The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flywithemma
Eep, I have 2 exams at the end of this week and I'm so scared. I don't seem to have got into a motivated mindset at ALL this exam season, I'm sure I've not done enough work and have left everything too late...and I really don't think I'm going to get an A in French :cry2:

I have two exams on Thursday and have spent today doing nothing. I don't know what's wrong with me! :cry2:
Original post by marieparis22
I have two exams on Thursday and have spent today doing nothing. I don't know what's wrong with me! :cry2:

Original post by Sakildo
Quite a few people are in that boat. I have three exams across Thursday/Friday. Done such little work its unreal. So ****ed.

I thought having an offer would be THE ultimate motivation ever...I guess I thought wrong. :frown:

What exams do you have? I have English Lit Thursday morning (which luckily I THINK I only need about a C in to get an A because I did well on my coursework) and then French Friday afternoon, for which I am truly terrified. Translations are just so impossible :frown: Basically me making my Oxford offer all depends on if the paper is nice :cry2:
Reply 1682
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
This reminds me, I actually did a list in a spreadsheet of all the offer holders, based on this thread, the original applicants' thread and the 'look at me' thread.

'Tis here if anyone's interested :smile:

wow that's ace thanks a lot that's gonna be mega helpful :smile:
Original post by Lucy23
my offer is from jesus (:
i think most of the people at jesus doing chemistry are girls (they were on the intro weekend)

Ok well im going to be one of the few guys doing chemistry at jesus lol i couldnt go to the weekend as had to have surgury on my knee :/ how was it? whats your offer for?
Reply 1684
I thought having an offer would be THE ultimate motivation ever...I guess I thought wrong. :frown:

What exams do you have? I have English Lit Thursday morning (which luckily I THINK I only need about a C in to get an A because I did well on my coursework) and then French Friday afternoon, for which I am truly terrified. Translations are just so impossible :frown: Basically me making my Oxford offer all depends on if the paper is nice :cry2:

Oh dear. English. Need to learn three texts, three sets of critics & three sets of context (admittedly this part isn't awful). Uh-oh. But yeah, the UMS/coursework thing does make it nice, needing like Ds & Cs to get As, haha. Takes pressure off. Got English Lit., C3 Maths & Economics.
Reply 1685
This reminds me, I actually did a list in a spreadsheet of all the offer holders, based on this thread, the original applicants' thread and the 'look at me' thread.

You are AWESOME!

I will post the link to the OP, if you don't mind :smile:
Reply 1686
Original post by OceanFlanker
Ok well im going to be one of the few guys doing chemistry at jesus lol i couldnt go to the weekend as had to have surgury on my knee :/ how was it? whats your offer for?

it was good, altho our weekend was all the science nerds :P (phys, chem & engineering lol) and they are quite strict on what you can do now becuase in previous years they have left it completely up to the students and it didn't go so well (basically all the 'babies' (us) got really drunk and one threw up on the dean)
but everyone was really friendly even tho we did spend part of our evening playing articulate (surprisingly fun)
pretty much all the other girls there were for chem (i think there might be 9 girls altho cuold be making this up :biggrin:)
Original post by Lucy23
it was good, altho our weekend was all the science nerds :P (phys, chem & engineering lol) and they are quite strict on what you can do now becuase in previous years they have left it completely up to the students and it didn't go so well (basically all the 'babies' (us) got really drunk and one threw up on the dean)
but everyone was really friendly even tho we did spend part of our evening playing articulate (surprisingly fun)
pretty much all the other girls there were for chem (i think there might be 9 girls altho cuold be making this up :biggrin:)

9 girls for chem? im sure they said they only give out like 7-10 offers for each subject? for the interview it was about 50-50 i think cant remember too much tbh. I was going to come but was on crutches and they wouldn't let me stay 2 nights so wasnt really possible :frown: were there many guys there for physics/ engineering?
Reply 1688
Original post by OceanFlanker
9 girls for chem? im sure they said they only give out like 7-10 offers for each subject? for the interview it was about 50-50 i think cant remember too much tbh. I was going to come but was on crutches and they wouldn't let me stay 2 nights so wasnt really possible :frown: were there many guys there for physics/ engineering?

ah maybe 9 people overall :P
errr there were a few girls doing physics but mostly guys
and me & then 5 or 6 guys doing engineering
sorry i dont remember exact numbers!!!
where was your other interview?
Original post by jenny18
Ooo this is exciting. This brings the number of people who I will have had a conversation with before I go up to...five. I think. No one from my school is going. So I'm just counting the people I remember from open days etc...

Is anyone here from a school which sends lots of people? My school doesn't have a history of oxbridge at all.

Also...I've just realised that everyone who I've been chatting to on the thread will be people I'll possibly meet whilst in Oxford. So it's even more exciting!!! :smile:

I'm the only person in my year of 13 people to get an offer to Oxbridge. 3 of us applied, 1 to Cambridge and got through to interview, and 2 of us to Oxford. I had an interview, the other guy was rejected before interview which was mind boggling. We're only the second Year 13 to go through our school, and I'm the first Oxbridge offer holder which is quite exciting! :biggrin:

That's some pretty good dedication... who is this dziip cat?

I have English lit on Thursday morning too. I've given up on even reading one of my set texts, I'm just gonna learn the plot and some quotes.

And anyone can edit it so nobody has to be pestered to keep updating the list - genius! +1 rep for you :biggrin:

Ah, sure they are! I'm SO worried about French it's unbelievable. I'm so grateful that I didn't drop Maths last year, because then I'd know I definitely wouldn't be going to Oxford. Saying that though, C4 didn't go too well on Monday either. :frown:
I think you'll be fine though! I have faith in you! :biggrin:
Which exam board are you taking for French? If it's AQA I'll drop the grade boundaries a bit for you. :wink:
Original post by Lucy23
ah maybe 9 people overall :P
errr there were a few girls doing physics but mostly guys
and me & then 5 or 6 guys doing engineering
sorry i dont remember exact numbers!!!
where was your other interview?

Ohh ok i was a lucky one who only had one interview which was soo nice :smile: did you have a second? when was your interview weekend? The interviews had such a weird atomosphere everyone trying to compete etc. sounds like it was much better at the offer holders weekend.
Original post by brendan.
Ah, sure they are! I'm SO worried about French it's unbelievable. I'm so grateful that I didn't drop Maths last year, because then I'd know I definitely wouldn't be going to Oxford. Saying that though, C4 didn't go too well on Monday either. :frown:
I think you'll be fine though! I have faith in you! :biggrin:
Which exam board are you taking for French? If it's AQA I'll drop the grade boundaries a bit for you. :wink:

Dont worry, I did C4 last year, felt like it went terribly but I got 90 ums on it :smile:
Original post by zigzog7
Dont worry, I did C4 last year, felt like it went terribly but I got 90 ums on it :smile:

Ah really? Fingers crossed then! :biggrin:
Reply 1697

I have the same exams as you! English Cambridge pre u and aqa french. I am really worried now about English. It's 25% of my course, and it's a two year course so i've got nothing to fall back on. It is possible that even if I have full marks in the other papers and coursework, I could still get a b equivalent. French wise....loo errr. Not looking fab at the moment, must go and revise.

Two unrelated comments before I go. Firstly, does anyone else do a pre u paper? I only ask because my offer is technically A in history and French, then D3 in English. That just sounds ridiculous doesn't it? I know D3 is the same as an A, roughly, but it's a great thing to say to freak people out when they ask what grades I need for Oxford.

Secondly, last night, for the first time I read the advice fir freshers in the Lincoln college website. It's for last years intake, but still there's a lot of frightening information. It says that reading lists for the arts type subjects, english, philosophy, languages etc are already sent out before a level results. Which means, that if they do the same as last year, I can expect a reading list for over the summer. That would be amazing. Also, there's a leaflet thing on there describing tutorials and things in lots of detail. Terrifying!!!!!! :eek:
Original post by brendan.

Hehe it's AQA. Although I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile: I'm also sure the people I know (me included) will do a good enough job at dropping the boundaries on our own :tongue:
Weirdly (or, possibly, stupidly) I'm not THAT worried about the essay. Just those evil translations

I'm so grateful that I didn't drop Maths last year, because then I'd know I definitely wouldn't be going to Oxford.

That quote could come back to haunt me if I end up missing my offer. I DID drop Maths, against the advice of my teachers who told me I'd get an A in it...ahh. Oh well. I don't think I'd have been able to cope with four/all the hard maths. I just like simultaneous equations :colondollar:

Anyway good luck!

Original post by riotgrrl
I have English lit on Thursday morning too. I've given up on even reading one of my set texts, I'm just gonna learn the plot and some quotes.

Yeah, I have a very similar attitude to you...I really just need to learn quotes. Are you doing AQA (spec B??) Pastoral/Gothic? If so, what texts are you doing?

Yeah, I have a very similar attitude to you...I really just need to learn quotes. Are you doing AQA (spec B??) Pastoral/Gothic? If so, what texts are you doing?

No, I'm doing WJEC, gotta do Lyrical Ballads and Hamlet/The Revenger's Tragedy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending