The Student Room Group

Uni help

,m
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by elloell
I am currently on a gap year after doing horrendously in my A levels (B,D,D). As this was quite unexpected I took a gap year and kind of ignored uni up until now where I am realising I would like to go. Obviously I would have to take a foundation year I am presuming does anyone have any advice on applying and personal statements, I feel so lost. I am thinking of going of going down the business route.

Just for confirmation - you aren't retaking any of those A levels during your gap year, is that correct?

So you'll be applying for "Business Management (including foundation year)" - or similar - with BDD achieved grades? Do you have any restrictions on the type of university you'd like to attend? Area of the country? City vs. campus?

Are you GCSE English Language and Maths grades OK?

Did you get anywhere with your personal statement last year, or had you not actually started that before you decided to take a gap year? There's lots of information available via the Personal Statement Guidance Hub 2024 Entry thread, you can find a lot of business-focused personal statements here, and you can even get your final draft reviewed by a TSR personal statement reviewer for free (see here for details) - although there's a 10 day turnaround on the reviews, so that wouldn't give you much time.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Just for confirmation - you aren't retaking any of those A levels during your gap year, is that correct?

So you'll be applying for "Business Management (including foundation year)" - or similar - with BDD achieved grades? Do you have any restrictions on the type of university you'd like to attend? Area of the country? City vs. campus?

Are you GCSE English Language and Maths grades OK?

Did you get anywhere with your personal statement last year, or had you not actually started that before you decided to take a gap year? There's lots of information available via the Personal Statement Guidance Hub 2024 Entry thread, you can find a lot of business-focused personal statements here, and you can even get your final draft reviewed by a TSR personal statement reviewer for free (see here for details) - although there's a 10 day turnaround on the reviews, so that wouldn't give you much time.

Thank you so much for the reply!!
No I am not retaking, definitely should've considered it but at the time I didn't even think.
Yes my GCSEs are all good, 8s and above do you think that'll help in the application process?
I am not too picky about uni ideally I would love to be around Manchester but I know I don't really have the right to be picky at this point.

Thank you for the help on the personal statement I will look at that now, I did start one last year but it was for a different subject and didn't get very far before deciding on a gap year. Thank you so much for the help again!!
Reply 3
There are lots of possible Business with Foundation years that want 80-ish UCAS points - two examples :
Westminster - Business Management with Foundation BA Honours - Courses | University of Westminster, London
Brighton - Business Management BSc(Hons) with integrated foundation year (brighton.ac.uk)
and
Leeds Uni wants CCC but it might be worth phoning them to see it they would accept BDD - Business Studies with Foundation Year BSc | University of Leeds
Original post by elloell
Thank you so much for the reply!!
No I am not retaking, definitely should've considered it but at the time I didn't even think.
Yes my GCSEs are all good, 8s and above do you think that'll help in the application process?
I am not too picky about uni ideally I would love to be around Manchester but I know I don't really have the right to be picky at this point.

Thank you for the help on the personal statement I will look at that now, I did start one last year but it was for a different subject and didn't get very far before deciding on a gap year. Thank you so much for the help again!!

How do any of these sound, all in the North West? (They mention UCAS points - your BDD gets you 88 points.)

Business & Management (Foundation Entry) at University of Central Lancashire (details), which requires "UCAS: 64 points at A2".
Business Management (with Foundation Year) at Liverpool Hope University (details), which requires "a minimum of 72 UCAS points".
Business Management with Foundation Year at University of Salford (details), which requires "72 UCAS tariff points".

You will note that you exceed those entry requirements by some margin. So it might be worth looking at some non-foundation year options too. For example:
Business Management at University of Bolton (details), which requires "UCAS points: 104" but according to The Uni Guide, the typical student there has DDD (source).
Business Management at University of Salford (details), which requires "BCC - BBC with a minimum of two A2 passes" but according to The Uni Guide, the typical student there has CCC (source).

I'd recommend you do some searching - either on UCAS or on the individual uni web sites.
Original post by elloell
I am currently on a gap year after doing horrendously in my A levels (B,D,D). As this was quite unexpected I took a gap year and kind of ignored uni up until now where I am realising I would like to go. Obviously I would have to take a foundation year I am presuming does anyone have any advice on applying and personal statements, I feel so lost. I am thinking of going of going down the business route.

Hello @elloell,

It is amazing to hear that you are passionate about going to University, I can also see that you are wanting to go down the business management route which is exciting. I just wanted to pop you a message in regards to your question about the personal statements which I thought I could help with.

Personal statements are part of a students application process because Universities want to find out more about you, hence why they are called 'personal' statements. I realise this is a bit on the nose as an answer so I will elaborate. Do not be afraid to talk about yourself, your achievements, hobbies, passions, all the reasons at the heart of why you want to study business management.

Remember, you write one personal statement for five universities so do not make it specific to one institution, as this might put off the other four. It is also worth noting that we want to find out things about you that other parts of the application would not tell us, for example we will find out about what you studied at A-levels in the results section of your application so do not waste characters explaining this in the personal statement, however we might not find out about work experience you might have done so do add that to the personal statement.

I hope this all makes sense and it has helped to answer your question about writing a personal statement, if you have any further questions we are more then happy to help.

Best of luck,
Matt - University of Salford rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending