The Student Room Group

Is this a mistake in the text book? AQA Unit 5

I asked my biology teacher and he said that the textbook was right, but he's an idiot and I'm not convinced... so I'm asking you guys :smile:

In captor 9.1 - Sensory Reception, the textbook says "An example of a kinesis occurs in woodlice. [...] When they are in a dry area they move more rapidly and change direction more often. This increases their chance of moving into a different area.

However this doesn't make any sense to me. Surely if woodlice wanted to find a new area, they should change direction less often. When they find a favourable area, they should then change direction more often, keeping them in the same place.

Help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Piddly
I asked my biology teacher and he said that the textbook was right, but he's an idiot and I'm not convinced... so I'm asking you guys :smile:

In captor 9.1 - Sensory Reception, the textbook says "An example of a kinesis occurs in woodlice. [...] When they are in a dry area they move more rapidly and change direction more often. This increases their chance of moving into a different area.

However this doesn't make any sense to me. Surely if woodlice wanted to find a new area, they should change direction less often. When they find a favourable area, they should then change direction more often, keeping them in the same place.

Help?

This is definitely a mistake, when in favourable conditions a kinesis would be that the organism slows down movement and changes direction more.

When is unfavourable conditions, the organism will speed up and change direction LESS
Reply 2
Original post by Eloades11
This is definitely a mistake, when in favourable conditions a kinesis would be that the organism slows down movement and changes direction more.

When is unfavourable conditions, the organism will speed up and change direction LESS

Thanks for clearing that up for me :smile:
Reply 3
It is a mistake, yes! Even the CGP book has a little mistake too in the Kinesis area. My teachers honestly detest the NT book - they made contracts to publish editions before a certain date, but got a bit late so most likely rushed it a bit - but some parts are brilliant, such as the homeostasis diagrams. The best books ever = Your notes + nuggets from the NT book + pearls from the CGP revision guide, but ultimate preparation lies in practicing past papers, and practicing some more! Good luck to all!
Reply 4
Guys.. the OCR textbook says that "if placed in dry/bright conditions woodlice will move around rapidly and randomly" Doesn't that imply an increased rate of turning as well?
Reply 5
Original post by Radekal
Guys.. the OCR textbook says that "if placed in dry/bright conditions woodlice will move around rapidly and randomly" Doesn't that imply an increased rate of turning as well?

Woodlice prefer dark damp conditions, so in the case that they're in dry/bright conditions, they will speed up and change direction less. However I agree with what you said, but the book says they move randomly, which is true. But the book has made no reference to whether or not the woodlice change direction more or less
Original post by Piddly

Help?

woodlice do not like to be dry, they are moving more rapidly to find the favourable moist area more quickly, such is kinesis
Reply 7
Original post by Alison1992
woodlice do not like to be dry, they are moving more rapidly to find the favourable moist area more quickly, such is kinesis

I know I completely understand the part about moving more rapidly, notice it is the part about the changing direction more often that I put in bold font.

If you were to change direction more often you would be more likely to stay in the same place. In order to find pastures new, the woodlice should walk rapidly in a straight line, surely?
Original post by Piddly
I know I completely understand the part about moving more rapidly, notice it is the part about the changing direction more often that I put in bold font.

If you were to change direction more often you would be more likely to stay in the same place. In order to find pastures new, the woodlice should walk rapidly in a straight line, surely?

erm no, that would be a taxes
Reply 9
Original post by Piddly

Remember a kinesis is not a directional movement towards or away from a stimulus, a kinesis where the organism is in unfavourable conditions means it will speed up and change directions less, not completely change the direction. The woodlice needs to find damp conditions, it can't just walk in a straight line, what if it hits a rock? Climb over it into more light/dry conditions, not good :tongue:

Original post by Alison1992
erm no, that would be a taxes

He didn't specify which direction, so if it was directly towards or away from the stimulus, then yes it's a taxis, but if it was in any other direction, it usually tends to be a kinesis :smile:
Reply 10
No it's not a mistake, as said before moving towards a new area would be taxis not kinesis. If they are moving quickly and changing direction often they are more likely to find a favourable enviroment and when they do their rate of movement is reduced to stay in the enviroment. That's what I learnt for the exam last year :smile:
Original post by tasha_atl
No it's not a mistake, as said before moving towards a new area would be taxis not kinesis. If they are moving quickly and changing direction often they are more likely to find a favourable enviroment and when they do their rate of movement is reduced to stay in the enviroment. That's what I learnt for the exam last year :smile:

It is a mistake, if you change direction more often, you are likely to stay in the same place eg. running around in a circle, will keep you in roughly the same favourable conditions. The book states that when in unfavourable conditions, you change directions more, in order to stay in the same place, now that wouldn't be very suitable if you wanted to get out of the unfavourable conditions would it? :rolleyes:
Reply 12
It is a mistake, if you change direction more often, you are likely to stay in the same place eg. running around in a circle, will keep you in roughly the same favourable conditions. The book states that when in unfavourable conditions, you change directions more, in order to stay in the same place, now that wouldn't be very suitable if you wanted to get out of the unfavourable conditions would it? :rolleyes:

Ahh yes, they do change direction less often. My mistake.

It isn't directional in the sense that the woodlouse see a nice dark and humid place and runs towards it, nor is it directional away from the stimulus. That's what I meant :colondollar: Maybe trying to remember biology isn't such a good idea :/
Reply 13
Remember a kinesis is not a directional movement towards or away from a stimulus, a kinesis where the organism is in unfavourable conditions means it will speed up and change directions less, not completely change the direction. The woodlice needs to find damp conditions, it can't just walk in a straight line, what if it hits a rock? Climb over it into more light/dry conditions, not good :tongue:

Well yes I don't mean that the woodlice to stick to the straight line religiously, should have just wrote change direction less I guess.

But you agree that the text book has got it slightly wrong?
Reply 14
I thought it was right... because changing direction more times makes you more likely to find somewhere NEW quicker, with more favourable conditions?

Oh im confused. -.-
Original post by Piddly
Well yes I don't mean that the woodlice to stick to the straight line religiously, should have just wrote change direction less I guess.

But you agree that the text book has got it slightly wrong?

I wouldn't say they got it wrong, but the book should have compared the favourable conditions and the unfavourable ones, which I'm sure it has done, it wouldn't be a lot of help if it hasn't :tongue:

EDIT: Then I was referring to the OCR textbook, the AQA nelson thornes one is completely wrong

Original post by Abby :)
I thought it was right... because changing direction more times makes you more likely to find somewhere NEW quicker, with more favourable conditions?

Oh im confused. -.-

Take a look at the drawings I've attached, all the lines are the same length(theoretically, I haven't measured them), the line on the top is where the direction has been changed more, so it stays closer together, the line in the middle is where a woodlice has changed directions less, and is moving out of unfavourable conditions. The line on the bottom represents a woodlice in favourable conditions, so it has changed directions more to stay in these conditions. See how it has barely moves from where it has started?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16

Take a look at the drawings I've attached, all the lines are the same length(theoretically, I haven't measured them), the line on the top is where the direction has been changed more, so it stays closer together, the line in the middle is where a woodlice has changed directions less, and is moving out of unfavourable conditions. The line on the bottom represents a woodlice in favourable conditions, so it has changed directions more to stay in these conditions. See how it has barely moves from where it has started?

Aaaah i get it, thanks alot!<3
Yeah, my teahcer pointed that out as a mistake :smile:
The book is correct. Woodlice turn correct, that is if they make a right turn, they will subsequently make a left turn. At speed this will ensure they explore the maximum amount of territory/habitat and this find favourable conditions. Walking in a straight line would limit the number of new environments they encounter.

My dissertation was on this very topic. If woodlice are in an adverse environment they will exhibit a kinesis response at speed and this will be in a zig zag motion or similar. They will not move in a circle due to their turn correction response which is activated by an obstacle (they will then make an oposite turn) or muscle fatigue.

The book is correct, sadly it appears there are many teachers who do not have the in depth knowledge on this subject.

Woodlice will also slow the response when the favourable environment is found. That is wet/damp and dark.
Reply 19
i always understood it to mean that by moving faster and changing directions more often you will reach favourable conditions faster. when in favourable conditions you move slower and change direction less because you dont need to go anywhere.
if you are in unfavourable conditions and you dont change direction you will head in a straight line, but by zigzaging you are covering the most ground and therefore increase your chances of finding better conditions.
there are mistakes in the books, but im sure this is not one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending