The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Out of sheer curiosity:

GCSE: 4A, 5B, 1C, 1D.
A levels: A Maths B Media C French b Further Maths
Degree: 1st in straight maths from Royal Holloway
EC's/Work exp: Let's assume I have none. (which I probably don't, none of much relevence)

My parents keep pushing me to at least find out about IB. I had extenuating circumstances at A level, but I'm reluctant to ever really tell an employer that just to get in, since it'd feel like taking advantage of a bad situation (illness/bereavement at AS). What would I be looking at exactly?
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Out of sheer curiosity:

GCSE: 4A, 5B, 1C, 1D.
A levels: A Maths B Media C French b Further Maths
Degree: 1st in straight maths from Royal Holloway
EC's/Work exp: Let's assume I have none. (which I probably don't, none of much relevence)

My parents keep pushing me to at least find out about IB. I had extenuating circumstances at A level, but I'm reluctant to ever really tell an employer that just to get in, since it'd feel like taking advantage of a bad situation (illness/bereavement at AS). What would I be looking at exactly?

Doing IB because your parents want to brag to the neighbours is a pretty horrible idea.
Original post by BigFudamental
Doing IB because your parents want to brag to the neighbours is a pretty horrible idea.

No point dismissing something without having a go though is there? Besides, it's more a passing curiosity that could delve into more if I can get a foot in.
Reply 2083
Original post by Mickeydee
Hey guys,
roughly my profile:

Bachelor with the major in International Business at a University in Germany, graduated among the top 10% of my class.
MA Management and Organizational Analysis at Warwick Business School coming fall.

Good enough for BB IB FO?

Thank you.

Anyone can be good enough for IB.

There's no magic formula - every job requires different skills (i put this in another post elsewhere):

Sales: communication
Trading: Decision making/analytical
Research: Analytical/Writing
Finance/Ops: Accuracy, reliability
IBD: Bit of everything, but more so bloody hard work.

SO, my point is that this thread almost doesn't need to exist. ANYONE can be good enough to work in IB. I know guys from all sorts of unis, all sorts of backgrounds and all sorts of education that work in IB.

Do what you enjoy with your life, then apply. If you get in, you get in. If not, re-evaluate and move on. It's not the be all and end all.
Original post by Jaldune
Anyone can be good enough for IB.

There's no magic formula - every job requires different skills (i put this in another post elsewhere):

Sales: communication
Trading: Decision making/analytical
Research: Analytical/Writing
Finance/Ops: Accuracy, reliability
IBD: Sucking off your boss

SO, my point is that this thread almost doesn't need to exist. ANYONE can be good enough to work in IB. I know guys from all sorts of unis, all sorts of backgrounds and all sorts of education that work in IB.

Do what you enjoy with your life, then apply. If you get in, you get in. If not, re-evaluate and move on. It's not the be all and end all.

fixed
Original post by wanderlust.xx
No point dismissing something without having a go though is there? Besides, it's more a passing curiosity that could delve into more if I can get a foot in.

By all means look into it, just make sure it's your decision at the end of the day.
Reply 2086
Alright, let's see what you can all make of me:

I've recently been forced to leave school after my AS-Levels due to legitimate family reasons which meant I was forced to move to the other end of the country. I'm looking to finish my A2's ASAP, either by learning the material myself and sitting the exams as an independent candidate, or at a college somewhere.

I'd be looking to get AAA, possibly A*AA and studying either Maths, Economics, or Econometrics/Mathematical Economics. I'd love to study at LSE or Oxbridge, but I think my GCSE's are too weak to secure a place so I'll probably end up at somewhere like Manchester or Leeds.

So what I'm really asking here is, assuming I complete my A2 levels and get AAA/A*AA and start university at the age of 19, and go through the general process for getting into IB, will the fact that I've essentially 'missed a year' effect my chances at all?

My grades and Relevant EC's:

8 GCSE's - 1 A*, 5 A's, 1 B, and 1C. The A* is in core science, and Maths and English (Lang/Lit) are A's.

4 AS Levels - Maths, Further Maths, Economics, General Studies (All A's)

Young Enterprise 2009-2010 - Took the role of 'Managing Director'

IFS Student Investor Challenge - Lead my group including me and 3 others.

Any advice and guidance is helpful. Thanks!
Original post by D.V.P

Apply to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Warwick and somewhere like Bristol or Manchester. Start a dialogue with the admission tutors and see if there's anything else you can do. They might remember you when they're handing out offers.
How hard would bath (economics with year placement) be for getting a FO job?
Reply 2089
Original post by IndieDavid
How hard would bath (economics with year placement) be for getting a FO job?

If you get some good ECs then Bath will not hold you back from getting an interview. Which Uni you go to doesn't make it that much easier getting a job, just easier getting an interview. The rest is down to you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2090
Got a question and it is sort of relevant to this thread, what do you guys think would put me in the best position for a FO or MO role in an investment bank or capital markets division of your average bank. International Business Finance and Economics BA from Manchester University or the recent KPMG School Leavers Program (should i get through the next and final round of interviews) and i am aware the latter is specifically accounting i mean as a later career "shift" into a bank. Thanks in advance:smile:

Ps. It may be that both options are pretty lame for getting into Banking:confused:
Reply 2091
Original post by snb
Got a question and it is sort of relevant to this thread, what do you guys think would put me in the best position for a FO or MO role in an investment bank or capital markets division of your average bank. International Business Finance and Economics BA from Manchester University or the recent KPMG School Leavers Program (should i get through the next and final round of interviews) and i am aware the latter is specifically accounting i mean as a later career "shift" into a bank. Thanks in advance:smile:

Ps. It may be that both options are pretty lame for getting into Banking:confused:

At the moment it is difficult to get into an Investment Bank without a university degree. That is not to say that KPMG scheme is bad but if you do it you are unlikely to get a job at a bank or at the very least taking a huge risk if that is what you want the ultimate outcome to be. It is a gamble either way. If you did the KPMG thing then in three years time you could have yourself a very nice job there and no student debt alternatively you could have a degree and debt but no job.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2092
Thanks for the quick reply DeeDub! Although the KPMG option gives you both a Degree (Accounting and Finance from Durham) and the Aca professional qualification. Plus £20,000 a year starting. Major decisions for me coming up. Hows that degree from Manchester seen in the banking world has anybody any ideas?
Reply 2093
Original post by snb
Thanks for the quick reply DeeDub! Although the KPMG option gives you both a Degree (Accounting and Finance from Durham) and the Aca professional qualification. Plus £20,000 a year starting. Major decisions for me coming up. Hows that degree from Manchester seen in the banking world has anybody any ideas?

Manchester isn't very highly regarded at all.
Reply 2094
Darn i liked it there. So wish i took Maths at A level could of opened a hell of a lot more doors to various universities
Reply 2095
Original post by 100
Manchester isn't very highly regarded at all.

Original post by snb
Darn i liked it there. So wish i took Maths at A level could of opened a hell of a lot more doors to various universities

The people from Manchester who I know have got jobs at IBs tended to do more maths heavy courses and not Economics. The KPMG scheme from what you say sounds very good but it would probably restrict you to BO positions, which have their pros and cons when compared to FO.
Reply 2096
Cheers for your replies guys have actually helped:smile:
Original post by DeeDub
The people from Manchester who I know have got jobs at IBs tended to do more maths heavy courses and not Economics. The KPMG scheme from what you say sounds very good but it would probably restrict you to BO positions, which have their pros and cons when compared to FO.

But you did Engineering & not maths... so you can hardly say that...
Reply 2098
Original post by ebam_uk

I said "maths heavy" which Engineering certainly is (more so than BA Econ) and I don't strictly speaking work in FO which is what the question was relating to.

Other Manchester grads I know did the following.

Physics --> Sales
BSc Econ --> Trading
PhD Maths --> QA
Comp Sci --> Tech

I know of a person who did BA Econ and is on the Corporate Markets (from what I understand it covers BO and FO rotations) grad scheme at Lloyds, but that isn't really equivalent to FO at a BB.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2099
Original post by ebam_uk

With all due respect, do you have any idea what an engineering degree entails?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending