The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Whitworth Park - any current student please

Hi I've heard things about Whitworth Park with people saying that its dull and that Fallowfield is really the place to be, but I was wondering what is it really like? I've looked around on the web and i can't find anything conclusive.

Unfortunately i missed the open day as i was in work, so i've on seen a few pics on threads on here.

So, is it really as dull as some make out?
Some say the rooms are quite dull and dark, but you can make them your own, right?
Are there good communal areas, and do people between flats mix?

I really like the idea of Whitworth, being close to the uni, got a gym and near the aquatics centre, sounds ideal for me, but i'm having a few doubts from what i've read.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by efc_boy
Hi I've heard things about Whitworth Park with people saying that its dull and that Fallowfield is really the place to be, but I was wondering what is it really like? I've looked around on the web and i can't find anything conclusive.

Unfortunately i missed the open day as i was in work, so i've on seen a few pics on threads on here.

Some say the rooms are quite dull and dark, but you can make them your own, right?

I really like the idea of Whitworth, being close to the uni, got a gym and near the aquatics centre, sounds ideal for me, but i'm having a few doubts from what i've read.

i stayed in WP my first year, and honestly, its possibly the loveliest place to stay in. Owens park and Oak house in fallowfield are the 'party' places, but its also true that the rooms are pretty ****. and you've got to ltake the bus like 45 minutes before lecture sometimes, because the curry mile gets too crowded.

staying at WP, it took me literally 7-8 minutes to walk to my farthest lecture room.

I lived in Aberdeen house, and the rooms are very nice. if you get into acomb (which only post grads do) or even the one right in front with the wash basin rooms (cant remember the name) it gets quite noisy most times.

its a very healthy mixture of people who are academically inclined and people who like to party alot :smile: you'l make tons of friends and its always a lively place.

one or two rooms in each flat are slightly bigger than the rest, pray you get those. :P

overall, the girls flats are slightly bigger than the boys ones. a bit more roomier.

if you need any other info or just wana talk about WP a bti more, PM me. what house have you got into btw? x
(edited 13 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I've applied for whitworth park too, although it' my third choice I'm kind of hoping I'll get it now as I'm worried about ensuite prices. I think wherever we end up we're bound to make friends and find other party goers. Manchester is the largest university in the country and remember there is still thousands of people who have applied there who aren't on thee forums, and the probably won't know much either. It's our first year, I'm sure they'l be party people wherever. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by goddogit
... what house have you got into btw? x

Hi. Have they already started sending responses concerning accommodation? Or... do we get the answers only after receiveing the unconditionals? I applied for WP too and really hope i won't get a room small as a bathroom haha :smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by bb_girl
Hi. Have they already started sending responses concerning accommodation? Or... do we get the answers only after receiveing the unconditionals? I applied for WP too and really hope i won't get a room small as a bathroom haha :smile:)

haha, not sure if the responses have come out yet tbh.

the smallest girl's room that i've seen is around 15 ft by 10 ft. thats not too small.

one thing ive notice in WP is that the the smaller rooms have larger wardrobes and the bigger rooms have teeny ones. :P
I love WP. Really there's not much to add to this thread, except I have the smallest available room and it's still just big enough for me to do basic pilates in. But then there's always the gym if it becomes an issue :yep:

Oh, and yeah, smallest room = biggest wardrobe :colone: But then in the bigger rooms you have more space to put stuff, so fair's fair IMO
Reply 6
i stayed in WP my first year, and honestly, its possibly the loveliest place to stay in. Owens park and Oak house in fallowfield are the 'party' places, but its also true that the rooms are pretty ****. and you've got to ltake the bus like 45 minutes before lecture sometimes, because the curry mile gets too crowded.

staying at WP, it took me literally 7-8 minutes to walk to my farthest lecture room.

I lived in Aberdeen house, and the rooms are very nice. if you get into acomb (which only post grads do) or even the one right in front with the wash basin rooms (cant remember the name) it gets quite noisy most times.

its a very healthy mixture of people who are academically inclined and people who like to party alot :smile: you'l make tons of friends and its always a lively place.

one or two rooms in each flat are slightly bigger than the rest, pray you get those. :P

overall, the girls flats are slightly bigger than the boys ones. a bit more roomier.

if you need any other info or just wana talk about WP a bti more, PM me. what house have you got into btw? x

Hey, thanks for the reply, it puts my mind at rest to here from someone who stayed there, and i think i'll be apllying there for sure :smile: Oh, and i haven't applied yet so havent been allocated anything yet, but we wouldn't find out till results day, right?

And tillytots thats a good point and hopefully i'll have my apllication in by this weekend, can't wait :smile: bring on september! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by bb_girl

I'm pretty sure accommodation is allocated after results day :smile:
Room sizes from what i saw at the open house thing were pretty decent, but i suppose it depends how big the bathroom is you're comparing it to!
Reply 8
i seen this video of whitworth a few weeks ago and it really made me think twice. Not to sure what you guys think but a prison cell jumps to mind? ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkbODkK9vcE
Original post by adamt
i seen this video of whitworth a few weeks ago and it really made me think twice. Not to sure what you guys think but a prison cell jumps to mind? ?

Not really like that once you move in, have your own stuff and people actually there. It's what you make of it. :yep: Also, all bar the more expensive rooms look absolutely horrid when empty.
Reply 10
Original post by adamt

1) Freshers' Week will help you cover your walls quicker than you think 2) OP is the same, it's never stopped anyone from applying.

Here was my room in Aberdeen House, I used to have tonnes of compliments about how homey it felt:

Reply 11
Original post by Anatheme
1) Freshers' Week will help you cover your walls quicker than you think 2) OP is the same, it's never stopped anyone from applying.

Here was my room in Aberdeen House, I used to have tonnes of compliments about how homey it felt:

Hey, your room does look really nice, i guess your room is as nice as you make it whereever you stay.

Can i ask, how does mixed sex accomodation work? Is each flat all male or female, or is one upstairs, one downstairs, or whole different blocks etc?
Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by efc_boy
Hey, your room does look really nice, i guess your room is as nice as you make it whereever you stay.

Can i ask, how does mixed sex accomodation work? Is each flat all male or female, or is one upstairs, one downstairs, or whole different blocks etc?
Thanks

I was in an all female, but some flats are mixed as in there are girls and boys living in the same flat.
Reply 13
Original post by adamt

thats acomb house, unless youre postgrad you wont have to live there. other houses are VERY different trust me.
Original post by adamt

Original post by adamt

Just watched the clip (after the postgrad comment - I was curious!). That's before they redid it all I guess - it's all new furniture etc now :yep: Or at least, it is in every house I've been in
Original post by efc_boy

Original post by efc_boy

Posted these elsewhere so thought I might as well copy and paste - this is another example of a whitworth bedroom:

See, not all bad!
Reply 16
^ thats a boys bedroom on the groud floor. Its the smallest type there is. and its not bad at all.
:smile:

^ thats a boys bedroom on the groud floor. Its the smallest type there is. and its not bad at all.
:smile:

No it's a bedroom on the second floor. It is the smallest but it's still not bad.
Reply 18
Original post by Aemiliana
No it's a bedroom on the second floor. It is the smallest but it's still not bad.

oh, my bad. that looked exactly like the boys rooms, especially the windows :s-smilie:

you've got a few thing exactly how i have them in my rooms. 1. notes 2. timetable 3 printer 4. the bottle of baileys :P

oh, my bad. that looked exactly like the boys rooms, especially the windows :s-smilie:

you've got a few thing exactly how i have them in my rooms. 1. notes 2. timetable 3 printer 4. the bottle of baileys :P

Yeah it's pretty much identical to some of the boys rooms. The windows are probably the same but that tree outside would be tiny if I was on the ground floor! I can't even begin to describe what floor I'm actually on to the OP. Anyone who moves into Whitworth has to be ready to spend many a night lying awake trying to work out how the building works.

Haha, some of the notes have rude words on but my camera didn't pick it up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending