The Student Room Group

Completely lost in this simultaneous equation

I've gotten to the factorising part and I don't know where to go from that stage

These are my stages

I halved the equation
Factorising:

Not sure what to do next, this is non-calculator by the way
Reply 1
The answers are

x = 3/5
x = 1

You take each bracket and flip the sign then divide the right number in the bracket by the coefficient of x of the same bracket.

Then put these two answers into either of the two equations to find both y values.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Natty.B

I've gotten to the factorising part and I don't know where to go from that stage

These are my stages

I halved the equation
Factorising:

Not sure what to do next, this is non-calculator by the way

You have factorised wrongly. (5x3)(x1)5x28x+3≢5x2+3x2(5x-3)(x-1)\equiv 5x^2-8x +3 \not\equiv 5x^2+3x-2. Try that again.
Reply 3
Original post by Thomas...
The answers are

x = 3/5
x = 1

You take each bracket and flip the sign then divide the right number in the bracket by the coefficient of x of the same bracket.

Then put these two answers into either of the two equations to find both y values.

Original post by Natty.B

His post will give you the wrong answer for the overall question.
Original post by Thomas...
The answers are

x = 3/5
x = 1

It would probably be smart to check if her working up to that factorisation was correct. (It wasn't)
Reply 6
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
It would probably be smart to check if her working up to that factorisation was correct. (It wasn't)

Ah yes, ha didn't think I'd need to do that, cheers for the edit.

Quick Reply

Latest