The Student Room Group

UK Police

Out of curiosity, I want to know what kind of encounters people have had with the police, whether it's positive or negative?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stacey_Dash
Out of curiosity, I want to know what kind of encounters people have had with the police, whether it's positive or negative?

Both positive and negative because the police are human being
Original post by looloo2134
Both positive and negative because the police are human being

Huh? I clearly asked for both positive and negative experiences of the police.

Are you simply looking for people to share their experiences or are you looking for a debate?
Original post by Talkative Toad
Are you simply looking for people to share their experiences or are you looking for a debate?

I think you are ignoring what I wrote. I am asking for people's experiences, out of curiosity. It seems like you're the only one looking for a debate.
I think you are ignoring what I wrote. I am asking for people's experiences, out of curiosity. It seems like you're the only one looking for a debate.

I'm not looking for a debate, the only reason why I asked that is so that I know where I can move the thread 🙄.

Moved the thread to civil service, public sector and public services hopefully you'll get more responses

No need to be mildly rude.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I'm not looking for a debate, the only reason why I asked that is so that I know where I can move the thread 🙄.

Moved the thread to civil service, public sector and public services hopefully you'll get more responses

No need to be mildly rude.

That's strange. I checked the forum, before I sent it off and it said "Civil Service, Public Sector and Public Services" but I'm sorry, it might have automatically changed forums before I sent my question.
That's strange. I checked the forum, before I sent it off and it said "Civil Service, Public Sector and Public Services" but I'm sorry, it might have automatically changed forums before I sent my question.

I see, yeah that could have happened.
People's experiences with the police will almost always be overwhelmingly negative, simply because at every level they will broadly be a victim or an offender. If you are an offender, even if it is a very minor incident you will generally not want to be told what to do. In almost every instance, when someone commits an offence, they either think they are justified in doing so, don't care that they are committing an offence, or do not realise that they are committing and offence. Under these circumstances, you will almost always resent the police for whatever action they take against you.

People are commonly thought of as being either anti-police or pro-police. This isn't true. People who are pro-police are generally only pro-police until they or a family member are the ones having enforcement action against them.

If you are a victim, it is unlikely that you will have a good experience with police, simply because the criminal justice system is overwhelmingly skewed in favour of criminals. The way that the police work will seem slow, tedious, bureaucratic and ineffective - because most of the time it is. All these things have generally ended up the way they are to have the effect of benefitting criminals rather than victims, even if that was not the original intent. If someone breaks into your house and steals your property, police will not usually respond very quickly because there are very few resources to do so and a burglary that has already occurred is not a priority. The best you can usually hope for is to make your own crime report online, a forensic officer visiting and maybe a PCSO knocking on your day two or three days later to give you some leaflets. You would of course like a police officer in a car to drive round immediately - but the truth is that will have no effect whatsoever. In real terms, the burglar is very unlikely to be caught unless there is some forensic evidence found. If this does happen, they will be given every possible benefit of the doubt and it will appear that the court system will be trying its hardest to either find them not guilty, or to give them the lightest possible sentence.
I'll make the assumption that lack of posts on this thread is because people have never really had an encounter with the police.

If anyone knows anybody else's stories about their encounters with the police, please feel free to share, if you want.
I'll make the assumption that lack of posts on this thread is because people have never really had an encounter with the police.

If anyone knows anybody else's stories about their encounters with the police, please feel free to share, if you want.

Call me crazy but I think your aggressive tone put people off.
Original post by StriderHort
Call me crazy but I think your aggressive tone put people off.

How am I being passive aggressive? How can you tell that I am being passive aggressive through text?
How am I being passive aggressive? How can you tell that I am being passive aggressive through text?

I said aggressive, not passive aggressive. Your replies to the volunteer were pretty abrupt and they obviously mentioned it themselves. Not being able to tell someone's tone by text works both ways.

I've been involved with the police in a number of ways over the years, either speaking to them regarding crimes of others or myself or through other areas such as peoples health and wellbeing and occasionally protesting against them. Is there something in particular you are curious about?
(edited 1 year ago)
I said aggressive, not passive aggressive. Your replies to the volunteer were pretty abrupt and they obviously mentioned it themselves. Not being able to tell someone's tone by text works both ways.

My reply to the volunteer was rude and I apologised for that, but how is that abrupt?

Also, you didn't even quote the aggressive thing that I said to the volunteer, in your last reply, you just quoted one of my latest posts of today. You are making it seem like I was being aggressive the whole time, when it was just one reply that I wrote poorly, I do regret that and I haven't deleted it because if I made a fool of myself, everyone should be able to see it.
(edited 1 year ago)

I've been involved with the police in a number of ways over the years, either speaking to them regarding crimes of others or myself or through other areas such as peoples health and wellbeing and occasionally protesting against them. Is there something in particular you are curious about?

I'm not looking for anything specific, anything will do! :smile:

1) What do you mean by health and wellbeing. Are you talking about welfare checks, crime etc?

2) Why do you protest against the police?
I'm not looking for anything specific, anything will do! :smile:

1) What do you mean by health and wellbeing. Are you talking about welfare checks, crime etc?

2) Why do you protest against the police?

1: Yes health and wellbeing inc welfare, when they've been alerted that someone is missing and they've forced entry and found someone badly ill, or if they've simply been first on the scene when someone is hurt which is often the case. I would not count crime as part of this.

2: I don't protest them in general, just when they're doing something I feel really wrong, in the last case it was because a load of Home Office cops had come up to Scotland to snatch people and near caused a riot without local police being consulted, they were losing control and getting ready for a mounted charge into the backs of the residents and that's when I jumped in the car to block their path.

What's your angle on this? Is it some kind of research, do you just want to know for your own curiosity?
Original post by Trinculo
What's your angle on this? Is it some kind of research, do you just want to know for your own curiosity?

Mostly for my own curiosity.

I study Criminology and Sociology and everything I see in the news about the police is very disheartening, I just want to know what the real reality of the police is.
Mostly for my own curiosity.

I study Criminology and Sociology and everything I see in the news about the police is very disheartening, I just want to know what the real reality of the police is.

What would you like to know? I'm a police officer.
Original post by Trinculo
What would you like to know? I'm a police officer.

Are you a real police officer?

I am not going to lie to you, but my thread was intended for people who have interacted with the police before, not actual police officers themselves. However, I am more than happy to listen to your story and hopefully I learn something new. In the past, I haven't had good experiences with the police in the past, but I don't want to make it about myself and I hope other people have had better experiences with the police.

My first question is how do you treat victims of crime and how does that differ from people who are accused of being perpetrators of crime?

My second question is how do you treat people who need welfare checks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending