The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2880
Original post by micky022
What are exhibitions?

One step down from scholarships.

Original post by henryt
My one piece of advice for sub-fusc - don't buy the gown sold through OUSU - a couple of people in my year got those, and they were properly rank - all shiny and synthetic, and just funny proportions. The Shepherd & Woodward / Ede & Ravenscroft gowns are much more aesthetically pleasing, even if they are still a little synthetic. Of course, if you're sure that you're going to be promoted to exhibitioner/scholar, you might as well wait to splash out when you get your sleeves...

Out of interest, how many people start the year thinking they'll definitely get the promotion compared to how many actually do? Cause I have a feeling I might fall into that category. :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dbmag9
One step down from scholarships.

Out of interest, how many people start the year thinking they'll definitely get the promotion compared to how many actually do? Cause I have a feeling I might fall into that category. :p:

If they're achieved for merit, how would we get them if we've not even started our course yet?
Reply 2882
Original post by micky022
If they're achieved for merit, how would we get them if we've not even started our course yet?

You wouldn't (except for choir/organ scholarships, I think), but if you're planning on having one after first year you might not be as fussed about the quality of your commoner's gown.
Original post by dbmag9
You wouldn't (except for choir/organ scholarships, I think), but if you're planning on having one after first year you might not be as fussed about the quality of your commoner's gown.

Ah, I see. Cheers.
Original post by henryt
My one piece of advice for sub-fusc - don't buy the gown sold through OUSU - a couple of people in my year got those, and they were properly rank - all shiny and synthetic, and just funny proportions. The Shepherd & Woodward / Ede & Ravenscroft gowns are much more aesthetically pleasing, even if they are still a little synthetic. Of course, if you're sure that you're going to be promoted to exhibitioner/scholar, you might as well wait to splash out when you get your sleeves...

Ooh, I like Ede & Ravenscroft. A family friend gave me a brilliant starched shirt by them. Apparently they're the country's oldest tailors, as they started off making gowns for academics and barristers.

My package of glory came from Magdalen today! It's all so exciting. So many forms to fill in though. It really does feel so very real now.
Reply 2885
Original post by deFossard
Ooh, I like Ede & Ravenscroft. A family friend gave me a brilliant starched shirt by them. Apparently they're the country's oldest tailors, as they started off making gowns for academics and barristers.

Tailors to the Bullingdon Club, what's not to like? :p:
Original post by dbmag9
Tailors to the Bullingdon Club, what's not to like? :p:

Oh reeeaally? I wondered who did their tails, since I saw a tailcoat in a vintage clothes shop in Bath recently. They look like a bunch of unruly footmen really.

/quotingbrideshead
Ede & Ravenscroft are expensiiiiiiiiiiiive!
Reply 2888
Original post by deFossard
Oh reeeaally? I wondered who did their tails, since I saw a tailcoat in a vintage clothes shop in Bath recently. They look like a bunch of unruly footmen really.

/quotingbrideshead

Yeah, from the photos I've seen their uniform is pretty silly. Sill, I expect their gowns are decent.
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
It sounds like most people have had something about it with everything else in the post/email, but all it said in the Queen's wad was that we have to get some.

Have you had all the information from Queen's? The accommodation charge for the term goes on batells (it definitely says that somewhere, but I can't find where!) which we have to pay after we get there - that bit's in item 8 of the 'non-academic disciplinary code' booklet.

Thanks :smile: I read that you have to pay batells in the first week but I think I missed that accomodation fees were included in that. There's so much information to sort through!
Are you guys ordering gowns and stuff now? Not sure whether to or not.

We could do a TSR meet up on October! (If we're not all drowning in work :p:)
Original post by soutioirsim

I'm getting my finance stuff sorted with the parents before I start buying stuff.

Sounds like a good idea like.
Strange question, but I was just filling in the internet registration form and it says about restrictions on using p2p software, and I was wondering if anyone knows if Skype is included in this? I only just discovered that it was peer to peer :s-smilie:
Original post by shinobi93
Strange question, but I was just filling in the internet registration form and it says about restrictions on using p2p software, and I was wondering if anyone knows if Skype is included in this? I only just discovered that it was peer to peer :s-smilie:

They probably mean like BitTorrent or Azureus Vuze; filesharing stuff.

My college mum said that it's fine to buy gowns and stuff during freshers week so I'm not buying them until I get to Oxford :smile:

Meet up sounds good :smile:
Reply 2895
Original post by shinobi93

Lots of people use Skype and none of them that I know have been cut off for using it. Like micky022 said, it's to prevent people from using the University network for illegal activities and to prevent viruses being brought in.
Reply 2896
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Yes, so many things to sign ... really quite intimidated. It didn't fit through our letterbox! Do you get the impression that we have to order gowns and stuff under our own steam?

Yes, I have two mothers and two brothers apparently!

I'm not sure! I think a gown is probably useful in general but we have time to get all the stuff for matriculation(like the tie and hat etc.) while we're there.
Reply 2897

Original post by Salliana23
My college mum said that it's fine to buy gowns and stuff during freshers week so I'm not buying them until I get to Oxford :smile:

You'll pay the same (c. £25) wether you order your gown set right now or after you arrive. The benefit of ordering it now is that it's one less thing to have to worry about in freshers' week some colleges (maybe even all; I don't know, as I only go to one >___>) will have it all waiting for you when you arrive, which means minimum hassle, and you might have a formal meal early in freshers' week that yo

tl;dr - get it now.
Original post by BJack
You'll pay the same (c. £25) wether you order your gown set right now or after you arrive. The benefit of ordering it now is that it's one less thing to have to worry about in freshers' week some colleges (maybe even all; I don't know, as I only go to one >___>) will have it all waiting for you when you arrive, which means minimum hassle, and you might have a formal meal early in freshers' week that yo

tl;dr - get it now.

Oh ok - where did you order your gown set from?
Reply 2899
Original post by Salliana23
Oh ok - where did you order your gown set from?

I think mine came from Shepherd & Woodward (see here) but I would wait until you get your freshers pack, if you haven't got it already, because mine had a order form in it, along with one for a college hoodie, college scarf, college cuff links...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending