The Student Room Group

best way to revise for a level spanish (AQA)?

Original post by emm4nuella

Hey emm4nuella!

In terms of revision, it depends on what your stronger and weaker areas are. If you're not sure, maybe try some practice AQA questions online and check where you're missing the most marks. Then, I'd maybe check to see what your textbook/s have on that topic for a start - it could just be some small misunderstanding or errors which you can fix yourself. If you're not sure, your teacher/s may have some great resources - I think my primary online resource has always been SpanishDictionary.com, which has everything from conjugation to new vocab to grammar (and in grammar's case features example videos you work through to actually see real-life conversation), or even if it's just recapping old stuff on BBC Bitesize GCSE. Make sure you're practicing often and enough - don't overwork yourself, and don't cram, because you won't pick anything up. I think also that experimenting with different memory techniques (flash cards, mind maps, maybe even organising a quiz with classmates/friends might be fun) can make sure you don't get bored and changes things up. Maybe set up a schedule and keep to it - Reading Prep on Monday, Writing Prep on Wednesday, Speaking on Friday, Listening on Sunday, between 5-7pm or whatever... Really, this bit is specific to you - don't be worried if nothing works immediately! If you're just starting out, you have two whole years to sort it out. Again, asking around - classmates, teachers - for advice or methods which worked best for them is a big help.

Another tip might be checking out some of your favourite stuff in Spanish - TV, Film, Book, etc. all usually have pretty easily accessible Spanish translations. Also, this'll help prepare you for the film/text study you'll start, probably in Year 2. Similarly, try some podcasts in Spanish! Duolingo has one designed for Spanish speakers, and I've always found News in Slow Spanish to be both informative and helpful.

Once you feel confident enough for conversation, I find regular conversation is key to keeping the necessary skills (e.g. thinking on your feet, signposting, etc...) in shape. You can do this with classmates or teachers, or, if you're up for it, there are many language exchanges around, both in person and online. These can connect you with real native speakers, the idea being you can help someone/some people improve their English, while they help you improve your Spanish. Or, if you feel nervous speaking, find a pen pal - you don't need to give immediate responses and can read over your replies, but bear in mind you won't exactly have that in a speaking exam.

There's plenty of resources out there for anything you're struggling with, whether it's conjugating in el pluscuamperfecto (the past perfect) or you're not sure how to schedule a train. Finally, cheesy as it sounds, don't be disheartened by any mistakes you make along the way! Considering how few people learn a language today, even trying is a massive leap over most.

Buena suerte :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending