The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rorydaredking
I think its all a bit odd tbh. People who know about these things, like the difference between Froyo and GB, should surely just flash a custom ROM.

Generally I'd prefer a custom ROM based on official GB with Sense than an unofficial one.
Grr. Yet another delay from MobilePhonesDirect. Shan't be receiving my Sensation until 23rd June now.
Original post by Trimeresurus
Grr. Yet another delay from MobilePhonesDirect. Shan't be receiving my Sensation until 23rd June now.

Harsh. Very harsh.
Reply 5323
Should be getting my Samsung Galaxy SL i9003 soon :biggrin:

Original post by G8D
Around 300MB I think.

I don't know if you listen to any Engadget podcasts but one of the main phone guys on there "Vlad" always complains about how heavy Sense it. I currently have a N1 so I've never really had to endure it, however, I have a friend that has an Inspire and it definitely looks heavy.
Original post by mikeyd85
Harsh. Very harsh.

Agreed. This is the third time they've delayed the order now, despite the fact it wasn't due to be sent out for 12 days in the first place.

If they delay it again, I'll probably just cancel.
Original post by Trimeresurus
Agreed. This is the third time they've delayed the order now, despite the fact it wasn't due to be sent out for 12 days in the first place.

If they delay it again, I'll probably just cancel.

Wouldn't blame you. They're probably struggling for stock.

Original post by Young Spade
I don't know if you listen to any Engadget podcasts but one of the main phone guys on there "Vlad" always complains about how heavy Sense it. I currently have a N1 so I've never really had to endure it, however, I have a friend that has an Inspire and it definitely looks heavy.

I would say the benefits of sense for the average user far outweigh the negative impact of its foot print, especially with the power of devices these days. For advanced users, there is always CM7.
Original post by wizard710

In reality all companies do things like that. We can even extend this to politics, we will hire X many more people and you give us a tax break. I'm not surprised Google did that.

He's exaggerating to an extent, yeah Sense is big but on a well spec'd phone it doesn't really matter. And as bad as I hate Sense, if a dev gets their hands on it and cleans it up, it's much better than anything out there including CM 7.
Original post by yoyo462001

In reality all companies do things like that. We can even extend this to politics, we will hire X many more people and you give us a tax break. I'm not surprised Google did that.

He's exaggerating to an extent, yeah Sense is big but on a well spec'd phone it doesn't really matter. And as bad as I hate Sense, if a dev gets their hands on it and cleans it up, it's much better than anything out there including CM 7.

Oh I know he is, he definitely goes out on the deep end sometimes though :smile:

But yea, it was very fast and smooth on the Inspire; by heavy I mean graphically and visually heavy. Using a stock gingerbread phone is like night and day; no it isn't as "pretty" or loaded down with menus, graphics, and icons but it does feel a lot lighter and the overall experience is snappy.

Of course, using an Atrix was just a little faster and that's cursed with MotoBlur :/

Wouldn't blame you. They're probably struggling for stock.

I would say the benefits of sense for the average user far outweigh the negative impact of its foot print, especially with the power of devices these days. For advanced users, there is always CM7.

Oh of course; for the average person they would prefer skins over the stock look; it's prettier and things are generally easier to find.

I have CM7 on my phone solely for the "all app to sd" feature; the Nexus 1 has a paltry 190mb of application space when you aren't using it :/

But yea, never buying a phone with a locked bootloader let alone keeping one stock with a skin. Of course that might change when I finally get my hands on the Galaxy S 2 or something better but until then, I love the freedom and customization I get when using custom ROMs.
Oh of course; for the average person they would prefer skins over the stock look; it's prettier and things are generally easier to find.

I have CM7 on my phone solely for the "all app to sd" feature; the Nexus 1 has a paltry 190mb of application space when you aren't using it :/

But yea, never buying a phone with a locked bootloader let alone keeping one stock with a skin. Of course that might change when I finally get my hands on the Galaxy S 2 or something better but until then, I love the freedom and customization I get when using custom ROMs.

Sorry bout neg... Hit it instead of my intended target of quote. I'll make it up to you.

As I've used sense and stock and launcher pro over both too, I've got a good idea of what I like and honestly, its a mix of all of them you can't reproduce without running far too much bloat.

Must admit, I was like that when I had my hero, lord knows how many times I flashed that, but now I have a desire s, I'm not too fussed. I hope HTC unlock it one day, but that's mainly for root and hopefully ice cream if they don't support it officially on here. Either way, I don't feel I'm missing out on too much (also, my phone is unbranded which is nice. Orange bloat has annoyed me far too much to get a locked phone).

Also a2sd saved my hero for sure. :cool:
Seriously, I know I've already said it, but the sense from Flyer ROM's is epic. its 160 dpi which is obviously a massive improvement. Once devs work out how to add more icons to each page and resize the stuff properly (which will be about a week based on pyramid roms) it will be by far the best skin imo on android. I ran adw for ages, but it got too i don't know... I just missed stuff from sense like linked contacts. And on sense roms, none of the apps worked with 180dpi.

Original post by G8D
You can link contacts on Android generally..

Assuming you mean phone/facebook/twitter/last.fm.

Yeah I know, but I don't know. I find sense slightly different and slightly better haha

Sounds lovely! Your link needs fixing though. :smile:

If that is true which I think it is, there were pics of a HTC aluminium phone with no buttons, then I'll probably upgrade/buy to it. My only gripe with it is if it's a crappy 720p screen and non 4.3 inch.
If that is true which I think it is, there were pics of a HTC aluminium phone with no buttons, then I'll probably upgrade/buy to it. My only gripe with it is if it's a crappy 720p screen and non 4.3 inch.

Crappy 720p screen? That would be the resolution of a typical 26 - 32 inch TV crammed into a 4.3 inch screen!!!

Sorry bout neg... Hit it instead of my intended target of quote. I'll make it up to you.

As I've used sense and stock and launcher pro over both too, I've got a good idea of what I like and honestly, its a mix of all of them you can't reproduce without running far too much bloat.

Must admit, I was like that when I had my hero, lord knows how many times I flashed that, but now I have a desire s, I'm not too fussed. I hope HTC unlock it one day, but that's mainly for root and hopefully ice cream if they don't support it officially on here. Either way, I don't feel I'm missing out on too much (also, my phone is unbranded which is nice. Orange bloat has annoyed me far too much to get a locked phone).

Also a2sd saved my hero for sure. :cool:

Uh huh. I can't wait to see what Ice Cream has to offer when that's released. Now that mobile is becoming more and more important as time goes on, I'm sure they're putting more effort into it than before.

Right now it's really hard to resist upgrading to something out on the market now; I use my Nexus 1 so much that it just gets "old". Same with my MacBook lol

Uh huh. I can't wait to see what Ice Cream has to offer when that's released. Now that mobile is becoming more and more important as time goes on, I'm sure they're putting more effort into it than before.

Right now it's really hard to resist upgrading to something out on the market now; I use my Nexus 1 so much that it just gets "old". Same with my MacBook lol

If you think your N1 is old you should try using a hero

Latest

Trending

Trending