The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Help with BSc Management & Digital Innovation (University of London/LSE)

Hey there!

I wanted to ask you all if anyone here has studied/is studying the Management and Digital Innovation undergrad offered by the University of London (with academic direction from LSE)? If so, how has your experience been with this course in terms of the knowledge they provide and the job/internship prospects upon graduation?

I've had my eyes on this particular course for a while now but I'm not sure what sort of profession or career path this course will lead me to. The information page on UoL's website left me with more questions than answers to be frank.

It seems to be a Management Information Systems (MIS) undergrad, but upon further inspection of its course components, it has none of the components you would normally see in a MIS course. I've tried searching online to see if I can find more information about this undergrad but I haven't had any luck thus far, hence why I'm here.

I'm hoping this undergrad would lead me to a career as a Systems Analyst or any career orientation that an MIS graduate would have. What do you guys think? Am I on the right track with this undergrad or should I look for some other course? Hopefully someone on this forum can shed some light!

Thank you for your time!
Reply 1
Not sure what you mean by 'University of London but with direction from LSE'? is it actually a degree offered by London School of Economics? I could not find the degree, 'Management and digital innovation' that you mentioned. However, A Bsc Management degree is not the same as Bsc Management Information Systems. Bsc Management is a business course with core modules such as -Financial Accounting, Operations management, Principles of Economics, Marketing.. it is more similar to a Bsc in Business Management but focussing on skills needed to become a good manager (not that you will be a manager upon graduation!!!! )

Bsc Management Information systems is more about how 'systems' are used in business or the use of Information systems in a business environment to support good decision-making. I'd expect you to do core modules such as - Data analysis,Systems analysis, business stats, accounting etc skills that will equip you with the expertise needed to run an efficient business using key business applications/technology.

The 'digital Innovation' part of the degree is fairly self explanatory.

There is overlap between both courses but depends on where you are studying it. I would expect LSEs course to be strongly theory focussed as well as quantitative in nature.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Makro
Not sure what you mean by 'University of London but with direction from LSE'? is it actually a degree offered by London School of Economics? I could not find the degree, 'Management and digital innovation' that you mentioned. However, A Bsc Management degree is not the same as Bsc Management Information Systems. Bsc Management is a business course with core modules such as -Financial Accounting, Operations management, Principles of Economics, Marketing.. it is more similar to a Bsc in Business Management but focussing on skills needed to become a good manager (not that you will be a manager upon graduation!!!! )

Bsc Management Information systems is more about how 'systems' are used in business or the use of Information systems in a business environment to support good decision-making. I'd expect you to do core modules such as - Data analysis,Systems analysis, business stats, accounting etc skills that will equip you with the expertise needed to run an efficient business using key business applications/technology.

The 'digital Innovation' part of the degree is fairly self explanatory.

There is overlap between both courses but depends on where you are studying it. I would expect LSEs course to be strongly theory focussed as well as quantitative in nature.

I was referring to this course: https://www.london.ac.uk/courses/management-and-digital-innovation

The University of London offers a whole spectrum of different courses in a variety of topics. These courses are made by collages under the University of London such as LSE, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths etc, but the degree's awarding body is University of London (and not LSE). It took me a while to wrap my head around how this works, but from what I've understood, University of London has 17 member institutions (of which LSE is one of them) and they're only responsible for making the course (in terms of structure, content) and you will not be a student at LSE, but rather a student at University of London.

The Management and Digital Innovation course does have all the things you would expect from a typical business management degree (such as Econ, Accounting, Marketing etc) and it has some IT themed modules but they're neither business courses nor are they the typical courses you'd expect in a Management Information Systems degree (such as data analytics or programming etc). Which is why I'm posting on this forum, since I can't seem to figure out what sort of career path this is degree is for (and the career prospects listed on UOL's website are quite vague.

Information about this degree (including alumni experiences) are very hard to come by, almost as if no one has done this degree before.
Reply 3
It is a very good course, and you will gain a honours degree from UNIVERSITY OF LONDON. So it will be globally 'recognised' as well. The course itself is no easy feat and challenging. It is also very theoretical and expect it to be 'intense' with the workload.
Reply 4
Original post by Brett_Keane
I was referring to this course: https://www.london.ac.uk/courses/management-and-digital-innovation

The University of London offers a whole spectrum of different courses in a variety of topics. These courses are made by collages under the University of London such as LSE, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths etc, but the degree's awarding body is University of London (and not LSE). It took me a while to wrap my head around how this works, but from what I've understood, University of London has 17 member institutions (of which LSE is one of them) and they're only responsible for making the course (in terms of structure, content) and you will not be a student at LSE, but rather a student at University of London.

The Management and Digital Innovation course does have all the things you would expect from a typical business management degree (such as Econ, Accounting, Marketing etc) and it has some IT themed modules but they're neither business courses nor are they the typical courses you'd expect in a Management Information Systems degree (such as data analytics or programming etc). Which is why I'm posting on this forum, since I can't seem to figure out what sort of career path this is degree is for (and the career prospects listed on UOL's website are quite vague.

Information about this degree (including alumni experiences) are very hard to come by, almost as if no one has done this degree before.

Based on your link, the course seems to pack in all that one would expect from a degree in 'Management and Digital innovation' including 'data analytics & Programming that you said weren't there. Maybe take another look at the course content and read it properly so you don't miss anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending