The Student Room Group

How do you know if a uni's good or bad without refering to league tables?

For those of you who think the league tables aren't worth the paper their printed on, what other methos can you use for judging whether or not a uni's any good?
Reply 2
QAA teaching reports, RAE, opinions of current and former students, course content, whether the courses are professional accredited or not (if relevant)....

People chose universities before 1993 without significant difficulty.
Original post by River85
QAA teaching reports, RAE, opinions of current and former students, course content, whether the courses are professional accredited or not (if relevant)....

Add to that opinions of those who recruit graduates, particularly graduates in your subject.
Reply 4
Original post by River85

Hard to do that and get unbiased results but :smile:
Original post by angelmxxx

There are no unbiased opinions:frown:

The OP should get a range of opinions
Reply 6
Original post by angelmxxx

As stated by nulli tertius there are rarely, if ever, unbiased opinions. This is why an applicant needs to try and find a range of opinions and speak to a reasonable number.

You're suggesting that current students will often be biased and this is often the case. But I think I'm capable of offering an honest and frank opinion about my university and departments (as you're probably aware :p: ) including areas others will possibly neglect such as disability support. I don't always use the most glowing of terms when discussing one department in particular but I am, on the whole, reasonably positive. I certainly know that they are opinions people have taken on board and has partly influenced their decision. I don't know how many SGIA applicants I spoke to actually chose Durham in the end )hopefully not many :p: ) but most philosophy applicants did chose Durham and have found my account to be broadly accurate. Obviously accounting forvery recent changes in the departments and for particularly subjective factors (how interesting certain modules are).

I think plenty of former students who can, now they've put their student days behind them and can step back and give a fair but critical overview of what the university is like and how they feel it's helped them develop.
Reply 7
Original post by River85
As stated by nulli tertius there are rarely, if ever, unbiased opinions. This is why an applicant needs to try and find a range of opinions and speak to a reasonable number.

You're suggesting that current students will often be biased and this is often the case. But I think I'm capable of offering an honest and frank opinion about my university and departments (as you're probably aware :p: ) including areas others will possibly neglect such as disability support. I don't always use the most glowing of terms when discussing one department in particular but I am, on the whole, reasonably positive. I certainly know that they are opinions people have taken on board and has partly influenced their decision. I don't know how many SGIA applicants I spoke to actually chose Durham in the end )hopefully not many :p: ) but most philosophy applicants did chose Durham and have found my account to be broadly accurate. Obviously accounting forvery recent changes in the departments and for particularly subjective factors (how interesting certain modules are).

I think plenty of former students who can, now they've put their student days behind them and can step back and give a fair but critical overview of what the university is like and how they feel it's helped them develop.

It was mainly how hard it is to find students, obviously there will be some on TSR but people on here are probably a specific section of their university.

Also you have had longer :P to consider your views as you've been a student for a few years :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ultimate mashup
For those of you who think the league tables aren't worth the paper their printed on, what other methos can you use for judging whether or not a uni's any good?

1) How often it's mentioned in the news and media concerning research. Of course this depends on how often you follow current affairs and what media you obtain
2) Research Assessment Exercise scores
3) Alumni, graduate prospects and figures
Original post by therealOG
1) How often it's mentioned in the news and media concerning research. Of course this depends on how often you follow current affairs and what media you obtain
2) Research Assessment Exercise scores

Research doesn't mean squat in terms of whether it's good university to study at. It could be the best research university in the world but the worst teaching university, and in the end, isn't the teaching what you go there for?

(I know that's an extreme example, there probably is no university like that, but in theory there could be.)
Reply 10
Original post by ultimate mashup

performance on university challenge?

My opinion of league tables is that they're not entirely useless but otoh they're not suitable for the purpose they're frequently used for on TSR...
the 'My university is 12 places above your university - therefore I'm great and you're crap' bragging.
Reply 11
Original post by 69Crazyfists
Research doesn't mean squat in terms of whether it's good university to study at. It could be the best research university in the world but the worst teaching university, and in the end, isn't the teaching what you go there for?

(I know that's an extreme example, there probably is no university like that, but in theory there could be.)

Exactly. The best research universities in the world are 99.9% of the time the best universities in the world full stop. High quality research trickles down into high quality teaching, and if that isn't the case then it hardly matters - top students are very much capable of independent study and research - isn't that what university is about? And I doubt students aspire to top universities because of the teaching; it's because of the brand name, prestige and reputation that goes with it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Try Unistats. You can see a breakdown of just about everything on there; how they scored in the National Student Survey, which sectors graduates go to work in and in what number, and I believe there are links to QAA reports too (the governing body in charge of maintaining equality across different universities).

The RAE is also worth a look. This will give you probably the most accurate feel for exactly where each university sits in terms of research.

Teaching is more tricky. Your best bet would be to go to open days and actually get a chance to meet members of your prospective department. If you really do want another 'set of results' on this though, you could always look at the number of National Teaching Fellows for particular universities. You can find this on the Higher Education Academy website.
Original post by therealOG
Exactly. The best research universities in the world are 99.9% of the time the best universities in the world full stop. High quality research trickles down into high quality teaching, and if that isn't the case then it hardly matters - top students are very much capable of independent study and research - isn't that what university is about? And I doubt students aspire to top universities because of the teaching; it's because of the brand name, prestige and reputation that goes with it.

I still don't agree. There are far more important things to be looking for than the research standard.
Reply 14
Original post by 69Crazyfists
I still don't agree. There are far more important things to be looking for than the research standard.

Sure there's others (which you haven't offered up for discussion), but (good) universities are primarily research institutions. Therefore, research strength is a large factor in assessing a university's overall academic strength and reputation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending