The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by U.S Lecce
From what i can gather reading various articles is that his dna has been confirmed, but they will not release the evidence for a few days. It also states he was first identified by facial recognition.

I'm watching the bbc news and it's saying the same thing, after identification he was buried, because they had to bury him within 24 hours in accordance to islamic law which they had to follow through the geneva convention.

Didn't they just throw him into the sea?
Reply 681
If people think the President of the US will go on TV and make an announcement that somebody is dead without being 100% sure, then they are very stupid
Original post by Drewski
That second part of the sentence is where we have issues. Especially when people drastically under-educated in military operations, rules of engagement and combat experience second guess actions that they can't possibly know about.

It is nothing short of incredibly churlish to assume that the forces went out there purely to kill, rather than attempt capture.

It's now been said that the US Navy Seals were never intending to take him alive, furthermore when confronted he did not surrender so he was shot.
Original post by Smtn
If people think the President of the US will go on TV and make an announcement that somebody is dead without being 100% sure, then they are very stupid

Assuming the American government are anything other than stupid, is in itself stupid.
Original post by U.S Lecce
From what i can gather reading various articles is that his dna has been confirmed, but they will not release the evidence for a few days. It also states he was first identified by facial recognition.

I'm watching the bbc news and it's saying the same thing, after identification he was buried, because they had to bury him within 24 hours in accordance to islamic law which they had to follow through the geneva convention.

The Geneva convention doesn't or shouldn't have applied to the most wanted terorist in the world.

When Micheal Jackson died, the news showed videos of his estate and as he was transported to the hospital, the news reporters followed the story showing the hospital and the crowd. Osama allegedly captured in a 'million-dollar three-story mansion with high security' after months of planning and there's not a single video to vouch for this nor a pic.

-No body
-No autopsy reports
-No detainees
-No pictures or videos
-No weapons detained

And a propaganda video from Obama stating how he has been a hero to the world.
Original post by History-Student
At this exact moment there are 5000 people in Hollywood wearing out their keyboards to get their first draft done before midday.

I estimate it'll be done in time for a September 11th release.

Damn it, im out of rep... :s-smilie:
Original post by jismith1989
His compound sounds like one hell of a place. Though it does seem surprising that suspicions hadn't been raised by anyone earlier, since it's a huge complex in a colonial suburb not far from Islamabad (which happens to be where the Pakistani military's largest base is situated).

Of course, it won't make any positive impact in the fight against terrorism, but it's a symbolic strike. It's also interesting that the Pakistani government was told nothing of the operation in advance, but given its gravity and the necessary security that's understandable.

I think it's pretty obvious by now that the pakistani government is completely uncooperative, and actually against america's war on terror.

Bin Laden living in a pakistani military compound for 8 months, that was his security and invisibility, that's no coincidence/surprise. The fact that the pakistan govt wasn't briefed confirms that they cannot be trusted one bit.
Original post by tehFrance
Didn't they just throw him into the sea?

Yeh this is regarded as a burial. I suppose being surrounded by water is technically a bruial.
Reply 689
Original post by Orwell
Sea burial is in accordance with some Islamic traditions, one being if you are fearful that the corpse might be dug up, or made into a shrine, as may have happened with bin Laden's body. They offered it to Saudi Arabia, his country of birth, but they wouldn't take it, I mean, it would be difficult to find a country which would allow him to be buried there. In terms of no pictures; firstly, how do you know they didn't, secondly, maybe they do, but perhaps think that it isn't entirely proper to broadcast them within literally hours of his death.

Again, I don't understand the mentality, you haven't seen any pictures, so the first thing you jump to is that this is some kind of elaborate conspiracy. I'll ask again: for what purpose?

Proper Islamic tradition is to bury the corpse underground, like all islamic deaths. When Saddam died, a video + photos were released however in this case, none so have happened as of yet. And sure I don't know if photos have been taken or not, perhaps they have, but why not show them? Some verification needs to be shown, there is no harm in showing his dead body, and all of those people saying that his dead body will enrage other Al-Qaeda followers is frankly a load of bs.

And no that's not it, I believe he is dead as the president of the U.S wouldn't just say something wrong, with the risk of being proven incorrect, but why not show pictures? And as for the purpose, perhaps the U.S government found evidence of his death beforehand and in an attempt to boost Obama's reputation for upcoming elections, say the U.S soldiers killed Osama, causing them to be showered in glory. Again, just a theory of a purpose since you asked, but there is just something strange in this whole screnario.
Wow they've killed a figurehead, because that's going to change things.
Reply 691
Original post by XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Bin Laden living in a pakistani military compound for 8 months

Were did you get that figure?
It said on the news they didn't know how long he was there.
Reply 692
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
Assuming the American government are anything other than stupid

Could you cite examples where the Obama administration has been stupid in a similar sense to faking the death of the #1 terrorist in the world?
Original post by Dekota-XS
The Geneva convention doesn't or shouldn't have applied to the most wanted terorist in the world.

When Micheal Jackson died, the news showed videos of his estate and as he was transported to the hospital, the news reporters followed the story showing the hospital and the crowd. Osama allegedly captured in a 'million-dollar three-story mansion with high security' after months of planning and there's not a single video to vouch for this nor a pic.

-No body
-No autopsy reports
-No detainees
-No pictures or videos
-No weapons detained

And a propaganda video from Obama stating how he has been a hero to the world.

Ok crazy:rolleyes:

Don't support this. Obviously it is good to get rid of the man who killed so many, but it does seem just like a revenge hit so that the US can look good to its citizens. It will have no beneficial effect, will not affect the workings of Al-Qaeda and will only anger them to take revenge. It angers me to see people think its over; it must be nice closure for 9/11 victims, but for terrorism it has no real effect.
Reply 695
People are so f'in retarded.

9/11 - bad news. MUST BE A CONSPIRACY
This - Basically good news- MUST BE A CONSPIRACY

Cats always land on there feet MUST BE A CONSPIRACY.
lets put it this way.....

we are gonna have a **** storm coming our way in the short term.....

although given that the entire thing was fully US....maybe those of us in the UK/EU will avoid most of the crap?
Original post by Tommyjw

BRB finding a cat.

Get what you mean though, I'm all for healthy scepticism but still...
Original post by Tommyjw

ROFL. Even if it happened infront of their face, it would still be a conspiracy.
Reply 699
Anybody care for the silver lining to all this?:

People have actually shut up about the Royal Family/Wedding :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending