The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
I was under the impression that an OTA would either kill your root or re-add the stock stuff...

Maybe I'm mistaken though.

Im not sure...

I should have waited until after my exams before taking on this task. haha.
Original post by Jack7Richards
Im not sure...

I should have waited until after my exams before taking on this task. haha.

Any OTA would be specific to your phone + carrier, therefore if you did install an OTA update, it'd still have all the Orange bloatware. This is done either via IMEI or serial (think IMEI), so there's nothing you can do. If you want rid of Orange ware, a custom ROM is the only way to remove it.
Original post by mikeyd85

TBF, the Desire HD screen ain't that great. My Desire S is all over it when side by side.

Yeah it's fine I guess but next to newer screens it definitely feels washed out. You took back the G2X?
I like the HTC sense system, I just didn't like all the stuff orange had put on there.
Im also having problems with the market, i.e the market software wont update itself, and all downloads of market apps are failing.

everything else is working fine :s-smilie:

OTA's wont work if you removed any stock apps, ie all the orange bloatware. But like everyone said who cares just download a custom rom that runs sense. I will never understand why people want OTA's when the custom roms have pretty much all the problems fixed within weeks.
Any OTA would be specific to your phone + carrier, therefore if you did install an OTA update, it'd still have all the Orange bloatware. This is done either via IMEI or serial (think IMEI), so there's nothing you can do. If you want rid of Orange ware, a custom ROM is the only way to remove it.

Thanks again for the help
Original post by G8D
Just install a nice Sense ROM, don't worry about OTAs :smile:

Any recommendations?
Original post by yoyo462001
Yeah it's fine I guess but next to newer screens it definitely feels washed out. You took back the G2X?

Yeah, piece of **** that it was. Far, far, far too buggy for release.
Reply 5147
Hey guys. Mt operating system is 2.1 how do I upgrade to 2.2 or even 2.3 ? Thankks
Reply 5148
Um galaxy s , rooted ?

I was just about to post the same. Going to be a v. difficult choice between this and GSII especially if HTC retroactively unlock the bootloader
Any recommendations?

I use LeeDrOiD (2.3d, as I think there are a couple of issues with 2.4.1) on my Desire. :smile:
Original post by wizard710

I was just about to post the same. Going to be a v. difficult choice between this and GSII especially if HTC retroactively unlock the bootloader

that review I felt was scored right. Htc have become stagnant, they have no wow factor now. I used to be a fan of the UI, whilst I think it's still the best out there (for manufacturers) it's not enough to keep me from buying a wow factor phone such as the GSII. Plus locked bootloader is a complete no for me. The only thing, and I mean only thing keeping me on Sense Roms atm is the facebook and contact integration is pretty amazing, especially with facebook.

Get the GSII.

If the Infuse 4G were to come out in the UK with a dual core, I'd buy it in a snapshot! 4.5" Super Amoled Plus :coma:
Reply 5152
hey i wanna know if anyone can help me, I want to order the GSII from the carphonewarehouse on the £27 a month o2 contract

my first question is are internet speeds on o2 slowed down like they are on t-mobile when you buy through a third party retailer?

Also if i order through topcashback how will i know its tracked?

and finally will the topcashback still work when i pick up at the store?

that review I felt was scored right. Htc have become stagnant, they have no wow factor now. I used to be a fan of the UI, whilst I think it's still the best out there (for manufacturers) it's not enough to keep me from buying a wow factor phone such as the GSII. Plus locked bootloader is a complete no for me. The only thing, and I mean only thing keeping me on Sense Roms atm is the facebook and contact integration is pretty amazing, especially with facebook.

Get the GSII.

If the Infuse 4G were to come out in the UK with a dual core, I'd buy it in a snapshot! 4.5" Super Amoled Plus :coma:

I know and I like the idea of NFC so I'll wait till Sammy update the SGSII
Reply 5154
I know and I like the idea of NFC so I'll wait till Sammy update the SGSII

I can't wait until then!
Yo guys, is it a big deal if you sell your phone rooted with a slightly different firmware?

Also, how can you tell if you're phone is unlocked to all networks? I remember my phone had the Vodafone boot screen, but thats been removed because I rooted and what not. I've been using it on O2 ever since, just want to check so I don't get accused of false advertising. :colondollar:

Edit:
I'm wanting to "format" - how do I go about doing this on Android?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by spikeymike
Yo guys, is it a big deal if you sell your phone rooted with a slightly different firmware?

Rooted is surely an advantage, firmware probably not a big deal.

Also, how can you tell if you're phone is unlocked to all networks? I remember my phone had the Vodafone boot screen, but thats been removed because I rooted and what not. I've been using it on O2 ever since, just want to check so I don't get accused of false advertising. :colondollar:

I think you just have to try SIMs from different networks?

Edit:
I'm wanting to "format" - how do I go about doing this on Android?

There should be a 'restore factory settings' somewhere in the settings if that's what you mean.
Original post by alex_hk90
Rooted is surely an advantage, firmware probably not a big deal.

I think you just have to try SIMs from different networks?

There should be a 'restore factory settings' somewhere in the settings if that's what you mean.

I guess...

Hmm... not sure if I have any other sims. :holmes:

Ah yeah, I see it, I just want wipe my data before selling. :ta:

Get the GSII.

I agree with you on a few points here. First of all, I also believe that HTC has lost the "wow factor" that you stated. For a while now, they have just released the "same" phone over and over again with marginal, if any, spec increases. The HD Desire, HD2, HTC Inspire; all great phones but all generally the same, and there are years in between each. Don't get me wrong, the build quality is great and I have an ATT branded Nexus 1 myself that I love to death, however I got that phone recently because of it's openness and my ability to customize it however i please.

Custom ROMs, kernels, a multicolored trackball and unrestricted, free tethering are all perks of having the phone :wink:

But yea, HTC just stated that they aren't locking bootloaders anymore so that's good news; if the Sensation was coming out for ATT I probably would think about getting that, however with the locked bootloader on that and the Galaxy S 2 right around the corner (for US anyway), I'll probably just get that instead.
Ok, complete n00b question here. If i'm using my phone and check out facebook and then go off to do something else it continues to run in the background using data to get chat messages/other updates constantly...

IS there an easy way to close programs when i'm not using them? Upon a quick google Android likes things running in the background but i only hav 500Mb a month so don't want everything online constantly...

HTC Desire S btw..
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending