The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BJack
Not sure why you'd wear a standard black suit unless you were going to a funeral. People will notice if you wear a normal suit for black tie it's just a question of whether they'll be too polite to mention it. Honestly, if you're only going to get one suit, you'd be better off just getting black tie. You can always wear black tie as subfusc if you have to, and your gown will do a decent job of hiding the distinguishing features.

Hmm personally I'd say step 1 is to get a good dark suit - sub fusc doesn't have to be black, it could be a dark grey. Black tie always looks curious as sub fusc, it's really not what you are supposed to wear. Step 2 is then to get black tie.

I know some people at my college who didn't even need black tie until Trinity. It depends on what societies you get involved with / functions you attend. Whereas you'll need your sub fusc suit for matriculation.

I think ultimately a dinner suit and a good suit are going to be invaluable investments for your 3/4 years at Oxford.

But I'm a girl and it's a whole minefield out there for us! If only we could get away with at least 2 dresses... Actually I lie, I love it when I 'need' a new dress.
Reply 3661
Original post by Poppyxx
Hmm personally I'd say step 1 is to get a good dark suit - sub fusc doesn't have to be black, it could be a dark grey. Black tie always looks curious as sub fusc, it's really not what you are supposed to wear. Step 2 is then to get black tie.

I agree that it's not a good idea to wear a dinner suit for sub fusc but it's less noticeable than wearing a lounge suit to a black tie event.
Reply 3662
Just to clarify, then: a lounge suit is subfusc, but black tie events are, well, just that?
Reply 3663
Original post by Bax-man
Just to clarify, then: a lounge suit is subfusc, but black tie events are, well, just that?

Yes. Sub fusc is just a 'normal' suit; black tie is a dinner jacket etc.
Reply 3664
Original post by BJack
Yes. Sub fusc is just a 'normal' suit; black tie is a dinner jacket etc.

Lovely. Thanking you kindly.
Going shopping, shopping, shopping tomorrow! Folders, plates, dresses (necessity!) and probably some other stuff.
Reply 3666
Original post by Poppyxx

I know some people at my college who didn't even need black tie until Trinity. It depends on what societies you get involved with / functions you attend. Whereas you'll need your sub fusc suit for matriculation.

I think ultimately a dinner suit and a good suit are going to be invaluable investments for your 3/4 years at Oxford.

But I'm a girl and it's a whole minefield out there for us! If only we could get away with at least 2 dresses... Actually I lie, I love it when I 'need' a new dress.

So two dresses is not enough? I just died a little inside!
Original post by BeritV
So two dresses is not enough? I just died a little inside!

I know! I had this dilemma a few weeks ago. :/ New Look has a 20% off sale at the moment so I'm going there today, hopefully to find some dresses. I currently own about 4 or 5, none of which are appropriate for formal occasions!
Reply 3668
Original post by barefootfiona
I know! I had this dilemma a few weeks ago. :/ New Look has a 20% off sale at the moment so I'm going there today, hopefully to find some dresses. I currently own about 4 or 5, none of which are appropriate for formal occasions!

I literally own only 1 formal dress as I never ever wear dresses unless it's necessary. In other words I'm screwed :biggrin: Besides it would be really complicated for me to buy dresses here and then take it to the UK so I guess I'm gonna have to buy some once I get there, sigh.
Reply 3669
Original post by BeritV
I literally own only 1 formal dress as I never ever wear dresses unless it's necessary. In other words I'm screwed :biggrin: Besides it would be really complicated for me to buy dresses here and then take it to the UK so I guess I'm gonna have to buy some once I get there, sigh.

It might be easier if you buy dresses online, on some websites you can get quite cheap ones that show all of the measurements, bust,waist, hips, length etc. then you can have them delivered to the UK :smile:
I wouldn't get 4 or 5 cocktail dresses all in one go. (Having said that, if you do go shopping and absolutely fall in love with that number of dresses, by all means get them anyway! :redface:) I bought one dress before I went and didn't get another one until half way through Trinity term first year, and even then, it wasn't because I desperately needed a new dress - I got it because it was in a colour that I'd been looking for for about 3 years, plus it was on special offer at the time I bought it. I didn't actually wear this second dress until near the end of Michaelmas 2nd year. I'd worn each of these dresses five times each by the end of 2nd year, and it wasn't until this summer that I decided it might be a good idea to get a third dress suitable for black tie events, so I got one for £40 from New Look. (I might use my 21st as a good excuse to get another nice cocktail dress. :biggrin:) Loads of girls wear the same dress multiple times, and some even swap with others who are the same size occasionally. :smile:

For the Trinity ball, which was white tie, I used the same ball gown I wore for my Year 11 prom. The thing is, white tie events are so rare that I would suggest not worrying about getting a floor-length dress until you know you are definitely going to such an event. Some people wear floor-length dresses to black tie events, but the vast majority will be in knee-length dresses.
Yup, agree with Jeykayem, you really don't need to worry. I went with one smartish dress and accumulated more gradually, as and when I needed/could afford them - I got some amazing bargains in Oxford's charity shops and in sales - as well as some mutual borrowing with friends. I have started thinking that I need to start looking through my collection and taking some of them back to the charity shop as I really have too many now :frown: It's unlikely that you would have a black/white tie event sprung on you without time to get a dress to prepare for it :smile:
Reply 3672
I've had a sort of dry run today of getting all my books into boxes. I have to use two, each about the size of two drawers. How am I going to get everything down?? I mean, that's just books, what about clothes, stationary, coffee, peppermint tea and...oh...I don't know...myself?? I have one volvo estate and two parents to get to Lincoln college on the 4th of October, and I'm at the moment not certain it's going to work!
Original post by jenny18
I've had a sort of dry run today of getting all my books into boxes. I have to use two, each about the size of two drawers. How am I going to get everything down?? I mean, that's just books, what about clothes, stationary, coffee, peppermint tea and...oh...I don't know...myself?? I have one volvo estate and two parents to get to Lincoln college on the 4th of October, and I'm at the moment not certain it's going to work!

I'm trying to pack lightly because Trinity has no storage space for UK students during the holidays...so everything I bring will have to be lugged back every 8 weeks :frown:
Original post by jenny18

ahah you are pretty lucky!
i can take just 23 kg of luggage + notebook :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 3675
does anyone know idf were allowed kettles at LMH? I know it differs per college. And how much has everyone done from the reading list?!
Reply 3676
Original post by moritzplatz
ahah you are pretty lucky!
i can take just 23 kg of luggage + notebook :biggrin::biggrin:

Well I can have 30 kilos but I don't know how I'm gonna do that :biggrin:
Original post by ellie2
does anyone know idf were allowed kettles at LMH? I know it differs per college. And how much has everyone done from the reading list?!

Corpus have given me five books, and I'm finished with two of them and have taken a few notes.

I've got a week free from distractions before I leave though, so I'm going to really throw myself into the other three then.
I'm rather enjoying learning some completely new stuff. I feel enriched by Oxford and I haven't even bought my bed linen yet :biggrin:
I'm quite relaxed about the final things I need to buy, really. I'm probably going to take tons of stuff up with me, half my hi-fi included. I certainly don't need to worry about clothes, though I still want more; my dinner jacket is all sorted (and ****ing fresh too), though the trousers are being altered at the moment.

Suppose I should get some cooking stuff and re-fill my stationary. Not too fussed about books (should I be?) as I've gathered a little pile of them to take, but mainly I'll use the libraries. I haven't read a vast amount, but I've still plenty of time. May treat myself to a nice fountain pen, too, as I lost my last one in a club a while ago, it was a present too... :frown:
Original post by BeritV
Well I can have 30 kilos but I don't know how I'm gonna do that :biggrin:

moritzplatz

Totally possible! When I moved to Iceland, I brought about 45kg of stuff though I was only allowed 30. This is how:

1) Put as much weight as you can into hand luggage. \Most airlines allow a handbag/manbag and a laptop bag. My 'handbag' was a huge shoulder bag (though within hand luggage spec), and my 'laptop bag' was an equally huge backpack with a laptop compartment which contained my laptop and most of my books. Put all your heavy stuff in carry-on - they don't usually weigh it.

2) Clothes. Wear all of your clothes for the 15 minutes it takes to go through the security, and just run to the bathroom after you're through. There, take it all off, stuffing it into a THIRD hand luggage bag you had hidden in another of the two hand luggage bags. Just make sure you have nothing metal on you or you'll have to take it all of if the machine beeps!

To give you an idea, I wore 5 pairs of underwear, 2 pairs of tights, leggings, 2 pairs of trousers, 3 pairs of socks socks and my heaviest boots, about 15 t-shirts in increasing size (YES), 4 thick sweaters , 2 jackets and all my scarves. It is possible. I melted. But I am alive as I type this today.

3) Check-in. This has the least wiggle room. Tehrefore, you should pack in this as little and light as possible - i.e. no toiletries as you can buy those in the UK, only the clothes you can't wear - and other than that all the knick-knacks you can fit. Also I can say from experience that if it's up to about 5kg over, they don't charge you. It helps if you jabber on about being nervous about moving to the UK, and seem nervous as they'll be less likely to charge you than if you appear cocky.

I also took a guitar as a third piece of hand luggage, but not all airlines would allow that.

Good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending