The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by umarrehman187
but who are you to say they would have producted hatred, whether hes in the sea or in the sky or in the cave hes dead?

regardless of what that man did he should have been given to his people to where he belonged, just like bush would like to be buried in america not thrown in the sea!

they dumped his body? lol no they havent dumped no body, its just if they buried him people would say we want to see the body, but how can they show it when they havent got it, so whats better?

ahh we threw him in the sea, so people cant get him and they will get angry and attack us more,

its illogical mate!

even putting it on news has given enouugh hatred to his followers, might aswell give them the body too....

Firstly, will you please sort out your posts and use the Quote function.

Secondly, the body would have been used for such purposes. He was the Religious Icon for Al-Qaeda, the splinter factions and responsible for riling up hatred against Western Ideology and its people.
Had they known we'd buried their figurehead, they'd have had that body wrapped up and paraded like a goddamn Icon, the only way was to either bury him at sea or cremate him.

And why do you keep refering back to G. W. Bush? He isn't the only link towards Osama; Why would we care what happened to him now? He isn't the sole figure behind the War, so why is it down to "What if he was killed"? :rolleyes:

They would attack us if we buried him, they would attack us if we cremated him and they'll attack us because we've buried him at sea. It doens't matter.
It just stops them riling up more support by showing his body around or using it as a shrine.
Original post by Aj12
Can't help but be Skeptical though. Just wish they would release the video.

Yeah.

They are debating whether or not to release the footage from the camera-mount on one of the Navy Seal Team's weapons.

And they are also debating whether or not to release images from the scene.

They've done it before with such things, and they showed footage of Suddam being hung, so I'm sure they will this time.
Reply 1702
Original post by DH-Biker
They dumped his body in the water for two reasons:

1) So that his supporters couldn't use his body as an image to rile support. So they didn't have it to parade around, incur more anger towards the West etc.

2) So his body didn't become a "shrine" towards his supporters. Leaders, even dead, still provide moral and sometimes religious backing.

No mate. His hardline ultra-conservative following consider 'grave-worshipping' worthy of death, so to think they would make a shrine out of it shows your ignorance. Even Saudi kings are buried in unmarked graves, as he would have been had his people taken his body.
Reply 1703
Original post by ibysaiyan
:facepalm:
Sorry couldn't resist it...
Makes no difference remember this Al-qaeda isn't just made up of one osama,he had been training his kids.Having married four times with half of the kids in Afghanistan,it wouldn't surprise me if some Junior OBL takes over, either ways zawahiri and much of the Network is at large.The only way to deal with them is by negotiation i.e with out the use of brute force.

You can simply ignore my post for I have made my opinion clear,any further exchanges would make us go in a never ending loop.
Regards,
ibysaiyan

Bless him, he's been playing too much Xbox.
Original post by nosaer
No mate. His hardline ultra-conservative following consider 'grave-worshipping' worthy of death, so to think they would make a shrine out of it shows your ignorance. Even Saudi kings are buried in unmarked graves, as he would have been had his people taken his body.

Wrong.

Several Members of Al-Qaeda came forward demanding his body so they could, "Build a shrine, in dedication to our Religious Leader" further quoting, "He doesn't deserve to be in the hands of the 'filthy-unclean'".

I shall try to find the source for this; I read it off an article my Mum had up on her iPad.

Are Saudi Kings as much of a religious figurehead as he was? No. Do they share the same influence? No.

It is an irrelavant point, anyway; How many gather to bid farewell to their King? Hundreds? Thousands?

Osama had a lot of support, having his body around would have riled up anger. Pure and simple, disposing of it in an unreachable place was the only real option, aside from cremating him.

I'm not sure if cremation is against Islamic teachings, though; Can someone clarify that?
Reply 1705
They found out the last three times.

Its against the Geneva Convention, which aren't just "guidelines" but the very rules in which war is made.

"All is fair in war" and that bull**** goes out the window; failing to comply with these will leave a political ****storm they DON'T need to deal with.

:rolleyes:

The Geneva convention applies to armed combatants in a war between two nations. It does not apply to terrorists or non-uniformed irregular militias. This is a well known fact, and something the US uses as justification for keeping gitmo open and functioning.
Original post by nosaer
Bless him, he's been playing too much Xbox.

My Xbox is broken. :h:

Maybe I've been biking too much? :dontknow:

You're a lot more cocky and arrogant then you were last night; two things I can't abide in a person. :rolleyes:

Please go back to your level head; it was a lot nicer to "debate" with someone like that.
Firstly, will you please sort out your posts and use the Quote function.

Secondly, the body would have been used for such purposes. He was the Religious Icon for Al-Qaeda, the splinter factions and responsible for riling up hatred against Western Ideology and its people.
Had they known we'd buried their figurehead, they'd have had that body wrapped up and paraded like a goddamn Icon, the only way was to either bury him at sea or cremate him.

And why do you keep refering back to G. W. Bush? He isn't the only link towards Osama; Why would we care what happened to him now? He isn't the sole figure behind the War, so why is it down to "What if he was killed"? :rolleyes:

They would attack us if we buried him, they would attack us if we cremated him and they'll attack us because we've buried him at sea. It doens't matter.
It just stops them riling up more support by showing his body around or using it as a shrine.

1stly please stop saying they would attack us, because you guys have been killing iraqi kids mothers and soldiers till this day, im sure the amount of innocent civlians bush killed in his president days is enough for me to keep calling out his name...and dont say awww the terrorists did it then george bush retalited because thats not true, they equally as bad!

obviously as an american you will say we started it, and we will say you started it....so yh this is never going to end

and according to your thing about this shrine etc no we would have not made a shrine and made it an icon because that is against our religion, saladin (a very strong muslim leader has a small wooden shrine thats it) so bin laden would have been no different!

bush is not the sole figure but one of the figures in this war just like bin laden....

the day the americnas get out of all the muslim countries there will be peace :smile:
Reply 1708
Wrong.

Several Members of Al-Qaeda came forward demanding his body so they could, "Build a shrine, in dedication to our Religious Leader" further quoting, "He doesn't deserve to be in the hands of the 'filthy-unclean'".

I shall try to find the source for this; I read it off an article my Mum had up on her iPad.

Are Saudi Kings as much of a religious figurehead as he was? No. Do they share the same influence? No.

It is an irrelavant point, anyway; How many gather to bid farewell to their King? Hundreds? Thousands?

Osama had a lot of support, having his body around would have riled up anger. Pure and simple, disposing of it in an unreachable place was the only real option, aside from cremating him.

I'm not sure if cremation is against Islamic teachings, though; Can someone clarify that?

Oh yes, cremation is absolutely fine in Islamic tradition. In fact, its encouraged. Good to know we have someone who knows what they're talking about on this thread. Good job Cap'n! :rolleyes:
Original post by nosaer
:rolleyes:

The Geneva convention applies to armed combatants in a war between two nations. It does not apply to terrorists or non-uniformed irregular militias. This is a well known fact, and something the US uses as justification for keeping gitmo open and functioning.

I was applying it towards the Americans, they can't perform Torture as its against the Geneva Convention.

Of course Terrorist groups wont follow those guidelines.

Regardless of the opposing force, America will not torture any individual. Especially one like that who wouldn't give up any information anyway.

They found out what they needed there on his person.

If they even suggested doing so, the UN would rain down control order upon control order. Luckily, Obama holds more intelligence to resort to torturing someone who would rather be burnt alive then let slip any information.
Original post by nosaer
Oh yes, cremation is absolutely fine in Islamic tradition. In fact, its encouraged. Good to know we have someone who knows what they're talking about on this thread. Good job Cap'n! :rolleyes:

About one factor? Please, refrain from the cockiness.

Cremation was one aspect within the area of an Islamic Follower's death I was unsure about.

Hardly worthy of "Good to know we have someone who knows what they're talking about on this thread. Good job Cap'n!".

But, far be it from me to be cocky, arrogant or to insult someone, so I shall refrain.
(edited 12 years ago)
If they would've took Osama alive then there would've been a lot of kidnappings/threats by Al-Qaeda to try and bargain for his release...
I guess some of you would prefer that?
Reply 1712
I was applying it towards the Americans, they can't perform Torture as its against the Geneva Convention.

Of course Terrorist groups wont follow those guidelines.

Regardless of the opposing force, America will not torture any individual. Especially one like that who wouldn't give up any information anyway.

They found out what they needed there on his person.

If they even suggested doing so, the UN would rain down control order upon control order. Luckily, Obama holds more intelligence to resort to torturing someone who would rather be burnt alive then let slip any information.

Yeah, I dont think you know what the Geneva convention is.

America will not torture any individual? :lol:
Original post by nosaer

Muslims are always
buried, never cremated. Cremation and other modes of disposal are considered to be strictly forbidden.

http://www.mcb.org.uk/downloads/Death-Bereavement.pdf
Original post by SatanIsAwesome
If they would've took Osama alive then there would've been a lot of kidnappings/threats by Al-Qaeda to try and bargain for his release...
I guess some of you would prefer that?

I tried debating that point; it fell dully on deaf ears I'm afraid.

There will be attacks anyway, but at least now they know he's actually dead, its a significant blow to moral.

We'll see how it plays out, though I remain pessamistic with the safety of cities with the Coalition Nations.
Original post by nosaer
Yeah, I dont think you know what the Geneva convention is.

America will not torture any individual? :lol:

I spent seven years studying warfare, its aplications and its historic/modern results.

I know the details of every convention that has been assembled in the face of warfare, and the rules and restrictions that are now applied to combat scenarios.

America has tortured individuals before; and they've always been discovered. Ensuing problems within the UN brought down a political storm that forced them to wade through seas of red-tape, unable to pass any jurisdiction within the UN council until they had cleared up the fact and compensated those involved, or members threatened.

They wont torture one more person until the GC is scrapped. Which it wont be, and when it is, it will be replaced by a then-modern application.

In any case, I've got a lesson now and then Lunch, so I'll debate any more arguments you have afterwards. Please drop the cockiness, it doesn't represent the level headed attitude you had yesterday.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1716

Sarcasm: [noun] the rhetorical device of using a characterization of something or someone in order to express contempt.

:tongue:
Reply 1717
Yeah.

They are debating whether or not to release the footage from the camera-mount on one of the Navy Seal Team's weapons.

And they are also debating whether or not to release images from the scene.

They've done it before with such things, and they showed footage of Suddam being hung, so I'm sure they will this time.

Guncam or headcam footage would be pretty amazing.

That is, if people can handle watching somebody die. Or at the very least, up until the point.

No doubt they'd heavily edit it, if footage were to ever be released.
Reply 1718
I spent seven years studying warfare, its aplications and its historic/modern results.

I know the details of every convention that has been assembled in the face of warfare, and the rules and restrictions that are now applied to combat scenarios.

America has tortured individuals before; and they've always been discovered. Ensuing problems within the UN brought down a political storm that forced them to wade through seas of red-tape, unable to pass any jurisdiction within the UN council until they had cleared up the fact and compensated those involved, or members threatened.

They wont torture one more person until the GC is scrapped. Which it wont be, and when it is, it will be replaced by a then-modern application.

In any case, I've got a lesson now and then Lunch, so I'll debate any more arguments you have afterwards. Please drop the cockiness, it doesn't represent the level headed attitude you had yesterday.

Naive is thy name. :tongue:

Which GC are you talking about?
Reply 1719
It's amazing people would condone this then go and rally against the death penalty. At least death row inmates were actually sentenced in a court of law.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending