The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04ghicks
More geordies! We're taking over oxford :biggrin: Well...all three of us...and one is from Prudhoe...does that count? XD

Im from wallsend, I got mistook for a scottish person :rolleyes:

We'll need all the help we can get :tongue: I can't believe they don't have Dickson's and saveloy dips!
Original post by micky022
We'll need all the help we can get :tongue: I can't believe they don't have Dickson's and saveloy dips!

Not a fan of the saveloy dip im afraid! My dad loves them but I never caught the bug :P

I just can't imagine a city without a greggs on every street corner :frown:
Not a fan of the saveloy dip im afraid! My dad loves them but I never caught the bug :P

I just can't imagine a city without a greggs on every street corner :frown:

I don't like them dipped, but stuffing and pease pudding...

I like how Shields has two within ten metres of each other :tongue:
I'm going to join the Army for a bit with my Law degree :tongue:
More geordies! We're taking over oxford :biggrin: Well...all three of us...and one is from Prudhoe...does that count? XD

Im from wallsend, I got mistook for a scottish person :rolleyes:

Lol, you think that's confusing, I'm originally from Northumberland (Cramlington, whoop whoop!) then moved to Scotland then moved down south to Surrey and now everyone thinks I'm from Canada and/or New Zealand cos my accent got so mucked up o.0 My Dad still lives in Gateshead so if I go back to visit him for more than a week I'll slip back into a geordie accent.
Original post by riotgrrl
Lol, you think that's confusing, I'm originally from Northumberland (Cramlington, whoop whoop!) then moved to Scotland then moved down south to Surrey and now everyone thinks I'm from Canada and/or New Zealand cos my accent got so mucked up o.0 My Dad still lives in Gateshead so if I go back to visit him for more than a week I'll slip back into a geordie accent.

Heh, that must have been an odd conversation :tongue:

"Are you from Canada then?"

Eh...what?

"Yeah you sound Canadian?"

I've never even been to Canada! :s-smilie:

Eh...what?

If you ever meet someone with an American sounding accent, ask if they're Canadian first. It scores you brownie points with them if they're actually Canadian :tongue:

Eh...what?

Actually I had a much weirder one. Two girls came up to me-

Girl 1: Excuse me, are you South African?
Me: Ummm, no.
Girl 1: Are you sure?
Me: Very sure.
Girl 2: See, I TOLD YOU she's Canadian!!!
-both walk off-
Me: :lolwut:
I'm really not sure...I think I'd like to maybe work for like the Foreign Office or the Civil Service or something. I like filling in forms :tongue: hehe. I'd really like a job where I get to travel a bit, so maybe I could work for an ambassador or something? I'm not too fussed.
I'd ideally LOVE to work for BBC News, however my journalistic skills kind of fail so I don't see that happening :tongue:
Original post by flywithemma
I'm really not sure...I think I'd like to maybe work for like the Foreign Office or the Civil Service or something. I like filling in forms :tongue: hehe. I'd really like a job where I get to travel a bit, so maybe I could work for an ambassador or something? I'm not too fussed.
I'd ideally LOVE to work for BBC News, however my journalistic skills kind of fail so I don't see that happening :tongue:

I'm doing geography and im not sure what I want to do either :P

I think it would be interesting to work for local/ central government doing something to do with development or something equally as vague sounding! Otherwise I think it would be cool to be an academic or go travel the world looking at...geography and...stuff.

Does anyone have some really arsey friends who are like "Well at least I know what I'm doing with my degree." I have a medic and an engineering friend who do this to me and its really annoying! Damn them and their niche vocational arrogance!
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I'd love to stay in education for ever collecting qualifications like Pokemon, but that categorically won't happen :frown:

Ooh. Ditto.
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I'd love to stay in education for ever collecting qualifications like Pokemon, but that categorically won't happen :frown:

I kinda feel like this. I'm mostly planning on doing a PhD (unless I'm sick of it all by then!) and then going into research/becoming a lecturer (and doing research). Because that way, although I'm not accumulating qualifications, I'm still learning (and even learning things that have never been learnt before!), and really that's what I like about education, rather than pointing smugly to my GCSEs and A-levels etc

So if you look at it that way... it can happen! :smile:
this is a standard 'I want to be at Oxford now' post
Reply 1173
Hey I doubt I'm the only person who has a million questions about starting uni so I thought I would make a thread for typical pre-freshers questions :smile: Any advice is much appreciated! :biggrin: (some of my questions are just for Christ Church but others are general)

1. Where is the nearest laundry?
2. How much does it cost?
3. Do we clean our own rooms and bathrooms?
4. Do I need to bring a hoover?
5. Do I need to bring an iron and ironing board or is there a shared one?
6. Is it a good idea to bring your own printer?
7. Are you allowed to put any pins/blue-tack on the walls?
8. How many pillows are provided?
9. Do I need to bring my own duvet?
10. What sort of things do they serve for breakfast and lunch?
11. Is there a curfew for coming back to halls at night?
12. What sort of typical fancy dress nights are there?
13. Is it better to bring a TV or just watch programmes and films on your laptop?
14. What goes on for new Christ Church students during fresher’s week?
15. What are the most popular bars and clubs?
16. Have you got any tips for fresher’s week?
17. Where can I buy sub fusc?
18. Does everyone get a college hoody?
19. What is Iffley Road gym like?
20. What are the most important things to bring to uni?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 1174

I can answer a few of the more general things:
3) Your scout will come in roughly once a week to do a hoover, linen change (although at Magdalen you change it yourself, she just leaves the clean linen for you), clean of the sink etc, while our bins get emptied every day.
4) No. Your scout will probably do this, and it'll just get in the way.
6) Yes, definitely, if you will be writing essays or downloading problem sheets/presentations (sciences). I nearly didn't bring one and am so glad I did!
7) It depends. At Magdalen it is pins in cork boards only - but as my room doesn't have any(!), and no-one really cares, I've just used blu-tack.
9) Doubt it.
11) No.
13) Definitely don't bring a TV - that's what the JCR is for! It'll take up space and I doubt you'll use it enough to make it worthwhile. Also, you'd need a TV licence.
15) Park End on a Wednesday is one of the biggest nights. Don't go to Clems.
16) Don't feel you have to go out every night! It's fine to stay in once or twice (or the other way round if you're a quieter person) - there'll probably be other activities going on for those who don't really like clubbing. Definitely try both sorts of activities to meet as many people as possible.
17) You may get an order form from your college at some point. If not, there are several tailors in Oxford that will sell them - Ede & Ravenscroft and Shepherd & Woodward are two.
18) If you mean the dark blue ones with the crest, they are becoming more and more popular this year, and are rather nice.
19) People say it's OK. I don't know :wink:
20) Cutlery & plates/bowls/glasses - these will probably not be provided (and will be horrible if they are). Do you have a kitchen in your accomodation?
Things to make your room look homely: posters, rug, books - even if you'll never have time to read them - nothing worse than living in a soulless box!
Cereals/tinned stuff/soup - there'll be many a morning when you won't want to go to Hall. I've only been twice for breakfast... You'll be able to get these in Oxford.
Warm clothes!

Hope this helps...
Reply 1175
Original post by EdmundB
3) Your scout will come in roughly once a week to do a hoover, linen change (although at Magdalen you change it yourself, she just leaves the clean linen for you)

That depends on who your scout is. :h:

(P.S. please help with Magd. questions in next year's applicants' thread: I don't know how to answer their questions! :erm:)
Reply 1176
Thankyou so much that has helped a lot! My accommodation at Christ Church is catered but I'm allowed to take a toaster and a kettle so I'll probably get used to toast for mornings then :smile: Thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 1177
Original post by BJack
That depends on who your scout is. :h:

(P.S. please help with Magd. questions in next year's applicants' thread: I don't know how to answer their questions! :erm:)

Ah. You clearly have a well-trained scout! Mine's lovely, but bonkers.

Will do...
Reply 1178
Original post by EdmundB
I can answer a few of the more general things:
3) Your scout will come in roughly once a week to do a hoover, linen change (although at Magdalen you change it yourself, she just leaves the clean linen for you), clean of the sink etc, while our bins get emptied every day.

As far as I know, that's specifically a Magdalen thing. Possibly ChCh too, I suppose, but I've only heard of Magdalen having their linen cleaned for them.
Reply 1179
Original post by Bezzler
As far as I know, that's specifically a Magdalen thing. Possibly ChCh too, I suppose, but I've only heard of Magdalen having their linen cleaned for them.

Oh really? Wow...so you have to wash sheets etc yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending