The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

UEA Freshers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sophie1234
HIYA ALL,

I'm a first year drama at UEA so if anyone has ANY questions about the English and Drama, Drama or Scriptwriting and Performance course or anything about living on campus or in Norwich then let me know!

I'll do my best to help

Soph x

Hi!

I've firmed UEA for Scriptwriting for Performance and I honestly can't wait! What would you say are your favourite and least favourite things about the course? Also, I hear there were only limited places?

Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by mobius323
MChem* :wink:

Finally have a course buddy on here. I was starting to get desperate...

lols yay!..

WHat accom you sticking yourself into?
Original post by the666thmessiah
lols yay!..

WHat accom you sticking yourself into?

I'm probably going to be looking at Campus Ensuite, then Village Ensuite. As much as I really like the social aspect of Norfolk and Suffolk, I really don't think I could survive without my own bathroom. Plus, I just generally felt the ensuite rooms were nicer. Oh, and I hear that Norfolk and Suffolk's rooms turn into greenhouses in the Summer because of the wonderful big windows overlooking the broad. Me and heat go together like heat and Magnesium Oxide (lol chemistry joke, so bad).

What about you?
Original post by jelly1000
UEA are known to be lenient to those who miss their offer (except in the English department) so you should have a good chance of getting in.

A) that is a massive relief, however I have an offer for culture, lit and politics at ABB and I'm likely to get BBB will they still let me in?

B) Jelly not to sound like a stalker but what do you do or are planning to do at Uni as you seem to pop up in a lot of the threads I read apart from Uea :smile:
Original post by ellie_the_owl
A) that is a massive relief, however I have an offer for culture, lit and politics at ABB and I'm likely to get BBB will they still let me in?

B) Jelly not to sound like a stalker but what do you do or are planning to do at Uni as you seem to pop up in a lot of the threads I read apart from Uea :smile:

nooo its fine. Well I don't know about this year but at the Politics department open day last year (2010) we were all told that they had given people places because they liked their personal statement and that they would let you in even if you missed your grades. And they have let people in with BBB in the past. As per my sig, I'm going to study International Relations in september. I'm on my gap year and have way too much time on my hands hence posting a lot on here.
Ah okay :smile: It was you were appearing on politics threads a lot.
Reply 226
Got an A in the bag already! one more and a b and it's hello uea!
Firmed UEA for Biological and medicinal chemistry (Mchem). Looking forward to (hopefully) going.
Original post by mobius323
I'm probably going to be looking at Campus Ensuite, then Village Ensuite. As much as I really like the social aspect of Norfolk and Suffolk, I really don't think I could survive without my own bathroom. Plus, I just generally felt the ensuite rooms were nicer. Oh, and I hear that Norfolk and Suffolk's rooms turn into greenhouses in the Summer because of the wonderful big windows overlooking the broad. Me and heat go together like heat and Magnesium Oxide (lol chemistry joke, so bad).

What about you?

You explode? Is that right? *wonders if she absorbed ANY AS Chem*

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/may/10/creative-writing-courses
For any creative writers, they mention the UEA course and have a few writers and professors talking about whether creative writing can be taught.

I need to be asleep.
Reply 229

Firmed an offer, will be going if I get the grades :biggrin: *crosses fingers* That'll be for Film & Television Studies :smile:
Reply 230
Original post by diamonddust
You explode? Is that right? *wonders if she absorbed ANY AS Chem*

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/may/10/creative-writing-courses
For any creative writers, they mention the UEA course and have a few writers and professors talking about whether creative writing can be taught.

I need to be asleep.

Just read the article and comments... what did you think?
I haven't really thought about it, but looking at the article there seems to be many different points of view on the matter of whether CW can be taught.
It also made me question my own writing abilities... I mean, I love writing and have a lot of determination, but do I have the ability, the "spark" I suppose that some people mention great writers have, and some who didn't need to be taught?
Sorry, I think I'm rambling. But its made me think.
nooo its fine. Well I don't know about this year but at the Politics department open day last year (2010) we were all told that they had given people places because they liked their personal statement and that they would let you in even if you missed your grades. And they have let people in with BBB in the past. As per my sig, I'm going to study International Relations in september. I'm on my gap year and have way too much time on my hands hence posting a lot on here.

Sup Jelly. Did you get the politics/ international relations recommended summer reading list? And if so, have you read many books from it yet?

Lol I don't know if I already asked you this :L
Original post by daemongreen
Sup Jelly. Did you get the politics/ international relations recommended summer reading list? And if so, have you read many books from it yet?

Lol I don't know if I already asked you this :L

Nah you didn't. If I did I got it last year (Feb 2010) and binned it not long after as last time I applied I made Leeds my firm, Birmingham my insurance (missed both offers & retook & reapplied.) I haven't got anything from this year as I didn't bother with the post offer open day as the itinary was exactly the same. Is it online somewhere? Or would you be able to list a few books on here?
Nah you didn't. If I did I got it last year (Feb 2010) and binned it not long after as last time I applied I made Leeds my firm, Birmingham my insurance (missed both offers & retook & reapplied.) I haven't got anything from this year as I didn't bother with the post offer open day as the itinary was exactly the same. Is it online somewhere? Or would you be able to list a few books on here?

Nah its not online, I'll try and find it... Ok I found it, it consists of fiction, non fiction books and films. Im just going to tell you the non fiction ones first:

George Orwell, collected essays
Marx and Engels, the communist manifesto
A. Campbell, Alastair Campbeel Diaries
David Marquand, the progressive dilema
Paul Dangerfield, the strange death of liberal england
EP Thompson, the making of the english working class
Paul Gilroy, Aint no black in the union jack
John Reid, 10 days that shook the world
Jim Riordan, comrade jim
Hedrick Smith, the russians
Charlotte hobson, black eath city, a year in the heart of russia
Anner funder, stasiland
john ofarrell, things can only get better
TE lawrence, seven pillars of wisdom
Robert Fisk, The great war for civilisation
Edward Said, Orientalism
David Halberstam, the best and the brightest
Joseph Nye, the future of power
Barack Obama, the dreams of my father
Barack Obama, the audicity of hope
Gillien Tett, fools gold
Colin Hay, why we hate politics
Gerry Stoker, why politics matter
Machiavelli, The Prince.

Hope this helps. If you also want the non fiction books, just ask :smile:
Original post by daemongreen
Nah its not online, I'll try and find it... Ok I found it, it consists of fiction, non fiction books and films. Im just going to tell you the non fiction ones first:

George Orwell, collected essays
Marx and Engels, the communist manifesto
A. Campbell, Alastair Campbeel Diaries
David Marquand, the progressive dilema
Paul Dangerfield, the strange death of liberal england
EP Thompson, the making of the english working class
Paul Gilroy, Aint no black in the union jack
John Reid, 10 days that shook the world
Jim Riordan, comrade jim
Hedrick Smith, the russians
Charlotte hobson, black eath city, a year in the heart of russia
Anner funder, stasiland
john ofarrell, things can only get better
TE lawrence, seven pillars of wisdom
Robert Fisk, The great war for civilisation
Edward Said, Orientalism
David Halberstam, the best and the brightest
Joseph Nye, the future of power
Barack Obama, the dreams of my father
Barack Obama, the audicity of hope
Gillien Tett, fools gold
Colin Hay, why we hate politics
Gerry Stoker, why politics matter
Machiavelli, The Prince.

Hope this helps. If you also want the non fiction books, just ask :smile:

Cheers for that. I must admit I haven't heard of any of them apart from the Communist Manifesto. I may attempt to read a book when my summer really gets under way.
Reply 235
Has anyone applied for accomadation yet?
Original post by Emily-claire
Has anyone applied for accomadation yet?

It's not open yet, so no.
Reply 237
It's not open yet, so no.

Ohkayyy, just checking I hadn't missed out on anything. With all this talk of accomodation, I was worried.
Ohkayyy, just checking I hadn't missed out on anything. With all this talk of accomodation, I was worried.

I'm sure you'll get an email about it.

UEA seems like the most logical place in regards to accommodation anyway, it's not really possible to miss out considering they aren't first come first served like other places. *cough* Kent *cough* :tongue:

I REALLY want to apply for accommodation now too! I'm so impatient! First I was like 'There's no point applying early when I don't know if I'll get in' and now I'm just like 'I NEED to apply!'
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending