The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Mbus Business and Management?

Hi all,

I have firmed Durham for the Mbus Business and Management but I am having some problems getting the course on student finance. (only the BA hons shows on the website - 3 year course) any ideas?

Also, I was wondering whether anybody knew if you can still do the year in industry if you opt for the masters degree (making it a five year course). If so how does this work with student finance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Siwel
Hi all,

I have firmed Durham for the Mbus Business and Management but I am having some problems getting the course on student finance. (only the BA hons shows on the website - 3 year course) any ideas?

Also, I was wondering whether anybody knew if you can still do the year in industry if you opt for the masters degree (making it a five year course). If so how does this work with student finance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I don't think the course has been technically validated yet (in any case, it's new) so maybe that's why it's not on student finance? Best to ring up student finance and ask.

And best to call up the department about the year in industry. From the website, it seems like you can.
http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/degrees/undergrad/business/programmes/bus-marketing/
(edited 13 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Oh right thanks - does that mean i can't do it until they validate the course? When I rang up student finance they said I have to apply for finance for the BA (hons) instead and that the fourth year (masters) is funded privately (by me). I know that this is wrong because I have an email from Durham saying the Mbus course has four years funding quite clearly.

I don't trust student finance because initially they said i should change Durham to my insurance choice to solve the problem...that was bad information you should never do that according to my tutor.

thanks for your help anyway, nice to know that you can't find a simple solution either ( i was starting to think i was dumb for not understanding it).
Reply 3
Original post by Siwel
Oh right thanks - does that mean i can't do it until they validate the course? When I rang up student finance they said I have to apply for finance for the BA (hons) instead and that the fourth year (masters) is funded privately (by me). I know that this is wrong because I have an email from Durham saying the Mbus course has four years funding quite clearly.

I don't trust student finance because initially they said i should change Durham to my insurance choice to solve the problem...that was bad information you should never do that according to my tutor.

thanks for your help anyway, nice to know that you can't find a simple solution either ( i was starting to think i was dumb for not understanding it).

The 4th year definitely isn't funded by you. Did you tell them it's an integrated masters, like science courses are? I think it's the first in the UK so maybe they don't know what it is, stress the integrated bit to them!

Definitely don't put it as your insurance choice, if you meet your firm grades you won't be able to go! (And you can lose your college choice). I don't even understand why that would help. Eugh. Maybe contact Durham? Or ring student finance again, hopefully you'll get a different person. Maybe ask to speak to the manager? Basically don't hang up until they have helped you!

Quick thought - on the finance website have you linked your account to ucas so they can get the info off there? Because I can see why 'MBus' wouldn't be on a general drop-down list as I don't think any other unis offer it.
Reply 4
Original post by angelmxxx
The 4th year definitely isn't funded by you. Did you tell them it's an integrated masters, like science courses are? I think it's the first in the UK so maybe they don't know what it is, stress the integrated bit to them!

Definitely don't put it as your insurance choice, if you meet your firm grades you won't be able to go! (And you can lose your college choice). I don't even understand why that would help. Eugh. Maybe contact Durham? Or ring student finance again, hopefully you'll get a different person. Maybe ask to speak to the manager? Basically don't hang up until they have helped you!

Quick thought - on the finance website have you linked your account to ucas so they can get the info off there? Because I can see why 'MBus' wouldn't be on a general drop-down list as I don't think any other unis offer it.

Yes it is linked to ucas so like you say they should already know it is a new integrated masters course.

I'm sure I will get there eventually probably just a few more phone calls. Shame the service from student finance is sooo poor though I have wasted lots of important revision time trying to solve this simple problem (as geeky as it sounds).

Thankyou so much for all your help!
Reply 5
Original post by Siwel
Yes it is linked to ucas so like you say they should already know it is a new integrated masters course.

I'm sure I will get there eventually probably just a few more phone calls. Shame the service from student finance is sooo poor though I have wasted lots of important revision time trying to solve this simple problem (as geeky as it sounds).

Thankyou so much for all your help!

At least you can get through to student finance, last year it was taking people hours to be able to speak to someone.

Hope you get it sorted!

Quick Reply

Latest