The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchild007
The State Department is releasing pictures of the body and burial within the next few days. I have no doubt however, that you'll proceed to idiotically claim this evidence is fake and that the "man" is telling us lies, lies and more damn lies :rolleyes:

Is that how long it takes to download photoshop pro 7.8?
Original post by Rishz
Agreed! I kind of feel sorry for him. His sudden death and his son was killed in front him and his wife shot in the leg. It's a harsh thing to do, he had a family. :frown: Yes I understand what he had done but do we have any proof he was behind the attacks or could he have been framed? :|

Er he kinda announced it to the world and kept boasting about it in his videos which would suggest that he was behind it... That aside there's probably a ton of evidence to back it up. Whether he was behind those attacks isn't being debated because he obviously was.

Anyway, this was a KILL operation. The whole point of the operation was to kill him unless he gave himself up peacefully. Frankly I don't think they should have given him a chance to surrender anyway. If they captured him alive there would be chaos. There'd probably be bombings and kidnappings to try and get him back and it'd be far worse than any possible backlash to his death. Also he's a massive dick.
Reply 1882
Original post by Drewski
'retaliate back' is a rather redundant phrase...

Don't you think the chance of an increase in activity regardless was always on the cards? If they'd captured him then there would be risk of hostage situations on planes, in buildings, etc...

There are down sides no matter which way you go.

But no matter now, hes dead and we have to face the consequences
I'm pretty certain they're going to release photographs. Whilst they're understandably nervous about the pictures having the potential to inflame the situation, I think those nerves are outweighed by the fact that the public seeing Bin Laden's corpse - the USA's sworn enemy since 9/11 - will really give the government a boost (and put to rest somewhat the potentially damaging conspiracy theories).
Reply 1884
Original post by DH-Biker
The Fourth Convention has complete necessity here. It implies the terms and conditions civilians are given during capture, occupation of land/population center/etc.

You're not going to claim Al Qaeda qualifies as a protected person under the 4th GC...

If we assume Osama fell under the term "non-combatant" given he wasn't part of a permanent military armed force, then he falls directly under the protection of the Fourth Act, and will fall under the following term,

The list goes on.

...you just claimed Al Qaeda is protected under the 4th GC. :facepalm2:

It would be interesting to know where you got that text inside the quotation bubble from, seeing as it introduces a bogus term "civilian combatant" which appears nowhere in the actual 4th GC.

The point is, Osama, if he had been designated under the Civilian aspect which he wouldn't have been, a combatant is a combatant as far as the Third is concerned, and following paragraphs from the First and Second relevant to this scenario.

Completely and utterly wrong. The 3rd GC define who is a combatant protected under it, and neither OBL or Al Qaeda fall under this category, as they are irregular non-state actors.

If he had been considered under Civilian designation, even with the tags mentioned above, he still wouldn't have been able to be touched. The Fourth Convention attempted to halt anyone in any nation facing the prospect of trial, torture, prison, execution, etc.

Jesus freaking christ you dont honestly believe terrorists can legally be classified as civilians?!

Granted, you're right, in some cases they would dismiss these and go for it anyway.

For example, if a man had a direct knowledge to the locations of nuclear devices set to go off.

Would Osama have proved such a VISI? No. By the admission of another captured Al-Qaeda member, Osama had been "thrown out of the loop" when it came to strategic planning and tactical moves on the Coalition and The West.

Granted, its possible they'd have forced open a loop-hole to gain information about the upper-echelon and elite of Al-Qaeda which is still very much unaccounted for. Could they have done this without breaking some form? No. Would they have attempted it? Possibly.

No matter which way you slice this, he would have been designated as either a combatant or a civilian under-warfare. Either which way, he is still well within the confines of anyone even so much as suggesting his torture.

I'm not saying they wouldn't; they've waded through red tape before and they'll no doubt do it again. Its entirely possible they would have, if he had been captured alive, been subjected to torture. Although its very, very unlikely.

Neither the 3rd or the 4th GC can be applied to the Taliban or Al Qaeda. I've already shown you what the US government consider them as, via the Military commission act 2006 which specifically mentions both these groups by name.

I mean wake up, how the hell do you think the US could keep these guys in Gitmo with no due legal process if they were to be considered POWs (3rd GC) or civilians (4th GC)?!

They aren't designated "Unlawful Enemy Combatants"; given they aren't wearing Uniform, Camo or designated via symbols of a battalion and representative of a nation, means they are designated as "Civilians under combat initiative / Civilians under non-Military Hierarchical orders (including Religious extremism, and using that as a justification of an attack, for example this situation)".

OK, Im going to go through this slowly once again. :tongue:

Military Commissions Act 2006

(a) Purpose— This chapter establishes procedures governing the use of military commissions to try alien unlawful enemy combatants engaged in hostilities against the United States for violations of the law of war and other offenses triable by military commission.

(g) Geneva Conventions Not Establishing Source of Rights— No alien unlawful enemy combatant subject to trial by military commission under this chapter may invoke the Geneva Conventions as a source of rights.

And in case you were in any doubt what so ever what constitutes an unlawful enemy combatant, or whether the Taliban/Al Qaeda fall under this designation, its here in black and white:

"The term 'unlawful enemy combatant' means

(i) a person who has engaged in hostilities or who has purposefully and materially supported hostilities against the United States or its co-belligerents who is not a lawful enemy combatant (including a person who is part of the Taliban, al-Qaida, or associated forces); or

(ii) a person who, before, on, or after the date of the enactment of the Military Commissions Act of 2006, has been determined to be an unlawful enemy combatant by a Combatant Status Review Tribunal or another competent tribunal established under the authority of the President or the Secretary of Defense."

End of story!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bobifier
I hear Bin Laden is a lizard man.

, therefore Osama is a lizard man.

See, it's easy
I don't think this current US administration set out to kill Osama Bin Laden, only to parade his dead body to everyone to show off their trophy kill! Plus in order to minimise, any backlash from his followers, they had 24 hours to give him an islamic burial as is stated by the religion.

I'm quite happy to believe he is dead, but if you would prefer to see his dead mutilated corpse complete with 2 bullets through the head on international television, fair enough! The way I see it, if he isn't dead, he will produce another authentic video about how he's pissed off with the western world, and wants to promote his "death to the infidel" campaign, with an added timestamp for verification.
Capturing bin Laden would have been problematic in the short run because of his resistance, but I think that ultimately the West must be seen to be upholding due process and the rule of law. He should have been sent to the ICC to stand trial, but of course the US doesn't recognise the authority of the ICC which is itself a problem for the West.
Original post by medic_armadillo7
I don't think this current US administration set out to kill Osama Bin Laden, only to parade his dead body to everyone to show off their trophy kill! Plus in order to minimise, any backlash from his followers, they had 24 hours to give him an islamic burial as is stated by the religion.

I'm quite happy to believe he is dead, but if you would prefer to see his dead mutilated corpse complete with 2 bullets through the head on international television, fair enough! The way I see it, if he isn't dead, he will produce another authentic video about how he's pissed off with the western world, and wants to promote his "death to the infidel" campaign, with an added timestamp for verification.

I believe he is dead, but I believe nothing at all about this rallying trumpet call hogwash a panel of CIA public affairs correspondents have scraped together.

Minimise backlash from followers? They apparently just killed the man. He has been top of the most wanted list for 10 years, during which time they have breached an inordinate amount of Islamic decorum. But they decide to observe it now?
Original post by Aj12
Because the pics of him are pretty brutal and the White House is nervous about letting them go. However knowing Obama's government even if they are not released they would be leaked soon

Yeah right!

There are no pictures because it wasn't him in that compound/house. This was all just a big propaganda exercise.

Obama is officially a bigger, more evil assh*le than that retarded cowboy bloke they had in the White House before him.

NO evidence + ZERO proof = NEVER HAPPENED!
Reply 1890
Original post by LaughingBro
I'm absolutely appalled that those sadistic American soldiers shot an unarmed man to death. I am also incredibly disgusted that those brutal yanks shot the unarmed man through his eye. Those 'licensed chavs' are there to capture people, not to play real life Call of Duty!

also they said he hid behind his wife...this has now been confirmed as not true....It just seems unnecessary and dirty to spread false things about him.It was the same with Linda Norgrove they said there was a suicide bombing now they admit they shot her by mistake.

btw it was the same squad(probably same soliders) in both missions
Sigh* the usual rhetoric of a conspiracy nut:

"bin laden no dead! Obama lie! No evidence, no evidence, it all lie!"

Reply 1892
Original post by el scampio
Yeah right!

There are no pictures because it wasn't him in that compound/house. This was all just a big propaganda exercise.

Obama is officially a bigger, more evil assh*le than that retarded cowboy bloke they had in the White House before him.

NO evidence + ZERO proof = NEVER HAPPENED!

Shut up you irritating dolt
Reply 1893
Original post by Aj12
Because the pics of him are pretty brutal and the White House is nervous about letting them go. However knowing Obama's government even if they are not released they would be leaked soon

I have the urge to see the pics lol - but also don't want to... Just telling us a story without evidence WHAT SO EVER is a tad annoying, but things will be leaked soon
Reply 1894
Assange will leak it for us.
WTF is a dolt? And is that the only insult you know? How many times a day do you say it? Were you dropped on your head as a baby?

Let me guess...............'dolt' right?
Original post by SteveCrain
I believe he is dead, but I believe nothing at all about this rallying trumpet call hogwash a panel of CIA public affairs correspondents have scraped together.

Minimise backlash from followers? They apparently just killed the man. He has been top of the most wanted list for 10 years, during which time they have breached an inordinate amount of Islamic decorum. But they decide to observe it now?

What? So are you saying that if they had cut his body into little pieces and fed it to dogs that wouldn't have inflammed things just a little bit? :confused:

Whether they have breached islamic decorum over the last 10 years is irrelevant given the context. With the world watching them, including militant extremists, it is what they do now at this present moment on such a sensitive issue that is most likely to inflame tension as opposed to the "blasphemous actions" of some soldier in Iraq 9 years ago, we was probably singing "We will rock you" in some mosque in Baghdad, whilst wearing a T-shirt.
Reply 1897
Original post by 4TSR
I have the urge to see the pics lol - but also don't want to... Just telling us a story without evidence WHAT SO EVER is a tad annoying, but things will be leaked soon

Rumour is they may well release the helmet cam to
Reply 1898
Original post by Aj12
Rumour is they may well release the helmet cam to

It will just be someone playing a night-map on COD. Yes, the US government thinks we are THAT stupid...

Speaking of which, I cannot wait for a film/game of the whole hunt for Osama bin laden is made... but one question remains, will our computer games and films stop revolving around the middle east?
To be honest i dont necessarily believe he isnt dead, im just annoyed at the complete inadequacy of supposedly the best soldiers the US can offer. Would it have been so hard to have shot him somewhere that would have neutralised him, but not killed him (e.g. in the brain!) so that he could have been interrogated, put on trial and then probably suffer the death penalty. How the US can go around calling itself the bastion of democracy is beyond me after all they've done in the past, and now this! But the truth is no one will ever know as the only concrete evidence is now at the bottom of the sea. So theres not much point discussing it...
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending