying maths), but started up another UCAS and applied only for Oxford this year. He got a place and is starting there from September, so it definitely can be done.
Reply 7
It is possible but very rare - is it really worth it? It will be hard to settle in a place if you are expecting/hoping to move!
Reply 8
Thanks for the help so far all.

Original post by cris1234
It is possible but very rare - is it really worth it? It will be hard to settle in a place if you are expecting/hoping to move!

It really would be just speculation, and I do think I could cope with leaving uni X as the course really would require lots of study in an area that I'm not 100% sure about.

Original post by Musty_Elbow
Go for it I say. You don't lose anything, apart from a tenner in UCAS costs, and you may end up regretting it if you don't apply. I applied from my current course for a completely unrelated subject, but one which I am more interested in. I ended up getting rejected, but now I am really relaxed about the fact I'm not doing my top choice course, because I at least tried. I don't even think about it anymore, whereas before I applied it really bothered me.

Original post by olipal
I had a friend who started Uni this year at Imperial (studying maths), but started up another UCAS and applied only for Oxford this year. He got a place and is starting there from September, so it definitely can be done.

You are echoing my thoughts exactly...I just want to see if it could be done. I'm not expecting anything to come of it but going for single honours in the subject I would be studying at my 1st choice uni (the subject I did best at interview with)/keeping it in the background/setting my mind at rest perhaps.

Original post by saster

I'm hoping to get the A*s simply because I supposedly had 1 v good interview this time in the subject I'd be reapplying for and 2 not so good ones in the subject I no longer wish to study (I made myself sit the pre-interview test knowing this really, stupiiidd).

I want the A*s to kind of put everything together...most of my interview in the reapplication subject was about the freelancing I kind of fell into, tutors had liked some of my work under my real name (not chickenkatsu coincidentally!) and I think perhaps academically I was 'strong' but finished A Levels might help...?!

As for London, I have 1 offer but the course isn't as good as Uni X where I'm probably going.

Original post by angelmxxx
You can't reapply to new unis whilst holding a deferred offer in UCAS. You have to withdraw from your deferred uni (so you have no offers) and reapply during your gap year.

And this is true, hence why I'd be speculatively doing it at uni rather than asking them to defer.
Reply 9
Have you thought about finance? If you drop out after the tuition fee deadline (which I think is early December) then student finance may not fund your last year at Oxford if you get in. So you could have to pay the equivalent or lower qualification price upfront and not get a maintenance loan for your final year. The ELQ price can be the international price or it might just be the equivalent of the home fee price - but that would still be £9000!

Why not just have a gap year and reapply to 5 unis? Then you can work out what subject you really want to do, avoid paying lots of money for accommodation (which won't be refunded), paying tuition fees for half a year, and spend a year reading around the subject that interests you, and getting some work experience/going travelling/etc?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
PS: I haven't made it v clear but I've improved in my subject already and will improve in my subject soo much over the summer and ofc when I start at uni...I understand that rejection '10 could easily be rejection '11 if I stay complacent......
PS: I haven't made it v clear but I've improved in my subject already and will improve in my subject soo much over the summer and ofc when I start at uni...I understand that rejection '10 could easily be rejection '11 if I stay complacent......

Also, what's the course? (just out of interest.) Would you be able to read books you are interested in as well as keep up with your course reading at your first university?
Reply 12
Have you thought about finance? If you drop out after the tuition fee deadline (which I think is early December) then student finance may not fund your last year at Oxford if you get in. So you could have to pay the equivalent or lower qualification price upfront and not get a maintenance loan for your final year. The ELQ price can be the international price or it might just be the equivalent of the home fee price - but that would still be £9000!

I have thought about that - it would be a huge consideration as well, and I wouldn't want to be landed with even more debt...
However, I'd have three years to work out arrangements if I did get in (as well as those months if I were to drop out, where I would be looking to save money).
Original post by olipal

Who did his reference?
I have thought about that - it would be a huge consideration as well, and I wouldn't want to be landed with even more debt...
However, I'd have three years to work out arrangements if I did get in (as well as those months if I were to drop out, where I would be looking to save money).

You would've spent £1000s on your 1st year accommodation so not sure you'd be saving money (you can't usually stay in uni halls if you leave the university but still have to pay for them!) but I see what you mean. You may as well stay at the uni for the full year and get a certificate of HE - that way you're actually getting something for you tuition and accommodation fees.

I really think the gap year plan is the option personally. Trying to save up £9000 fees (minimum, could be up to £20,000!) + £4000 for accommodation + £1000ish for living costs over 3 years isn't really viable.
Reply 15
Also, what's the course? (just out of interest.) Would you be able to read books you are interested in as well as keep up with your course reading at your first university?

It's a modern language. Sending my application before I get to uni so reading will be done mostly. Spending literally whole summer in the country working, and then coming back to a course which doesnt jump into literature.

edit: country eg the target country
(edited 13 years ago)
It's a modern language. Sending my application before I get to uni so reading will be done mostly. Spending literally whole summer in the country working, and then coming back to a course which doesnt jump into literature.

edit: country eg the target country

Would you consider spending a gap year working in the country or something? Also, modern languages aren't very popular - you might be able to get into a course you like more in extra/adjustment? I know Bristol and other high-ranking unis have allowed people to switch onto their modern language courses in the last couple of years.

EDIT - Bristol and Bath have places in extra for some languages.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
You would've spent £1000s on your 1st year accommodation so not sure you'd be saving money (you can't usually stay in uni halls if you leave the university but still have to pay for them!) but I see what you mean. You may as well stay at the uni for the full year and get a certificate of HE - that way you're actually getting something for you tuition and accommodation fees.

I really think the gap year plan is the option personally. Trying to save up £9000 fees (minimum, could be up to £20,000!) + £4000 for accommodation + £1000ish for living costs over 3 years isn't really viable.

yup thats a lot of money but I think I could avoid this as I've seen the formula of:

(years of course (eg 4) + 1 year -previously funded years (eg 1 at the first uni) = entitlement to 4 year loan.
yup thats a lot of money but I think I could avoid this as I've seen the formula of:

(years of course (eg 4) + 1 year -previously funded years (eg 1 at the first uni) = entitlement to 4 year loan.

Oh, ok. Definitely check - probably best to ring up student finance as their website isn't that helpful. Maybe pretend you're in the situation where you want to change unis already to avoid confusion?

Also, just read your OP again and surely a gap year would mean you could stay closer to your family too? Unless there isn't really space for you to live at home or something - obviously depends on your circumstances.
Reply 19
Oh, ok. Definitely check - probably best to ring up student finance as their website isn't that helpful. Maybe pretend you're in the situation where you want to change unis already to avoid confusion?

Also, just read your OP again and surely a gap year would mean you could stay closer to your family too? Unless there isn't really space for you to live at home or something - obviously depends on your circumstances.

Thanks for your help :smile: I could definitely stay at home but it might cause even more problems and stresses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending