The Student Room Group

Panic ! Sussex or Essex !

Basically the above !

I have to make a decision really fast between University of Essex and University of Sussex. There were some unexpected vacancies at Essex.

Both have good departments for my course (International Relations). Both are also campus universities, which I like. Anyone who could help me a little ?:colone:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by HHS
Basically the above !

I have to make a decision really fast between University of Essex and University of Sussex. There were some unexpected vacancies at Essex.

Both have good departments for my course (International Relations). Both are also campus universities, which I like. Anyone who could help me a little ?:colone:

Well I can tell you straight off that students love Brighton and I've always heard people rave on about Sussex as a Uni. Conversely Colchester isn't supposed to be that nice (near a military base and apparently a bit rough). I don't know it for IR, but I do know both for Sociology (and Social Sciences broadly). I think that Essex might be a bit more well respected, but the difference is probably negligible. Sussex also has a good reputation for Social Sciences.

So yeh, that's what I'd pick. But take an hour to read the two different Uni's course outlines at the least.
Reply 2
Original post by HHS
Basically the above !

Both options end with sex, who cares? :wink:
Reply 3
Haha thanx for ur feedback, the names are both as cool as can be so still stuck between the 2:wink:

After reading course outlines im even more confused, sussex offers only 8 contact hours but I guess It would be the same at Essex?

Brighton looks great, but the Campus of Essex seems a good alternative !
Reply 4
Sussex was my insurance choice! Know a few people who go there who say the nightlife and campus is great! The university itself is a good one too. I'd choose it over Essex, but that's my personal opinion. I'd recommend Sussex though! :tongue:

By the way, are you applying through clearing? I thought Sussex wasn't participating in that this year?
Original post by LeeC
Both options end with sex, who cares? :wink:

Haha that's exactly what I thought when I saw the title.

And Colchester isnt really that rough. Well, it depends what you are used to really. But a lot of Essex and East London is more rough than Colchester.
I am holding unconditional offer at Essex so yeah, you will see me there probably. :smile:

To be honest, Essex's government department is nationally recognised and has an amazing reputation. I heard that it is good for Politics and maybe not quite much on International Relations. Both degree courses have almost exactly the same modules, though. However, I went to Brighton for holiday and I must say that in terms of shopping and social life its way better than Essex. (I went to Essex on open days and had a chance to look around)

I just think its really the atmosphere and the social aspects now that you got to think about. In term sof course reputation and quality of education, you wouldn't miss out much if you go to either. That's what I think anyway. :P
Reply 7
Original post by mannequin
Sussex was my insurance choice! Know a few people who go there who say the nightlife and campus is great! The university itself is a good one too. I'd choose it over Essex, but that's my personal opinion. I'd recommend Sussex though! :tongue:

By the way, are you applying through clearing? I thought Sussex wasn't participating in that this year?

Thats right, they dont ! Im holding an offer for Sussex , but heard so many good things about Essex that I reconsider to use adjusment.

Original post by street.lovin'
I am holding unconditional offer at Essex so yeah, you will see me there probably. :smile:

To be honest, Essex's government department is nationally recognised and has an amazing reputation. I heard that it is good for Politics and maybe not quite much on International Relations. Both degree courses have almost exactly the same modules, though. However, I went to Brighton for holiday and I must say that in terms of shopping and social life its way better than Essex. (I went to Essex on open days and had a chance to look around)

I just think its really the atmosphere and the social aspects now that you got to think about. In term sof course reputation and quality of education, you wouldn't miss out much if you go to either. That's what I think anyway. :P

Hmm gives me alot to think about.. Really hard cuz they dont rank International Relations but only Politics, in that sence Essex would be better but IR and politics are not the same ofc ! Not so sure what to expect from Essex when it comes to social aspects , I guess the city isnt that great but the campus makes up for it?
Reply 8
AI studied IR at Sussex. It's a fantastic department, with superb lecturers, at a university that's on the ascent wrt league tables. It has a very strong reputation and tradition especially in its teaching radical as well as mainstream approaches to the subject. Please note that Politics isn't in the same faculty as IR at Sussex. They are completely separate entities with very little to do with one another at this university, unlike the Department of Government at Essex.

Frankly, and I realise that this is unfair, I would take the Sussex offer in a heartbeat. Aberwystwyth is the only other department I'd consider retrospectively, although the university and location would rule it out in my circumstance...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HHS
Thats right, they dont ! Im holding an offer for Sussex , but heard so many good things about Essex that I reconsider to use adjusment.

Hmm gives me alot to think about.. Really hard cuz they dont rank International Relations but only Politics, in that sence Essex would be better but IR and politics are not the same ofc ! Not so sure what to expect from Essex when it comes to social aspects , I guess the city isnt that great but the campus makes up for it?

The campus is very small in comparison to other unis I have visitted. Lots of grass XD The architecture is not exactly beautiful so you might be dissapointed if you consider this the main factor. I went cos I felt so comfortable when I went on the open day. The student union and the uni facilities, shops, banks and things are just sooo convenient. The living cost is cheap as well so yeah.... It's just what I prefer really. :smile:
Both uni's are on this site.
http://www.unionview.com/

Good luck.x
Reply 11
Original post by Rainy
I studied IR at Sussex. It's a fantastic department, with superb lecturers, at a university that's on the ascent wrt league tables. It has a very strong reputation and tradition especially in its teaching radical as well as mainstream approaches to the subject.

Please note that Politics isn't in the same faculty as IR at Sussex. They are completely separate entities with very little to do with one another at this university, unlike the Department of Government at Essex.

Aah that is really interesting, so the IR department is really good at Sussex?How did you find 8 contact hours per week? It doesnt sound very challenging but I guess there would be alot of reading? (someone told me the course wasnt very hard)

Did u also enjoyed ur time on campus ? ( facilities, social life )

(sorry for this load of questions haha)
Original post by hamburgerandbeans

And Colchester isnt really that rough. Well, it depends what you are used to really. But a lot of Essex and East London is more rough than Colchester.

Yeh sorry. Its all relative. That's second hand info (I nearly went to Essex this year for my PhD), but even if its not that rough, it presumably isn't as nice as Brighton which everybody raves on about.
Reply 13
Original post by HHS
Basically the above !

The only way is essex....

Colchester is awesome. Bars, clubs, pubs everywhere. Good shops, massive parks everywhere with a big castle in the middle of it. No idea wht the uni is live but its a cool place to live.
Reply 14
1. We weren't spoon-fed, let's put it that way. 8 hours contact time is plenty if you triple or quadruple doing your spadework in the library. You're an adult now and it's down to you to manage your own education and workload.
2. You can either sit back, coast, and scrape through or fail - in which case you shouldn't be at university - or you challenge yourself and get a huge amount out of it. This is the same for any other university arts/social science degree, I'm sure.
3. I lived on campus in 2006. The campus is gorgeous but wasn't a hotbed of SU ents and facilities. You're left to make your own fun. With the sheer number of sports, societies and the fact that you have Brighton to play in, this was never an issue.
4. I was in the cafes every lunchtime, out in town every night, and playing hockey most days. I absolutely loved my time on campus! I lived in Park Village with great people, which also helped, as we were more or less like a commune for that year.

Keep firing away with the questions!
Reply 15
Original post by Rainy
1. We weren't spoon-fed, let's put it that way. 8 hours contact time is plenty if you triple or quadruple doing your spadework in the library. You're an adult now and it's down to you to manage your own education and workload.
2. You can either sit back, coast, and scrape through or fail - in which case you shouldn't be at university - or you challenge yourself and get a huge amount out of it. This is the same for any other university arts/social science degree, I'm sure.
3. I lived on campus in 2006. The campus is gorgeous but wasn't a hotbed of SU ents and facilities. You're left to make your own fun. With the sheer number of sports, societies and the fact that you have Brighton to play in, this was never an issue.
4. I was in the cafes every lunchtime, out in town every night, and playing hockey most days. I absolutely loved my time on campus! I lived in Park Village with great people, which also helped, as we were more or less like a commune for that year.

Keep firing away with the questions!

Well thanx for those answers :smile: , good to know that the programme is quite challenging taking the independent study into account.

Did you have some interesting electives during your first 2 years?

I also saw they have really good study abroad contacts with top unis, do alot of students go or is something that is only for ' top notch' students?

Does the campus has some nightlife as well ?

Thanks again, helping me alot :colone:
Reply 16
Essex is renowned for Politics and it seems that IR and Politics share some modules. So if you do IR at Essex you're in good hands.

The area isn't that rough, apart from a few robberies and attacks in Greenstead and a couple sexual assault cases on campus earlier this year.:s-smilie: However, these were one off cases and generally it's not that bad. You will get the odd chavs being lippy to you but that happens nearly everywhere tbh.

The campus is very lively (even during the day, annoying when you're in a computer lab trying to work on an assignment/studying when you constantly hear loud noises/chants from students outside the building) so there's always something to do there.

The town is okay, not great, but there is an Odeon, some nice restaurants (I love Sloppy Joe's, I think they give you 20% discount if you show them your student ID) some clubs and bars like Liquid, TP's and Route, and of course there's Colchester Castle if you're into historic buildings.

Hope this helps.:smile:
Reply 17
If you look at the university league tables - sussex is much higher and so in terms of future employment sussex is the best option - by far!
Reply 18
Original post by bruce_t89
Essex is renowned for Politics and it seems that IR and Politics share some modules. So if you do IR at Essex you're in good hands.

The area isn't that rough, apart from a few robberies and attacks in Greenstead and a couple sexual assault cases on campus earlier this year.:s-smilie: However, these were one off cases and generally it's not that bad. You will get the odd chavs being lippy to you but that happens nearly everywhere tbh.

The campus is very lively (even during the day, annoying when you're in a computer lab trying to work on an assignment/studying when you constantly hear loud noises/chants from students outside the building) so there's always something to do there.

The town is okay, not great, but there is an Odeon, some nice restaurants (I love Sloppy Joe's, I think they give you 20% discount if you show them your student ID) some clubs and bars like Liquid, TP's and Route, and of course there's Colchester Castle if you're into historic buildings.

Hope this helps.:smile:

Hmm that sounds friendly haha, hope it doesnt happen too much. Would u say that most students spend their time on campus rather than in town? It seems that the campus is its best feature.. If I would choose Essex which accomodation would u reccon for a great social life?

Original post by tlb
If you look at the university league tables - sussex is much higher and so in terms of future employment sussex is the best option - by far!

Yes I saw that as well, Sussex is always around 8-20 in the UK, Esses 30-40. Just not sure if the departments or unis reputation is more important for employment
Reply 19
I'll reiterate that it's as challenging as you want it to be. I'll also point out that tutors and profs are open to you meeting them in office hours but also, in many cases, in the bar or cafe to chat further. You are well supported in that respect.

I used up a chunk of my electives studying languages which allowed me to go on a year abroad. I know that course structure has changed since then - with new courses and obviously new academics - so I would advise you to go onto the website and have a thorough read of the course outline/syllabus to see what takes your fancy. I remember there being core courses in international history and political theory (often with a very (ahem) leftist slant) as well as studying more contemporary 'issues' in IR - globalisation, security, yada yada. I remember taking modules from the 'European Studies' department in the first two years; as I recall the university was very open to you studying pretty well whatever you wanted, allowing for timetable commitments and common sense.

I must admit that I don't know a huge amount about the Study Abroad options for non-language students. I had the options of Sciences-Po etc for French.

The bars have changed since I was there. In my time we went to Park Village Bar, East Slope and The Grapevine followed by Hot House at the weekends, during the first year. 2 of those 3 bars no longer exist - although there are new ones - and I don't know about the club. Campus was always fine for casual drinking and maybe throwing some drunken sense later, but you will spend the majority of your time out in town. Brighton is absolutely amazing for student nightlife; the Union could never match it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending