The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeyd85

Is that a new thing, or am I remembering rightly when I think it happened when they were churning out crap phone after crap phone (post Razr era)?

Yeah It was right at the start of the year. Google has bought Motorola Mobility with is the new cell phone company

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/04/motorola-splits-into-two-companies_n_804199.html
Original post by blueray
Whats this motorola and google doing a deal all about?
Can I have a noobified version please.

Google bought Motorola largely because of various ongoing patent discussions and battles. This way it gets full access of Motorola's patent portfolio to advance Android, and it also gives Android a dedicated hardware manufacturer.
It could prove interesting to Android as a whole though because Motorola may get preferential treatment over other makers like HTC and Samsung, which may end up pushing them over to WP7 because Nokia have expressly stated that any software changes they implement will be available to all hardware makers. That's all "possibly maybe" wait and see though.

Essentially what it boils down to is Apple make iOS hardware, Nokia make WP7 hardware, Motorola make Android hardware, and HTC, Samsung and LG make whatever they want to make because, aside from Samsung's Bada, they're not software companies.
So will it be called Motagoogle.
lol

Anyone have google plus? :biggrin:
Original post by blueray
So will it be called Motagoogle.
lol

Anyone have google plus? :biggrin:

yep
Original post by alex_hk90

It's surprisingly good: with moderate to heavy usage it still lasts a day (24 hours) - I charge it every night so the battery life has not yet been a problem. :smile:

Iccc. I actually flashed it today and tbh it looks quite good actually. The thing i love the most about it is the htc sense thing which allows you to remotely findout where ur phone is, wipe da data etc etc.

However the only thing is in the notification bar, i see loads of random things on top (they are most probably the apps that r running in the background). Is there any way of getting rid of that (so it shows notifications only!)? Also most importantly the thing takes more than 5 minutes to boot (literally!). Is that normal or have i done something wrong here mate?
Reply 5805
Quick poll: have people here bought paid apps in the market, or avoided doing so?
Original post by estel

Original post by estel
Quick poll: have people here bought paid apps in the market, or avoided doing so?

Avoided :ashamed2:
Original post by diracdeltafunc
However the only thing is in the notification bar, i see loads of random things on top (they are most probably the apps that r running in the background). Is there any way of getting rid of that (so it shows notifications only!)? Also most importantly the thing takes more than 5 minutes to boot (literally!). Is that normal or have i done something wrong here mate?

There is a mods and add-ons thread for the ROM that has a link to one which modifies the notification pulldown. :smile: As for the boot-up, yes it does take ages. But it's very good once it's loaded. If you haven't already, you probably want to install SetCPU and set it (initially) to 'smartass' - this will dynamically adjust your CPU speed to trade-off between battery life and performance. :smile:

Original post by estel

I haven't actively avoided so, but I haven't come across a paid add that I actually want - so far they've all been free anyway. :smile:
Original post by estel

Paid for:

PowerAMP
Tapatalk Pro
Launcher Pro*
Speedx 3D
Album Art Grabber*
Mystique - Chapter 2*
Root Explorer**
The Impossible Game

*Currently not installed
** I don't remember buying this at all
Reply 5809
Paid for:

PowerAMP
Tapatalk Pro
Launcher Pro*
Speedx 3D
Album Art Grabber*
Mystique - Chapter 2*
Root Explorer**
The Impossible Game

*Currently not installed
** I don't remember buying this at all

Is the impossible game really impossible??
Original post by johnnn
Is the impossible game really impossible??

Nah, just very, very hard!
Only thing i've bought it international snooker game, because it's amazing.
Downloading the impossible game now too
They've put the notification bar at the bottom? :lolwut:
Original post by alex_hk90
There is a mods and add-ons thread for the ROM that has a link to one which modifies the notification pulldown. :smile: As for the boot-up, yes it does take ages. But it's very good once it's loaded. If you haven't already, you probably want to install SetCPU and set it (initially) to 'smartass' - this will dynamically adjust your CPU speed to trade-off between battery life and performance. :smile:

I haven't actively avoided so, but I haven't come across a paid add that I actually want - so far they've all been free anyway. :smile:

Thanks for that link mate. Basially i'm thining of reinstalling leedroid by using this kitchen tomorrow. I'll try the cpu thing as well mate. Thank u so much for all tthe info.
Reply 5815
Think my desire is gone, everytime i open an app then close it the white htc screen appears then it loads the homescreen again... Anyone got any tips??
Reply 5816
I added a few videos to my Sensation, they are in the .avi format and are over 100mb each and I play them using the MX video player from the market. The pictures lag badly and doesn't keep up with the sound, is there any way to get around this?
Hp has stopped making pcs etc ...wonder what software they will make :colone:
Stupid question, but is there a way to set the Mail widget up with my gmail account?
Original post by InTomsWonderland
Stupid question, but is there a way to set the Mail widget up with my gmail account?

Why would you want to? THere is a gmail app mate.

Latest

Trending

Trending