The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Anti-Hero
And there was me thinking the main attraction was being legally allowed to swing a sword at people.
Clearly I'm a total barbarian.

Seriously, how cool does that look?

I've just been gazing at aerial photos of Oxford again, we are so spoilt. This place is going to be phenomenal. I mean, I'm going to live here. MATE. Seriously.

Original post by LtCommanderData
I hope you're not saying this like it's a bad thing...

Not at all.

In fact, I'm going out into town tonight dressed in nothing but blue vitrum and wolfskin.
My OOB info has come through on student finance, finally. I'll be getting about £2000 just before my birthday. Awesome :u:

Also, for anyone who has been thinking about that Endsleigh insurance after the leaflet that came with the Freshers' Guide, my mum just added me onto our home insurance for about £97 for the year and that's including laptop, guitar, snowboard equipment and transportation at the beginning and end of term. Compared to that Endsleigh seems like a right rip off!
Reply 4083
Yay, I'm getting money from Oxford too, hurrah. Also tried on my subfusc last night, the bow tie they sent seems weirdly long, even on its shortest setting. which makes it a bit awkward to tie nicely. Ah well, good excuse to practice more.
Reply 4084
Original post by Babs12123
My OOB info has come through on student finance, finally. I'll be getting about £2000 just before my birthday. Awesome :u:

Also, for anyone who has been thinking about that Endsleigh insurance after the leaflet that came with the Freshers' Guide, my mum just added me onto our home insurance for about £97 for the year and that's including laptop, guitar, snowboard equipment and transportation at the beginning and end of term. Compared to that Endsleigh seems like a right rip off!

Not getting insurance at all saves even more :wink:

Surely people at Oxford won't be looking to steal things, at least, not from our rooms?
Original post by Mann18

Surely people at Oxford won't be looking to steal things, at least, not from our rooms?

My mum paid for it (for now at least) :tongue:

That's what I thought, but the ma thought it was necessary. Plus I guess it makes sense since our college insurance only covers stuff in the room whereas I now have cover for stuff when I take it out and about :smile:
Might sound like a stupid question but are our first year exams sat at the end of Trinity actually within the 8 weeks, or do we do the 8 week term and then have a week or 2 extra where exams are on?
Original post by SamF1992
Might sound like a stupid question but are our first year exams sat at the end of Trinity actually within the 8 weeks, or do we do the 8 week term and then have a week or 2 extra where exams are on?

it depends on your subject. science subjects tended to be in 7th/8th week, whereas most humanities subjects seemed to be in 9th week.
Original post by Mann18

Yeah, that's what I think. Only need to be concerned about my bicycle, really, and it should be fine as long as it's locked in college.
Reply 4089
Original post by Mann18

Original post by deFossard
Yeah, that's what I think. Only need to be concerned about my bicycle, really, and it should be fine as long as it's locked in college.

*compiles list of optimists to rob first*
Reply 4090
Original post by Mann18

More likely tailgaters, I would have thought.
Reply 4091
Original post by gasmask
^ I looked through that and then pieced together the lecture times from the Mathematicians' and Computer Scientists' sections on the Maths Institute lecture lists, but Introduction to Pure Mathematics seems to clash with Functional Programming in 1st week I think. Then I counted the number of lectures I'll need to understand each week, panicked, and stopped looking for any more.

Isn't IPM Mon and Weds at 11 and FP Mon and Weds at 12?
Reply 4092
^ My bad.
Reply 4093
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
electronic bow ties? :tongue:

Non-continuously adjustable bow ties. I'm tempted to call it digital, but only as a counterpart to analogue.
Original post by Jeykayem
Do you have a college mother doing biochemistry? :colondollar: Don't worry about buying loads of books in a rush. I got the 3 textbooks that I found most useful when I went home for the xmas vacation, having spent the whole of the first term using books from the Trinity library and/or the Radcliffe Science Library (which is only a 5-minute walk from the back gate). I still mostly use library books - it's just nice to have my own personal copy of the books I know I'll need to refer to at least once for every tute, although the Inorganic textbook I bought wasn't anywhere near as useful in 2nd year as it was in 1st year! Plus, you can take plenty of library books home over the vacations. :smile:

Neither of my college parents are doing biochemistry unfortunately, but my mum is doing chemistry (: Apparently it's because there weren't many biochemists at Trinity last year
Original post by deFossard
I've just been gazing at aerial photos of Oxford again, we are so spoilt. This place is going to be phenomenal. I mean, I'm going to live here. MATE. Seriously.

I agree - living in Oxford will be great! Was back there again today. Very pretty in the autumn sunshine. I love living so close to Oxford. I can sometimes pretend Reading isn't even a place, nevermind that I have to live there. Then again, on Sunday the pretending can end! From then on, any non-term-time I spend in this ****-hole will be just "Oh, I live in Oxford, I'm just visiting my parents for a few weeks."

God, I hate it here...
Original post by barefootfiona
I agree - living in Oxford will be great! Was back there again today. Very pretty in the autumn sunshine. I love living so close to Oxford. I can sometimes pretend Reading isn't even a place, nevermind that I have to live there. Then again, on Sunday the pretending can end! From then on, any non-term-time I spend in this ****-hole will be just "Oh, I live in Oxford, I'm just visiting my parents for a few weeks."

God, I hate it here...

Hey, at least Reading is a place other people have heard of :wink:
Reply 4097
Original post by flywithemma
Where did you go to school? (again, if you don't mind posting on here)
Prudhoe isn't really thattttttt bad, just pretty awful compared to Hexham and the like.

Nope I wasn't, I applied to New, so only had the one interview at Keble and didn't stay there for any amount of time...literally just came for the interview then left. :colondollar:

I went to St Cuthbert's if you know it - in the west end of Newcastle. You?

Ah well, I liked Keble, shame to get moved along.
Original post by The Anti-Hero
Hey, at least Reading is a place other people have heard of :wink:

Yeah right, I bet know has heard of Collingbourne Ducis :rolleyes:

(Google it if you're nosy and see why I get so bored...)
Original post by soutioirsim
Yeah right, I bet know has heard of Collingbourne Ducis :rolleyes:

(Google it if you're nosy and see why I get so bored...)

Your population is tiny!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending