The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _lynx_
I just got my Galaxy S2 through the post today :biggrin: I've put it on charge since this morning and played around with it a little, but is it really necessary to charge it for 14 hours? After some extensive reading (including threads on TSR) I've concluded that it's pretty pointless. I'm just wondering what you Android fanatics do when you get your new phones.

I know this isn't the relevent place to ask this, so please forgive me!

Typically, I look for ways to root the thing first :wink:

And this is absolutely the right place to post your question!
Reply 5481
Original post by mikeyd85
Typically, I look for ways to root the thing first :wink:

And this is absolutely the right place to post your question!

What do you mean by root? :holmes:

:colondollar:
Reply 5482
Which is the best app to sync the Sensation with a Mac?
Reply 5483
Original post by G8D
Whatever the file browser is that Macs use?

What are you actually wanting to sync?

Photos and music. When I connect the Sensation to the Mac with the USB it doesn't come up in the finder bit.
Reply 5484
Original post by G8D
Try pulling the notification blind down and seeing if you can change the USB state.

Goodness me those files look like such a mess :s-smilie:
Reply 5485
Original post by G8D
um...?

Images are in DCIM. I'd make an MP3 folder for your music.

Think it's because I have the memory card from my nokia in it, so there's old files of apps, but also many things with names I don't recognise and just opens up to a window of codes :confused:
Reply 5486
Original post by G8D
I have an abundance of folders with not much in them. A lot of apps store some files on SD card to save internal memory etc etc. These folders are not deleted when you uninstall apps.

There's so many empty folders, and a few things which the Mac can't open. I'm scared of deleting something important. Where the flip did a folder called rosie_scroll come from :confused:
Reply 5487
Original post by G8D
Rosie is the name of Sense in code.

Oh right thank goodness I haven't deleted that yet then. Are 'tmp', 'cities', 'LOST.DIR', 'youmicache', 'qf', 'Devlog.fil' anything important? I don't understand any of them when I open and some are are lacking applications to be opened on the Mac
Reply 5488
Original post by G8D
I'm sure I have tmp/LOST. I'll post a screenshot later of my folders.

Don't worry though. Most are likely game saves or caches. You won't break your phone deleting anything.

Thanks. This is what mine looks like right now
Original post by _lynx_
What do you mean by root? :holmes:

:colondollar:

A way to get full admin rights on the filesystem of the phone.

It's the Android equivalent of Jailbreaking an iPhone. :smile:
Reply 5490
A way to get full admin rights on the filesystem of the phone.

It's the Android equivalent of Jailbreaking an iPhone. :smile:

Gotcha :wink:

As for my new SGS2, it's met my expectations so far - and I had very high expectations :biggrin:
Wait for the next Nexus phone.

720p screen + Android 4.0 = :sexface:

Same question but with my ageing hero? Sammy has said that the SGSII will get full ICS support

Original post by chaz1992
oo yeh!!!

Officially better specs that my computer:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_duo-4047.php

Original post by G8D
That sounds rather amazing.

Really quite like Timescape as well.

That does look really good apart from I think 4.5 inches is a bit big.

Original post by _lynx_
Gotcha :wink:

As for my new SGS2, it's met my expectations so far - and I had very high expectations :biggrin:

That's nice to know
Original post by wizard710
Same question but with my ageing hero?

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be on a Hero anymore! :smile: Awesome phone back in the day though and still good dev support.

Depends on when your contract runs out. honestly, If I had my Hero now and could upgrade, I'd go SGS2, root it and go with cyanogen mod. If I had to wait a couple more months, I'd probably hold out of an ICS native phone. :smile:

That does look really good apart from I think 4.5 inches is a bit big.

Well it's edge to edge so will be about 13cm x 6.8cm - about as wide as the desire hd and a little taller
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be on a Hero anymore! :smile: Awesome phone back in the day though and still good dev support.

Depends on when your contract runs out. honestly, If I had my Hero now and could upgrade, I'd go SGS2, root it and go with cyanogen mod. If I had to wait a couple more months, I'd probably hold out of an ICS native phone. :smile:

Yeah, contract is up mid september so I either get one early september, before I go back to uni or wait for an ICS phone which may not have a brilliant deal that you can get with the SGSII http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-phones/Samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S-II/30,72930,All,tt1,ct1

Original post by chaz1992
Well it's edge to edge so will be about 13cm x 6.8cm - about as wide as the desire hd and a little taller

I suppose so then, yeah it is quite a bit bigger than my hero but then yeah it's not massive
Yeah, contract is up mid september so I either get one early september, before I go back to uni or wait for an ICS phone which may not have a brilliant deal that you can get with the SGSII http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-phones/Samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S-II/30,72930,All,tt1,ct1

I suppose so then, yeah it is quite a bit bigger than my hero but then yeah it's not massive

Well, yeah, and by then there'll be even better deals too. Tough call that one dude!
Well, yeah, and by then there'll be even better deals too. Tough call that one dude!

I know. I would also like a phone with NFC cos it may not be big now but it will be in a year or so when all new phones have them and being lumped with out of date hardware in my hero I don't want to be in the same boat again
Original post by Linnean

Original post by Linnean
Well, since my previous post regarding the problem (made under my old username), the amount of dust underneath the screen of my third handset has increased exponentially despite the fact it has been sat on my desk in a clean, relatively dust-free environment the entire time.

When I contacted the retailer regarding the dust after receiving this replacement I was given the choice of procuring yet another replacement or exchanging the Sensation for another model.

I must confess, the only reasons I haven't exchanged the Sensation for a Galaxy S2 is due to having already spent £45 on Sensation accessories before I received my first handset and the fact I'm just not as 'drawn' to the S2 as I am to the Sensation.

I'm really not sure what to do. I'm beginning to grow weary of paying for a £25.53 per month contract that I've been almost unable to use due to having to wait for replacement handsets, all of which have been plagued by the same problems to varying extents.

What would HTC's course of action likely be if I was to send my existing handset to them?

I'm not sure what to say. Just get the Galaxy S II, and try and sell those accessories..
Wheyyy Gingerbread coming to my Desire Z!
Original post by Manzzzzz
Wheyyy Gingerbread coming to my Desire Z!

About bloody time and all!

Latest

Trending

Trending