The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soutioirsim
I'd be up for a poker meet up if you do organise one.

Nae real money though, I'm crap at it. ALL IN
Original post by soutioirsim
I'd be up for a poker meet up if you do organise one.

Absolutely.

I'll probably "advertise" it on TSR, assuming I don't meet up with any of you personally.
It might be a real money, low-stakes game.

My friends and I usually just have a £5 buy-in and winner takes all.
That way nobody drunkenly bets their entire student loan on a pair of threes...
Reply 3942
Original post by deFossard
What Freshers' events have you lot got with your college families? Apparently at Magdalen we eat a LOT of curry together.

Oh, I looked at the Michaelmas events for the Oxford Union recently. Wow, must join immediately.

Bad luck, you almost caught up in the end (assuming you're at St Anne's). Moody fought on valiantly! I heard from a friend there that he's a lovely chap.

I just had a look at the Union's Michaelmas term card - "incredible" comes to mind.
Original post by ChopinNocturne
After last night, I would argue that that is far preferable to watching your college lose :p:

do you know these guys? the second girl from the left didn't answer a single question, i felt so sorry for her...
Is it bad that I really want to go and see Katie Price speak? There will obviouuusly be some life affirming messages at hand.
Original post by Bax-man
I just had a look at the Union's Michaelmas term card - "incredible" comes to mind.

Indeed, made me many times more excited than I already was.
Original post by Bax-man

It's almost funny how high calibre it is, unfair to the rest of the country's universities! Already excited for their 1920s New York themed ball, too. I still haven't even joined!

Such a versatile list of speakers; being such a clotheshorse, I've got to see the tailor, Ozwald Boateng. And I really want to hear what Katie Price has to say.
Despite being convinced that I wasn't going to bother, I've now changed my mind and have decided to join the Union.
I assume you can join at Freshers' Fair as well as online?
Reply 3948
Original post by The Anti-Hero
Despite being convinced that I wasn't going to bother, I've now changed my mind and have decided to join the Union.
I assume you can join at Freshers' Fair as well as online?

Yeah, the discount applies until the 20th.
Original post by Bax-man
Fiona,

Rooms are available from one o'clock onward. I'll be getting there slightly early to a) join the queue and b) meet up with a few people I met at interviews, but the papers say one.

Yeah, I think I'll be there a bit early. I'm coming by train, which arrives at 12:31, and then I'll cycle over to college... Should be there around 1. Parents will arrive a little later with the car.

I was in Oxford today, trying to figure out how all of our cars (as in, all of the freshers) will fit into Turl Street! It's a bit of a dead end, or at least a really convoluted U-turn... I remember reading some advice in one of the papers but I can't find it now... I'm hoping against hope that they might open up the Broad Street gates, but I doubt it! The broad street parking is almost always completely packed, and it'll be even worse on a Sunday, so I have no idea where parents are supposed to park the car if they want to go to that tea thing... This is the only thing causing me confusion/stress. :biggrin:
Original post by MrCarmady
do you know these guys? the second girl from the left didn't answer a single question, i felt so sorry for her...

No I don't know them, I'm a fresher too :smile: and yeah I thought that, what subject was she?
Original post by dbmag9
Yeah, the discount applies until the 20th.

I noticed. The Freshers' discount plus the Access scheme has made me change my mind entirely. >£200 wasn't really prudent, but just over £100 is much more reasonable.
Reply 3952
You don't have to participate in a debate (ie. be a speaker) to join the Union, do you? Is it worth it just for observing, going to workshops and for those fine perks, do you know?
Hi Exeter people - do y'all know when the parents meeting thing is? My parents are... well, not too organised and can't remember. Sorry for all the questions, I swear I'm actually extremely organised! It's just that I was away when all the sheets came and my un-organised parents did (and misplaced) most of the paperwork.

I'm getting a little excited now! Walking through Oxford today got me a little giddy, especially because it was a beautiful day.
Original post by thurin
You don't have to participate in a debate (ie. be a speaker) to join the Union, do you? Is it worth it just for observing, going to workshops and for those fine perks, do you know?

No you don't, and if you're going to be doing all those things it's most probably worth it. I didn't speak up at all last year and still felt it was worth it, some of the speakers and debates were amazing and using the library/bar/club is always a plus. If you're going to use it, go for it. If you won't, then don't spend all that for the sake of it.
Has everyone already got their mortarboad, gown and ribbon/bow tie? I've not yet got mine since I was planning just to buy it there during freshers week, but looking at the freshers time table it might be a bit tight since I already may need it on the Monday. :/ Might have to go into Oxford again sometime this week to buy the stuff since nobody seems to offer next day delivery... what a pain! And by "what a pain" I mean "oops wish I'd looked this stuff up sooner"!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by barefootfiona
Has everyone already got their mortarboad, gown and ribbon/bow tie? I've not yet got mine since I was planning just to buy it there during freshers week, but looking at the freshers time table it might be a bit tight since I already may need it on the Monday. :/ Might have to go into Oxford again sometime this week to buy the stuff since nobody seems to offer next day delivery... what a pain! And by "what a pain" I mean "oops wish I'd looked this stuff up sooner"!

I'm getting mine when I go to Oxford, which is on Sunday, a day before I have to be at my college. This is mainly because my mum doesn't trust herself to correctly measure me for my gown/mortarboard, after an unfortunate incident with some incorrectly measured choir robes. :redface:

I ordered mine when I got my freshers' pack, so I can pick it up on Monday morning. Seemed like the easiest way.
Reply 3958
Original post by thurin

Nah, I think the majority of people only join to watch and for the bar. In fact I would actively discourage you from getting involved in competitive debating. Not that I'm scared about the competition, or anything. :ninja:

I preordered mine (and got treated to photos of my family back home wearing my gown and cap), mainly so I can swan around the house in subfusc the next few days. But the impression I've got is it takes no time at all to pop into one of the shops and get the stuff; they're used to the sudden influx of freshers. How come you might need it so early?
Reply 3959
Broad street, the varsity shop, £25. Ez.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending