The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeritV
No I didn't go:frown:

Well I don't really know what to do with the books yet, I'm gonna buy as many as I can for my kindle so that I don't have to carry a lot of heavy stuff on me. The rest I simply don't know yet :frown:

oh you should have come! i can't wait to start now, I'm glad I was assigned to St Hilda's (i did an open application) it seems like the college for me! what kind of books are on your reading list? I think a kindle will be a good investment, but it's a shame that most of my books are quite pricey :frown:
Original post by I eat poo
anyone offer for st hugh's?x

Hi, welcome back :smile: I remember you, poo, you got the weirdest offer ever innit; open offer sent by St. Hugh's, which didn't even interview you :hmmmm: Does your post above means that Hugh's has clarified it now for you?
Original post by shoshin
Hi, welcome back :smile: I remember you, poo, you got the weirdest offer ever innit; open offer sent by St. Hugh's, which didn't even interview you :hmmmm: Does your post above means that Hugh's has clarified it now for you?

haha i remember you too! well i keep on getting emails from them, and also they have also emailed my school asking how i am? im just assuming that its an offer from them! I just want to find someone whos got an offer from there :smile: i have searched but havnt found anyone :/ x
Reply 1603
Original post by jenny18
Another kindle lover! Hello! I, too, am going to try and use my kindle for Oxford stuff. Which course are you going for? I ask, because I'm going for English and each time I mention kindles to other equally addicted bookworms they look at my like a heretic (I half expect to be warded off with garlic and a cross! :giggle:

Now...books are my first love. Nothing can beat the feel of one in your hands or the smell of an unopened book. And I like leaving bookmarks in books for me to find later (old tickets etc...) and remembering where I went, what I did, whilst reading and all of those things don't happen with kindles. However, for sheer practicality the kindle wins. I mean, I'd like to read Les Miserables, but each time I look at it in a shop the size is daunting. It's not easy to carry! On a kindle, not only is it the size of a kindle, it is also pretty cheap!

All of these factors are fab for Oxford. But then again, it is the town of libraries so I probably shouldn't worry anyway.

That at the top should be a quote from...BeritV, so I think I may have broken the quote thingy. Sorry!

Haha I'm hopefully going for PPE.
Didn't really get to use my kindle much yet, cuz I'm trying to focus on my exams, but I have a feeling that I won't put it down during the summer. :smile:
haha i remember you too! well i keep on getting emails from them, and also they have also emailed my school asking how i am? im just assuming that its an offer from them! I just want to find someone whos got an offer from there :smile: i have searched but havnt found anyone :/ x

Did you know 'bout the 'St. Hugh's Incoming 2011' group on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_179165498769043

Or maybe trawl through the old 'Look at me, I've got an offer' thread on TSR, there are definitely a few St.Hugh's on there :smile:
Original post by micky022
Haha, you're determined aren't you? :tongue:

Oh dear God, which one? The only one I would let live is Greg, and even then after a couple of beatings. My school doesn't have any famous alumni. However, we're a Catholic school so can we count the Pope as an alumnus? :wink:

Gaz. :s-smilie:

And WOW, yeah you can, got to love the Pope.
Mind me asking what school you do actually go to?
x

Woop woop! Another physicist! Have you been sent anything yet?

I have an offer from St Hugh's to read History :-) have you seen the college? It's really nice, it was my first choice.
Original post by flywithemma
Gaz. :s-smilie:

And WOW, yeah you can, got to love the Pope.
Mind me asking what school you do actually go to?

I shall PM you it :smile:

Everyone loves a bit of Popey, except maybe the Westboro Baptist Church :tongue:
Original post by micky022
I shall PM you it :smile:

Everyone loves a bit of Popey, except maybe the Westboro Baptist Church :tongue:

A boy in my history class had a twitter argument with one of the members of the Westboro Baptist Church :tongue:
A boy in my history class had a twitter argument with one of the members of the Westboro Baptist Church :tongue:

They use Twitter? I thought God was against computers...
I have a place to do Maths and Philosophy at New College, but I haven't heard anything about a reading list. Do we actually get sent them or is it just the background reading lists that can be found on the website?
Pssh, she doesn't need to agree to it, it's 2 against one. :tongue:

And hehe, my claim to fame is that one of the guys on Geordie Shore went to my school :') such a beautiful beautiful thing, the fact he's the most famous alumni says something about the state of my school, mind you. :tongue:

I LOVE Geordie Shore :biggrin:

Its hilarious! Though that is a pretty bad claim to fame for your school :tongue:

Then again, I might love Geordie Shore less when I get to uni and people make the link when I say I'm a geordie :colone: but i'll probably just play devils advocate and start talking about "tashing on" :cool:

You are hearing from them?? Jealousy, I want more information, they've gone dead silent apart from the reading list I got a while back!! :tongue: (Offer for PPE btw :smile: )
Reply 1614
any hot guys got offers? :tongue: x

*wishes to know this too*

Original post by Charlottepb1
I have a place to do Maths and Philosophy at New College, but I haven't heard anything about a reading list. Do we actually get sent them or is it just the background reading lists that can be found on the website?

Hey, another MPer! I haven't got one from Merton yet, but I think reading lists get sent out by colleges rather than departments anyway. I think I made a MP-er thread at some point once, I might see if I can dredge it up.
Do we have any engineers here?
Original post by LtCommanderData

Sappin' your sentries?
Reply 1618
l always preferred

:tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1619
Any chance of being added to the Oxford Offer holders list?

jenny18, English, Lincoln.

I like the way this thread is called 'Offer holders'. It's exciting enough to be exciting, whilst not being the, possibly luck testing over confident 'incoming class'. That's why I'm loathe to join the facebook group. What if I end up not being in the 'incoming class'?

Scuttles off to revise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending