The Student Room Group

How do I balance league tables vs course content when choosing a uni?

I have always been a high achiever, and there is a lot of pressure (both external and internal) for me to go to a top university like Oxbridge, Durham, St Andrews etc. However, when I have looked into the courses and modules offered by these universities, I don't like them as much as the courses offered by other unis such as Sheffield and Glasgow.

If I go to a top uni, despite the course being less relevant, I may not enjoy my time there. On the other hand, if I go to a lower university because I love the course, I will always regret missing out on the Oxbridge/Durham/St Andrews experience, and feel guilty about my decision, as though I have disappointed myself and everyone around me due to their high expectations.

Does anyone have any advice on how to balance this? I am applying for Computer Science or Software engineering btw! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by peachysxnrise
I have always been a high achiever, and there is a lot of pressure (both external and internal) for me to go to a top university like Oxbridge, Durham, St Andrews etc. However, when I have looked into the courses and modules offered by these universities, I don't like them as much as the courses offered by other unis such as Sheffield and Glasgow.

If I go to a top uni, despite the course being less relevant, I may not enjoy my time there. On the other hand, if I go to a lower university because I love the course, I will always regret missing out on the Oxbridge/Durham/St Andrews experience, and feel guilty about my decision, as though I have disappointed myself and everyone around me due to their high expectations.

Does anyone have any advice on how to balance this? I am applying for Computer Science or Software engineering btw! Thanks :smile:

Reputation is irrelevant for CS degrees - choose an accredited course with a year in indsutry so you are going to get a job. There's no point in studying content you aren't interested in and League tables are too flawed to take any notice of.
Sorry I don't have any advice but I would just say this- at the end of the day, don't worry about disappointing others. Its your life, not theirs, where you go will affect you much more than it affects them. Make yourself happy.
Reply 3
Ignore all League Tables and 'rankings' - they are essentially a meaningless bit of marketing twaddle.

They cannot tell you if you will enjoy that course or like being at that Uni - remember that iit is perfectly possible to be thoroughly miserable at a 'top' Uni because you didnt think about the reality of being at that Uni or didnt look carefully enough at the course structure / content.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all carefully - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Original post by peachysxnrise

Hiya! I'm in my final year of Computer Science at university and I was going through the exact same problem when I was applying too! I can confidently say that picking a course you think you'll enjoy will be infinitely better than picking one you don't think you will. The modules offered should further your interest in CS (or a certain area of CS) and it's better to be assessed on something you enjoy.

As for the league table thing, I feel like even if you are happy with the university you end up in you'll still occasionally think of what would've happened if you'd picked X university but that's just something that comes with making decisions. I'd encourage going to the open days of universities you're interested in applying to, seeing the campuses in real life and talking to the CS lecturers and students there as that may help your decision. And don't worry about what you may feel in the future! Whether you'll feel guilty etc. As long as you're happy at uni when you get there, those kinds of feelings won't matter so much.

So yeah, make the most of your time at uni. The university experience depends highly on what you make of it. And take the time to choose the unis you apply to carefully. You'll be spending 3+ years there and it's best to pick universities and courses that will facilitate your learning and interests. That's what uni's for after all!

I hope that helps! Best of luck for the future.

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya! I'm in my final year of Computer Science at university and I was going through the exact same problem when I was applying too! I can confidently say that picking a course you think you'll enjoy will be infinitely better than picking one you don't think you will. The modules offered should further your interest in CS (or a certain area of CS) and it's better to be assessed on something you enjoy.

As for the league table thing, I feel like even if you are happy with the university you end up in you'll still occasionally think of what would've happened if you'd picked X university but that's just something that comes with making decisions. I'd encourage going to the open days of universities you're interested in applying to, seeing the campuses in real life and talking to the CS lecturers and students there as that may help your decision. And don't worry about what you may feel in the future! Whether you'll feel guilty etc. As long as you're happy at uni when you get there, those kinds of feelings won't matter so much.

So yeah, make the most of your time at uni. The university experience depends highly on what you make of it. And take the time to choose the unis you apply to carefully. You'll be spending 3+ years there and it's best to pick universities and courses that will facilitate your learning and interests. That's what uni's for after all!

I hope that helps! Best of luck for the future.

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Thank you so much! That was really helpful, I'm glad other people can relate to my experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending