The Student Room Group

Crimes against style that you've committed...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I do occasionally wear peep-toe heels with TIGHTS UNDERNEATH

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Original post by py0alb
I think your definitions are the wrong way round. Fashions change quickly. Style changes slowly.

The fashion industry throws lots of ideas out, and some of them catch the imagination of the general populace and become "fashionable". (Some fashions originate in other segments of popular culture of course) Some fashions are good, some are bad. The bad ones get quietly discarded and laughed at 10 years later on "I heart the 80s" shows, the good ones get amalgamated into this theoretical concept of "style".

No one person defines what is or is not "stylish"; it is a constantly updating concept, and everyone will generally have their own interpretation upon which bits of the entire they wear. An analogy would be to compare individual styles to a form of parole, chosen from the superset of style or langue.

Oops, I was using "fashionable" and "stylish" interchangably. Sorry for the confusion. :getmecoat:

Don't think I can disagree with any of that, to be honest. :tongue:

Original post by nnnomi
I do occasionally wear peep-toe heels with TIGHTS UNDERNEATH

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Ah, that's a debatable one. One of the supply teachers at my school does too. Saying that, she also wore an orange skirt with purple tights the other day. >_>
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
I have my girlfriend choose what im going to wear, i am absolutley terrible at spotting what goes with what. I'll happily go out in a in a yellow tshirt wearing jeans and big military boots (i have done this before) Admittley i've learnt a bit from her, but when it comes down to it, if left to my own devices, everyday would be a crime against fashion for me.
Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~
Haha, I remember when I was about 12 I used to have one of those neon pink zip up "Punkyfish" tops that had about a zillion zips. This was paired with some horrific baggy jeans from Tammy Girl, plastic beaded bracelets and a handwoven multi-coloured bag from the local "ethnic" shop. Oh dear god. Luckily when I started year 9 I threw it all away and started to get some style!

I did exactly that! I only stopped when I went to a party wearing it and one of the boys unzipped all the zips...
I also went through a kind of grunge stage at about 14, when I wore dark baggy clothes and skate boarding shoes. Sad times.
Reply 24
Original post by Rascacielos
I guess you have to differentiate between what is 'stylish' according to what the world' fashion houses dictate and 'fashionable' according to what the majority wear. When I was at London Fashion Week a couple of months ago, I remember noting that a male model from Burberry, I believe, did indeed have his trousers tucked into his socks. As ridiculous as that may have looked, I guess it's an indicator that fashion designers are trying to introduce that look into contemporary fashion. However, I take your point that it will probably never fit into the "classic spectrum" of what the average man wears, but if your definition of "stylish" is "what the leading fashion designers are producing," then things get a little more complicated.

Yes, but I always see fashion like that as "art for its own sake" rather than something I'd actually wear in public. I take my cues on classic style both from my own imagination and from the well-dressed men of the world (Prince Philip tbh :coma:), both past and present, rather than designers or indeed "the average man" - as long as it's not something that would really cause the average man to stare or laugh at you. That is really the best way to avoid straying beyond the boundaries of good taste whilst showing your individuality, in my opinion. But I do see your point about what it's like for women - I hadn't really considered that when making the thread. :yy:
(edited 13 years ago)
my fashion faux-pas, according to friends, family, and other:

* refusal to ever wear dresses or skirts...i much prefer wearing shorts when the weather is suitable (like today! :'D), because i feel like some kind of youthful adventurer
* only wearing skinny-fit jeans......no bootleg cut, flares,etc in my wardrobe atall
* having a red (with white stripes + logo) 1970s adidas tracksuit jacket as my favourite coat
* exclusively wearing old hi-top trainers when not at work/other formal occasions.......nike being the brand of choice ;D i've not bought/received a new pair of shoes since 2008, cause i pick shoes that go with everything (in my opinion,at least), and wear them to death ;D
* wearing a coloured bra (usually black, red,, or my favourite lime green bikini bra) underneath a white top...... i prefer wearing white on my upperhalf as it makes me feel angelic :'D

.......then there is the refusal to dye my grey hair (i'm all grey as of age 19),a decision that only gets approval from my parents as they think it looks striking (i agree) ;D

im sure there are plenty more as well........im probably not concious of/aware of/bothered by them though x
I went through this stage too. Although, I have to admit, I still have one of the dresses I bought and I still think it's beautiful. It looked a little like this, just without the handkerchief bit at the bottom:

:colone:

Until you mentioned the indecent pencil skirts etc, I was about to object to this point! The pin up look is great if you get it right. :smile:

Your dress sounds lovely! I still have lots of my old stuff too - shame I so rarely get the opportunity to wear very much of it, I'm astounded I thought it was appropriate in the middle of the day back then! I agree that pin up style is wonderful when done right, unfortunately I was doing it right for somebody a couple of dress sizes smaller than me though! Luckily I've always been slim so it didn't look dreadful, but I've got a very pronounced hourglass shape so I literally couldn't do up the top three or four buttons on my blouses or walk without crossing my legs over in front of each other :redface:. Bad times...
okay, fashion misdemeanors...well, any thing with trackies. when i was 12 my dad developed a phase of insead of getting me new clothes, he would just give me/make me wear my older brother's handed down trackies. then the fashion moved to stuff from primark. basically fake valore trakies, and ordinary trackies with bright pink stretch t-shirts. then at 13+ i was shoved into sainsbury's stuff - still ****, but i guess it was a step up from **** trackies. now i had **** jeans. as my parents were super-protective, going out for my shopping was out of bounds. and as my parents favoured supermarket clothes and M&S, my fashion was always bad.
i am currently on a diet, but hopefully before i go to uni,i will be skinny and buy some new nice clothes from girly shops :smile: x
Reply 28
Crocs.
Original post by MsAnnThropic
Your dress sounds lovely! I still have lots of my old stuff too - shame I so rarely get the opportunity to wear very much of it, I'm astounded I thought it was appropriate in the middle of the day back then! I agree that pin up style is wonderful when done right, unfortunately I was doing it right for somebody a couple of dress sizes smaller than me though! Luckily I've always been slim so it didn't look dreadful, but I've got a very pronounced hourglass shape so I literally couldn't do up the top three or four buttons on my blouses or walk without crossing my legs over in front of each other :redface:. Bad times...

Oh dear. :eek:
Still, we live and we learn.

Original post by rmanoj
Yes, but I always see fashion like that as "art for its own sake" rather than something I'd actually wear in public. I take my cues on classic style both from my own imagination and from the well-dressed men of the world (Prince Philip tbh :coma:), both past and present, rather than designers or indeed "the average man" - as long as it's not something that would really cause the average man to stare or laugh at you. That is really the best way to avoid straying beyond the boundaries of good taste whilst showing your individuality, in my opinion. But I do see your point about what it's like for women - I hadn't really considered that when making the thread. :yy:

Oh, I entirely agree with you, hence my first sarcastic point about this thread. :tongue: It's great to have your own style. However there's obviously always going to be a grey area between what's individual yet still acceptable and what's just a plain crime against fashion. I fear socks and trousers are going to fall into that grey area soon, as I see more and more people wearing them... Or maybe that's just me. >_>

Prince Philip is certainly an interesting fashion role model to have though. Any particular reason?

Original post by meenu89
Crocs.

Ah yes, crocs. Only acceptable when seen in a rubbish bin.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30

Oh, I entirely agree with you, hence my first sarcastic point about this thread. :tongue: It's great to have your own style. However there's obviously always going to be a grey area between what's individual yet still acceptable and what's just a plain crime against fashion. I fear socks and trousers are going to fall into that grey area soon, as I see more and more people wearing them... Or maybe that's just me. >_>

Prince Philip is certainly an interesting fashion role model to have though. Any particular reason?

In 1947 with the future Queen - look at the lapel roll on that jacket:

Spoiler

There are few things more elegant than a well-fitting naval no.1 uniform

Spoiler

Except perhaps naval full-dress

Spoiler

Perfectly fitting morning dress (apparently he still has those trousers and had them re-cut to be slimmer, decades later!)

Spoiler

And finally, compare these two men. One of them knows how to wear white tie. The other.......well, what do you expect from him?

Spoiler

Bush is simply awful there - ill-fitting rented coat and trousers, turndown collar shirt, and waistcoat extending beneath the coat fronts. The contrast with the Duke is ridiculous. :facepalm2:
Original post by rmanoj
In 1947 with the future Queen - look at the lapel roll on that jacket:

Spoiler

There are few things more elegant than a well-fitting naval no.1 uniform

Spoiler

Except perhaps naval full-dress

Spoiler

Perfectly fitting morning dress (apparently he still has those trousers and had them re-cut to be slimmer, decades later!)

Spoiler

And finally, compare these two men. One of them knows how to wear white tie. The other.......well, what do you expect from him?

Spoiler

Bush is simply awful there - ill-fitting rented coat and trousers, turndown collar shirt, and waistcoat extending beneath the coat fronts. The contrast with the Duke is ridiculous. :facepalm2:

Well, true, although I suppose you have to grant Bush a little leeway, given that white tie is a very typically English fashion, and less so American.

I do agree with you though - the Duke is impeccably dressed, although I have to say, you're the first male I've met who pays such close attention to detail!
Reply 32
I remember in primary school it was fashionable to wear these skirt/trouser all in one things...
...sort of like this

Spoiler

Reply 33
On guide camp I spent the week with over the knee lenth multi-coloured stripey socks over my skinny jeans (obvs, different pairs) Was easier with all the mud and a whole group of us did it, as we thought we looked so cool. Highly entertaining :biggrin:
Reply 34
Well, true, although I suppose you have to grant Bush a little leeway, given that white tie is a very typically English fashion, and less so American.

I do agree with you though - the Duke is impeccably dressed, although I have to say, you're the first male I've met who pays such close attention to detail!

Thanks!

Don't want to derail the thread, but I just can't let that one go:

Spoiler

If even Nixon could do it...

Edit: And of course, if we're just talking about Americans in general:

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rmanoj
Thanks!

Don't want to derail the thread, but I just can't let that one go:

Spoiler

If even Nixon could do it...

Edit: And of course, if we're just talking about Americans in general:

Spoiler

Ok, ok. I accept your point! :tongue:

Bush was just obviously having a bad day. (Sorry, I'm a little biased in favour of Bush seeing as I slept in the same hotel as him once... it distorts your view of politics a bit!).
Reply 36
I've done the emo, goth and scene phrase.
Bright green tutu and stripey knee high socks anyone?

Then in my wardrobe, everything used to be black, I refused to buy clothes in any other shade/colours.

I used to have pink trousers...and green and blue...
What can I say...I was well sexy. :rolleyes:
Reply 37
Ok, ok. I accept your point! :tongue:

Bush was just obviously having a bad day. (Sorry, I'm a little biased in favour of Bush seeing as I slept in the same hotel as him once... it distorts your view of politics a bit!).

Haha, I'm only like this when it comes to clothes, I promise. :biggrin: (Although, being a politics student, I could...).

Anyway, to get back on topic, I think once when I was about twelve or thirteen, I went out in a straw hat, sunglasses and a black hoodie. :cool:. A random man came up to me and told me I looked like a Mexican gangster (wtf? it wasn't even a sombrero).
Original post by rmanoj
Haha, I'm only like this when it comes to clothes, I promise. :biggrin: (Although, being a politics student, I could...).

Anyway, to get back on topic, I think once when I was about twelve or thirteen, I went out in a straw hat, sunglasses and a black hoodie. :cool:. A random man came up to me and told me I looked like a Mexican gangster (wtf? it wasn't even a sombrero).

I have one word to say to you:

AWESOME.
:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:

Edit: Those :adore: emoticons are cracking me up, particularly because they're bowing in perfect timing to my music. Thought you should know that. :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest