The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2920
Original post by deFossard
Thanks. As much as I'd like an E&R gown, it just might be a waste of my precious student loans. Just found the Magdalen rules in my fresher's book actually. It's black tie on Sundays only. I suppose it's suits and gowns for the rest of the week. Thanks to my compulsive charity shop and flea market trawling I won't be caught out by a lack of smart clothes.

Going to set up a student bank account tomorrow, with HSBC, because I already bank there. Anyone know anything about this? They have the biggest interest free overdraft, which is appealing.

Yeah, I'm pretty set for smart shirts, though the two suits I own are getting a tad shiny thanks to having been worn for sixth form.

I got the forms for a student account from HSBC, but went to Berlin so didn't end up sorting it out. Might get my parents to send the form over and see if I can do it from here.

Monday morning, 3rd October. Oh, and Magdalen does formal hall on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

Mwahaha, Merton has it every evening but Saturday, we win. Also we get to wear subfusc/gown/cap at the Time Ceremony. :awesome:

Original post by sabreese
Anyone know if Magdalen does formal halls/if so how often? I need to get smart clothes haha

In case you weren't clear, as far as I know formal hall is always in addition to a regular sitting of dinner, so if dressing up isn't your thing you can get out of most smart occasions.
Original post by dbmag9

Mwahaha, Merton has it every evening but Saturday, we win. Also we get to wear subfusc/gown/cap at the Time Ceremony. :awesome:

I read that a few minutes ago actually. It was a painful defeat to accept. Even so, Magdalen's three nights per week is pretty good. Still, when it comes to events, what other college can beat May Morning?
Reply 2922
I read that a few minutes ago actually. It was a painful defeat to accept. Even so, Magdalen's three nights per week is pretty good. Still, when it comes to events, what other college can beat May Morning?

May Morning? Have you not heard of the Time Ceremony?
Original post by dbmag9
May Morning? Have you not heard of the Time Ceremony?

Do explain. From what I know it involves port at 2am. It just can't compare to the Hymnus Eucharisticus at sunrise. Surely not.
Is white tie more posh than black tie? (Can't bring myself to ring up and ask)
Original post by Elrobi
As far as I can tell, it's meant to be posher than black tie or at least you wear it less than you would black tie.

If anyone knows, offhand, what the difference between black tie and white tie for women? I was sort of hoping it was the difference between cocktail dress and an evening dress but a posh friend of mine assures me there are many variations and that it's nowhere near as simple as that :rolleyes:.

They always say women wear ball gowns to white tie evenings, so I think you've got the definition right enough. So really, full length dresses, silk gloves and shawls. Probably the main thing to remember is a full length dress.

Photos of different college Commemoration Balls are quite useful guides actually.
Reply 2926
Do explain. From what I know it involves port at 2am. It just can't compare to the Hymnus Eucharisticus at sunrise. Surely not.

You sing a silly hymn, probably wearing fairly normal clothes, in daylight for no special reason. We walk backwards around a quad, in full academic dress (drinking port obviously), at 2am when the clocks go back in order to preserve the integrity of the spacetime continuum. We win.

Original post by RupertTheBear

Technically speaking black tie is evening semiformal and white tie is evening formal, but nowadays practically the only places you see white tie are at functions involving the Queen, the Nobel Prize ceremony, classical orchestras and Oxbridge. :p: It's much stricter (there are options for black tie, there are basically no options for white tie), but the basic gist is a black evening tailcoat, white waistcoat, white bow tie, white shirt with wing collar. See here for a good guide since I can't be bothered to write out all the nonsense about trouser stripes and shirt studs.

Original post by Elrobi
As far as I can tell, it's meant to be posher than black tie or at least you wear it less than you would black tie.

If anyone knows, offhand, what the difference between black tie and white tie for women? I was sort of hoping it was the difference between cocktail dress and an evening dress but a posh friend of mine assures me there are many variations and that it's nowhere near as simple as that :rolleyes:.

Women's dress has never been as strict as men's (either men need more help with what to wear, or more charitably men's dress is designed to be unobtrusive and to allow the women to shine), but this suggests that white tie means full-length dresses and gloves if you're feeling old-fashioned.
Original post by dbmag9
You sing a silly hymn, probably wearing fairly normal clothes, in daylight for no special reason. We walk backwards around a quad, in full academic dress (drinking port obviously), at 2am when the clocks go back in order to preserve the integrity of the spacetime continuum. We win.

Ok, I think you may have a point. But that's just WEIRD. Mertonians fully deserve their abuse. In defence of May Morning, Magdalen does usually hold a white tie ball the night before.

I love the silliness of white tie rules, I've got a pretty decent set, though I still need to buy some pearl waistcoat buttons and the collar.
Reply 2928
Thanks to whoever repped me, no thanks to whoever negged this page.

Ok, I think you may have a point. But that's just WEIRD. Mertonians fully deserve their abuse. In defence of May Morning, Magdalen does usually hold a white tie ball the night before.

I love the silliness of white tie rules, I've got a pretty decent set, though I still need to buy some pearl waistcoat buttons and the collar.

I have no white tie; my dinner suit I got for free from a teacher at school. :biggrin: No pressing need to buy a set yet; I might wait until I see something affordable in a charity shop/eBay.
Original post by dbmag9
Thanks to whoever repped me, no thanks to whoever negged this page.

I have no white tie; my dinner suit I got for free from a teacher at school. :biggrin: No pressing need to buy a set yet; I might wait until I see something affordable in a charity shop/eBay.

I think a dinner jacket seems more in demand, really. I'm going to join the Union, and I've heard that the debates are black tie nights. Second hand is the way to go, I've pieced mine together from markets, good quality bargains. Bit foolish to get it new, really, unless it's being made for you (oh I wish).
I'm hoping to get away with my utility black suit and a fancy shirt/bow tie/cummberbund...
Reply 2931
I think a dinner jacket seems more in demand, really. I'm going to join the Union, and I've heard that the debates are black tie nights. Second hand is the way to go, I've pieced mine together from markets, good quality bargains. Bit foolish to get it new, really, unless it's being made for you (oh I wish).

The speakers debate in black tie (with the President/officers in white tie :awesome:), but I'm pretty sure members just attend in whatever.

Original post by micky022
I'm hoping to get away with my utility black suit and a fancy shirt/bow tie/cummberbund...

Ooh, you fiend. :p: Tbh in dimly-lit rooms the difference isn't obvious except to jerks like me who spent far too much time reading about this stuff. And I recall seeing a shop in Oxford advertising really cheap dinner suits if you have a change of heart.
Original post by dbmag9
The speakers debate in black tie (with the President/officers in white tie :awesome:), but I'm pretty sure members just attend in whatever.

Ooh, you fiend. :p: Tbh in dimly-lit rooms the difference isn't obvious except to jerks like me who spent far too much time reading about this stuff. And I recall seeing a shop in Oxford advertising really cheap dinner suits if you have a change of heart.

Considering my dad's financial expected contribution was incredibly higher than mine, I might plump for one. We spent the afternoon talking about slush funds, I felt like the FSB...

Yeah, White tie is tails for blokes and an evening gown for girls. Black tie is a suit for blokes and a cocktail dress for females.
Original post by dbmag9

Women's dress has never been as strict as men's (either men need more help with what to wear, or more charitably men's dress is designed to be unobtrusive and to allow the women to shine), but this suggests that white tie means full-length dresses and gloves if you're feeling old-fashioned.

I feel pretty uncouth for not even realising there was something more formal than black tie. How often are white tie events??
Reply 2935
Original post by Babs12123
I feel pretty uncouth for not even realising there was something more formal than black tie. How often are white tie events??

Don't worry, it's not exactly something that comes up often in the real world - they made a big deal of it when George Bush had to wear white tie for his state visit. If you don't want to wear it, you never need to: at Oxford it's limited to the fancier (not sure how many are white tie rather than black) college balls, and the officers of the Union wear it to debates. Can't think of any other cases where it's worn.
Reply 2936
In defence of May Morning, Magdalen does usually hold a white tie ball the night before.

Are you sure? :s-smilie:
Co-op offers a pretty nice overdraft. I'm just going to go Lloyds for the NUS card and that other thing they offer. The free speaker. AW YEAH
Original post by BJack
Are you sure? :s-smilie:

That's what I read online, I can't be absolutely certain though. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see, they do have a morning event in college - in the Oscar Wilde room - to listen to the choir, at least.
Haha just spent the last 20 minutes making a finances calculator - including daily expenditure/remaining finances per term. I'm rubbish at remembering things so I need a spreadsheet to organise everything. I've never had this much money to deal with :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending