The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MHorman
Ok, complete n00b question here. If i'm using my phone and check out facebook and then go off to do something else it continues to run in the background using data to get chat messages/other updates constantly...

IS there an easy way to close programs when i'm not using them? Upon a quick google Android likes things running in the background but i only hav 500Mb a month so don't want everything online constantly...

HTC Desire S btw..

On my HTC Legend - Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Facebook > Force Stop.

Other option would be to turn off mobile internet. (settings > wireless and networks > mobile networks)
(edited 12 years ago)
I have 500MB, turn mine off whenever not using it...saves battery too!
Original post by G8D
Use the back button to exit.
Otherwise you can disable notifications or sign out of chat.
OR (the best option) is to turn off mobile data. 500MB is best saved where possible. No real point leaving it on all the time.

Brilliant. When i want to be all active on my phone when i'm out i can just turn that on and i'm "live"...

Btw, expect a lot more stupid n00b questions over the next few weeks... Will make a change from the kernels and ROMs and flashing etc that i saw earlier...
Original post by G8D
You might want to install 3G Watchdog to help you keep an eye on your limit.

Is there a free version of the same app?:colone:

Not that i don't mind paying but i had a look and saw some free apps with similiar ish ability and wondered if they would be just as good...

Edit: Nvm, turns out it is free and i was looking at the pro verison...
You'd have to send like millions of messages all with your data on to actually use all your 500mb limit.
I never reach above 250ish, but I use wifi for downloads and literally check something then turn it off.

Original post by G8D
I get so close to 500MB every month. I have to prevent myself going over it.

Original post by greeneyedgirl
I never reach above 250ish, but I use wifi for downloads and literally check something then turn it off.

Is that based on the readout from 3G Watchdog, or something from your phone company? I get slightly worried by a few people reporting that the app's inaccurate. :erm:
Original post by Illusionary
Is that based on the readout from 3G Watchdog, or something from your phone company? I get slightly worried by a few people reporting that the app's inaccurate. :erm:

3G Watchdog, but the one month I got close (80%) I checked on Orange readout to make sure wasn't any closer.

Original post by G8D
I use the app, never fails me.

Sometimes check the Orange readout when I'm close to the limit.

I'm usually in the 90%+range by the end of the month and have only gone over once (deliberately).

Original post by greeneyedgirl
3G Watchdog, but the one month I got close (80%) I checked on Orange readout to make sure wasn't any closer.

Thanks :yy: Now I need to see if O2 have a similar service...
hey guys, haven't posted here for a long time, but I thought this was the best place for it. I have just been asked to help sell my mums iPod touch on the bay, so I was having a play about with it tonight. I've used peoples iPhones/iPods before but this is the first time I've had a long time to get to grips with the thing. I just wanted to see how it compared to my HTC Legend as it is basically the iPhone without the phone...

I must say, since using my Legend for a year and a half now, Jesus Christ is this iPod unintuitive! no hardwired buttons, no menu screen to access for any apps - just a single settings menu that you have to come out of the application you are on to get to.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe Apple customers are blinded by the style... But I was always under the impression that the iPhone OS was really simple and easy to use and was a key part of their success.

Using the iPod has just further confirmed to me how much better Android is.... I would never trade down.
Reply 5170
anyone know how you know if topcashback has tracked? i wanna get the sII but using topcashback. do you have to wait until you complete the order and hope they credit your account?
Original post by st_23

Original post by st_23
anyone know how you know if topcashback has tracked? i wanna get the sII but using topcashback. do you have to wait until you complete the order and hope they credit your account?

The purchase won't track until you've fully gone through the order process, but then should show up on your account activity on TCB. After that, your TCB account should hopefully be credited reasonably shortly (could be a week or two) after payment's gone through.
Reply 5172
The purchase won't track until you've fully gone through the order process, but then should show up on your account activity on TCB. After that, your TCB account should hopefully be credited reasonably shortly (could be a week or two) after payment's gone through.

Ok thanks, think i will order it tomorrow (cba right now) as prices seem to be creeping up for the GSII
Original post by st_23

Original post by st_23
Ok thanks, think i will order it tomorrow (cba right now) as prices seem to be creeping up for the GSII

How much are you looking at getting it for?
Reply 5174
How much are you looking at getting it for?

well on the carphone warehouse website it is £27 on o2 with a free phone and with £40 cashback that will be roughly an average on £25 a month. Thats for 300 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb internet

All the best deals seem to be with t-mobile (although no directly though them :angry:) and i dont wanna have throttled internet
Original post by st_23

Original post by st_23
well on the carphone warehouse website it is £27 on o2 with a free phone and with £40 cashback that will be roughly an average on £25 a month. Thats for 300 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb internet

All the best deals seem to be with t-mobile (although no directly though them :angry:) and i dont wanna have throttled internet

Yeah, that looks pretty good to me (assuming you want 500MB data/month). If you have some up-front cash and don't need quite as many minutes, you could make a bit of a saving on one of the tariffs available from O2 directly? http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pay_monthly/init/Samsung/Galaxy_S_II
Reply 5176
Yeah, that looks pretty good to me (assuming you want 500MB data/month). If you have some up-front cash and don't need quite as many minutes, you could make a bit of a saving on one of the tariffs available from O2 directly? http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pay_monthly/init/Samsung/Galaxy_S_II

Yeah need the texts an internet. Is rather go through o2 but the carphone warehouse don't charge anything for the phone so its like £60 cheaper
Thanks :yy: Now I need to see if O2 have a similar service...

If you find it let me know... :smile:

I got 3G watchdog down now...

Although there's only a finite amount of stuff i can use because my main number is still on my old phone...

Also, which is the good free F1 live timing/tracker app?
Apparently there's a good free one and when i searched i found like 30+ for varying costs and didn't wanna DL crap..
Original post by MHorman
Also, which is the good free F1 live timing/tracker app?
Apparently there's a good free one and when i searched i found like 30+ for varying costs and didn't wanna DL crap..

I don't know if it was free but there was one recommended a few pages back in this thread - here. I haven't used it myself though.
Original post by alex_hk90
I don't know if it was free but there was one recommended a few pages back in this thread - here. I haven't used it myself though.

Ty, i forgot which thread i'd asked in last week or if i'd asked my bro over msn or something... And when i was searching i was typing in F1 so not getting this as a result.

Tyvm...:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending