The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
Hi there!

Regarding the sub-fusc and gown which we are required to wear at matriculation, does the college have them ready for you before you arrive or are we required to bring our own? I'm an international student and not quite sure what to do. Any suggestion?

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Omio
Hi there!

Regarding the sub-fusc and gown which we are required to wear at matriculation, does the college have them ready for you before you arrive or are we required to bring our own? I'm an international student and not quite sure what to do. Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Plenty of time to buy the gown and mortarboard when you get there - I'm sure the shops will have the usual offer packages including the gown, mortar board and - if you need one - white bow tie. Usually people bring their own dark suit etc but you could get that in Oxford too if you wanted!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1862
Original post by Omio
Hi there!

Thanks.

In your Freshers' pack, you'll get a form to fill in asking whether you want to buy various bits and bobs (gown and mortarboard, college hoodie, suit etc.) and it can all be waiting for you when you arrive, if the service is more prompt than it was last year. You'll need your gown before matriculation so it's a good idea to get it ordered in advance. But as Festina lente says, you can buy the usual package for about £25 (same price as through the college) from the shops directly if you want.
Reply 1863
Really want exams to end... Just want the an awesome summer. Then an awesome time at Oxford. :/
Good luck for the rest of the exams
:punk:
hey guys,
I have a question concerning the fulfillment of conditions.
I´ve been accepted for a two years MPhil in Oxford.
Normally, you´re required to send in your bachelor certificate at the end of july or august.

My problem is, that I have done every course exept of latin, which is a precondition for my bachelor studies.
I now failed in one latin exam this june, and can only try again in october.
what should I do now?
should I write Oxford if they could still take me although I dont have the bachelors certificate until the midst of october? will they still take me then? also funding from my state is linked to the completion of my bachelors studies, so I also would not be able to have the proof of funding until october (although Im sure that I am going to get it)

or is there any possibility to postpone the offer to 2012 entry?

I really hope you can help me, I m really desperate now....
(edited 12 years ago)
Finally finished all my exams! I suppose it's just a waiting game now.
Let's hope we all do fine, eh? :biggrin:
GUYS. I just hit Freud on my Reading List for German. FREUD IS HARD. >< Not looking forward to Kant or Nietzsche at the moment...

How is everyone else doing on their reading lists (German or non)? This isn't one of those "I've done more/less than you" just "let's chat about how ridiculously hard these reading lists are". Or is it just me...?
Original post by barefootfiona
GUYS. I just hit Freud on my Reading List for German. FREUD IS HARD. >< Not looking forward to Kant or Nietzsche at the moment...

How is everyone else doing on their reading lists (German or non)? This isn't one of those "I've done more/less than you" just "let's chat about how ridiculously hard these reading lists are". Or is it just me...?

I'm actually loving it. Pretty much every book I've read on the list so far has been pretty enjoyable, even the formal logic which is supposedly the hardest/most disliked element of the first year PPE course.

At the moment I've finished most of the suggested philosophy reading and a good few related extras, currently working on Hume's An Inquiry Regarding Human Understanding. Planning on starting the politics stuff soon but I'm too engaged with the philosophy to just leave it and pick up the politics. The economics is all textbook based so I'm leaving most of that until just before term starts, though I'm planning to read a fair few other economics books.

I'm actually planning to pick up German again (not done it since GCSE but did 6 years worth of it) so I can read some Kant and Mises, and perhaps Wittgenstein, but this is probably a much longer term project than I care to admit...my German is nowhere near that standard. You'll have to tell me how you find Kant. :tongue:
Reply 1869
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
I'm actually loving it. Pretty much every book I've read on the list so far has been pretty enjoyable, even the formal logic which is supposedly the hardest/most disliked element of the first year PPE course.

At the moment I've finished most of the suggested philosophy reading and a good few related extras, currently working on Hume's An Inquiry Regarding Human Understanding. Planning on starting the politics stuff soon but I'm too engaged with the philosophy to just leave it and pick up the politics. The economics is all textbook based so I'm leaving most of that until just before term starts, though I'm planning to read a fair few other economics books.

I'm actually planning to pick up German again (not done it since GCSE but did 6 years worth of it) so I can read some Kant and Mises, and perhaps Wittgenstein, but this is probably a much longer term project than I care to admit...my German is nowhere near that standard. You'll have to tell me how you find Kant. :tongue:

I'm jealous of your productivity!
I want a reading list :\ I'm just reading my own stuff. I don't want to get there and find I'm the only one who's clueless! Noo!
Reply 1870
Original post by zigzog7
doin fp1 cos we did all the maths modules last year and we do all the further maths ones this year.

fair enough you must have had LOADS of work this year! well done for getting through it, good luck fo tomo (:
Original post by Lucy23
fair enough you must have had LOADS of work this year! well done for getting through it, good luck fo tomo (:

Thanks, you too :smile: must remember I am not to talk about the exams I did today lol
Original post by Mellete
Congratulations!!! :rofl3:

Have you been sitting on the offer for a while or just had it recently?

since December :P but i only just found the relevent thread :biggrin:

don't suppose there're any other Earth Sciencey people lurking around, are there? :P

good luck to everyone with the rest of exams ^_^ xx
Original post by SharkTooth194

don't suppose there're any other Earth Sciencey people lurking around, are there? :P

'Edache' has an offer for Earth Sciences at Teddy Hall. He's not very active on here (only 3 posts ever, I think :tongue:) but I know him IRL
Reply 1874
Anybody else watch the new X-Men film and get excited at how very Oxford Charles Xavier is? (Pembroke, by the way.)

Original post by barefootfiona
GUYS. I just hit Freud on my Reading List for German. FREUD IS HARD. &gt;&lt; Not looking forward to Kant or Nietzsche at the moment...

How is everyone else doing on their reading lists (German or non)? This isn't one of those &quot;I've done more/less than you&quot; just &quot;let's chat about how ridiculously hard these reading lists are&quot;. Or is it just me...?

I still don't have a reading list for M&P, but I'm trying to get into some reading in German (classics, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, whatever). Any recommendations?

Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts

The account I heard is that Logic is the bit all the PPEists fail at, but I think that's mostly because they're politico types who don't like it at all. My recommendation for picking up logic is the Guttenplan book: doesn't take long to work through, and puts you at a place where you can pretty easily figure out what people are talking about without ever getting very technical.

If you find anything nice to read in German (or Latin, I want to pick that up again too), let me know.
Reply 1875
Original post by dbmag9
Anybody else watch the new X-Men film and get excited at how very Oxford Charles Xavier is? (Pembroke, by the way.)

I'm seeing that on Monday and I'm also Pembroke!
Reply 1876
Original post by JAR12
I'm seeing that on Monday and I'm also Pembroke!

It's pretty good, enjoy it. In case it wasn't clear, Xavier is Pembroke. I'm off to Merton in October.
Hell yes, (o)X-men :biggrin:
Reply 1878
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I got my reading list for French today and spent the morning ordering everything from Amazon (instead of doing music revision, oops). I thought I could get it all for under £50 but postage was over £30 ... then my mum came home from work and said she'd pay for them all as a birthday present (it's next week). So that was nice!

One of them is a 13th century poem. I am ridiculously excited about this.

Yay! Congratulations!! And happy birthday for next week. So was your reading list from your college French tutors or the French department?
The Magdalen tutors are taking their time, it seems. For history, at least. On the Facebook page everyone of the historians said that they'll send them out at the last minute! Still, I've ordered my Tocqueville history of the French Revolution, this will be good fun. Professor Brockliss is a world authority on Early-Modern France, so to study the Revolution with him should be a treat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending