The Student Room Group

No no no- the bbc axe needs to be blunt

I don't normally read the observer but came across this headline:

BBC sports rights face missing the cut
As the corporation and Sky go head-to-head with their Masters coverage, the terrestrial channel could lose Formula One, the Six Nations and the Olympics because of cuts in its budget
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/apr/10/1

Why is the BBC axing their coverage of F1, 6Nations and Olympics? I love the BBC coverage- In fact I would pay more for the licence fee (if I could) for the BBC to have coverage.

Why not axe their dire daytime schedules? It is full of repeats, old property and antiques shows? The BBC is dreadful during the daytime. I am sure they could then use that money saved to cover these events.

ITV and Sky will be competing for those rights- could it get any worse? I don't mind ITV though although I do love their random breaks when something happens (if you get me)....& Sky :rolleyes: (refers to the American football coverage/masters (BBC raped Sky))
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I hate their daytime shows and couldn't agree more with you. Only good thing is top gear, the comedy and their coverages.
Original post by Stratos
I hate their daytime shows and couldn't agree more with you. Only good thing is top gear, the comedy and their coverages.

plus dramas, films, news, documentaries, online (iplayer, web), radio etc... which the BBC does excel in...

Their daytime tv is dreadful.

They don't need axe their coverage of 6nations, f1 etc...If anything, the BBC would be fulling their legal obligations- inform, entertain and educate. I understand they need to make cuts, but what about the layers of management? In fact expand the BBC worldwide service, to bring in more money. They could do other things to increase revenue and spend that money on coverage ...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by The_Male_Melons
plus dramas, films, news, documentaries, online (iplayer, web), radio etc... which the BBC does excel in...

Their daytime tv is dreadful.

They don't need axe their coverage of 6nations, f1 etc...If anything, the BBC would be fulling their legal obligations- inform, entertain and educate. I understand they need to make cuts, but what about the layers of management? In fact expand the BBC worldwide service, to bring in more money. They could do other things to increase revenue and spend that money on coverage ...

Can't believe I forgot about those, especially their lovely documentaries.
Reply 4
I imagine their daytime shows are far, far cheaper than coverage of F1. I don't know any figures, but I imagine they pay a lot to cover the F1, Olympics and so on, whereas their crap Drama's can be made for a small cost.

Could be completley wrong though :redface:
Original post by Stratos
Can't believe I forgot about those, especially their lovely documentaries.

lool true. They even sell those documentaries abroad anyway, so I am sure those documentaries alot of revenue...
Original post by Steevee
I imagine their daytime shows are far, far cheaper than coverage of F1. I don't know any figures, but I imagine they pay a lot to cover the F1, Olympics and so on, whereas their crap Drama's can be made for a small cost.

Could be completley wrong though :redface:

Crap Drama- you can't say that. Luthur, Zen, Silk, Crimson Petal and The White, The Tudors, Rome, Saddam, loads loads and loads. Even Waterloo Road is watched in Russia :/. They do bring revenue in...

Their daytime tv is apparently cheap, but I am sure they could be axed and that money spent on covering the F1 and Olympics.
We pay TV License for what? For about 23 hours of boring s*** and then the odd hour of Top Gear. I'd rather opt out of paying for crap.
Reply 8
Original post by The_Male_Melons
Crap Drama- you can't say that. Luthur, Zen, Silk, Crimson Petal and The White, The Tudors, Rome, Saddam, loads loads and loads. Even Waterloo Road is watched in Russia :/. They do bring revenue in...

Their daytime tv is apparently cheap, but I am sure they could be axed and that money spent on covering the F1 and Olympics.

I know they do a lot of good drama, but equally they have a lot of daytime filler drama that is awful.
Reply 9
Do the BBC broadcast adverts on BBC America and international channels?

If not then they should. They can't be providing a service to international audiences without getting anything except views/hits in return.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending