The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

I have now met THREE TSR-ians, and feel very awkward when people ask "so, how do you know x?" and I have to reveal that it's via TSR :colondollar: we should most definitely have some sort of meet up sometime soon, I'd suggest in a pub? :tongue:
Original post by flywithemma
I have now met THREE TSR-ians, and feel very awkward when people ask "so, how do you know x?" and I have to reveal that it's via TSR :colondollar: we should most definitely have some sort of meet up sometime soon, I'd suggest in a pub? :tongue:

Ahh Emma I never approached you on the matter of TSR. There are actually 4 or 5 of us at Keble.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LtCommanderData
I only have one white shirt with me (and maybe one or two t-shirts)... I don't have to wear the white shirt very often but obviously I am gonna have to wash it, so I'm not really sure what to do. May see if anyone else at my college has too few white things to justify a whole load on their own and split the cost or something.

Just got all mine out of the wash and they were fine. I think so long as all of your darks have been washed a couple of times before and you do it on a fairly cool temperature, you'll be ok.
Original post by dogmatichurricane
Ahh Emma I never approached you on the matter of TSR. There are actually 4 or 5 of us at Keble.

seriously? are you a fresher?

Or France!
Original post by The Anti-Hero
Or France!

yeah that got kind of awkward when my friends questioned me further....:redface:
are any other freshers either at wadham or doing engineering? cant remember who is on here that i might know
Reply 4327
Original post by riotgrrl
So refined. Queen's dressed up as school children and went on a pub crawl xD

I saw you guys at Chequers, it turns out a friend of mine from school was the one leading you all around.

Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Yes it was. After matriculation the Trinitarians went for a pub lunch and then spent the day lazing on the back lawns, listening to music and drinking.... a beautiful respite..... (The weather was pleasant too!)

We covered three tables in the Mitre to have breakfast with copious amounts of wine, then a few of us wandered around Oxford in academic dress all day, it was great.

I met a Keble TSRian on my first day, whose name I've forgotten already. The person who's doing theology but is an atheist.

Original post by Bloodbath
Are serious TSRians all the social rejects at Oxford with obscure dress codes? I've never met a TSRian but I assume they are weird by the fact they post here. Do aliens exist? Are TSRians real people?

Nah, we're about as normal as the others from what I've seen. My TSR postrate has gone down massively since I came up though.
Original post by dbmag9
I saw you guys at Chequers, it turns out a friend of mine from school was the one leading you all around.

How did you see them but I didn't?!
Original post by dbmag9
I met a Keble TSRian on my first day, whose name I've forgotten already. The person who's doing theology but is an atheist.

oh cool, male/female? I know a few theologians, but haven't questioned them about their religious beliefs.
Reply 4330
Original post by Sempiternitas
How did you see them but I didn't?!

This was earlier in the day, I think.

Original post by Bloodbath
Having problem with your sexual organs?

How do you tell the difference between the TSRians and the humans then?

Grr, you made me check for typos.

You don't, unless you recognise their names or something about them?

oh cool, male/female? I know a few theologians, but haven't questioned them about their religious beliefs.

Female; she'd mentioned the atheist theology student thing here before, and it happened to come up in conversation.
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Ha ha :biggrin:
Yes, I just shoved all mine in together in the end ... I did it at 30 degrees to be overly paranoid.

I don't think we've met, have we? :biggrin:
Reply 4332
Original post by Sempiternitas
I don't think we've met, have we? :biggrin:

We have! :woo:
I love studying in the radcliffe camera :biggrin:
Reply 4334
Original post by soutioirsim

I do love the feeling of parting the tourist crowds, and striding up the walkway, and being enveloped by its majestic shadow :colondollar:
Sorry for the shallow question, but from what you have seen what is nightlife like in Oxford?
Original post by Mousebudden
Sorry for the shallow question, but from what you have seen what is nightlife like in Oxford?

In terms of clubs, it's not great.
Pub and bar scene is fantastic, though.
Original post by The Anti-Hero
In terms of clubs, it's not great.
Pub and bar scene is fantastic, though.

Cool appreciate the reply..

What subject/college are you?
Original post by thurin
I do love the feeling of parting the tourist crowds, and striding up the walkway, and being enveloped by its majestic shadow :colondollar:

Original post by soutioirsim

Me too! It's made so much better by the fact that the history books are right at the top of the rad cam, I'm sure working somewhere like that actually automatically makes you smarter/more productive :love:

I don't think I'm EVER going to get my head around all the tourists though. Coming out of the history faculty library and having to squeeze my way past crowds of them really is bizarre. :colondollar:
I like overhearing conversations though :tongue: The other day I heard lots of tourists complaining about not being allowed in the rad cam. Erm, yeah, that's because it's a LIBRARY. People are WORKING in there. It's not some sort of tourist attraction/weird university theme park thing

/rant. :tongue:
Original post by Mousebudden

Well.........

You're not going to get your London/other big city clubs.

What you will get is basically the same music every night, but with all the people you know!!

I much prefer Oxford student nightlife, to when I've been out in London with my friends at LSE/UCL etc.

Obviously you can find better nightlife/music if you so wish - there are drum and bass nights, dubstep and so on. But the main nights out are just your generic club music.

Nights out are always packed - except in exam time - most clubs will reach capacity... which makes for a sticky night and long queues, but good atmosphere.

Tuesday-Friday are the best nights out. Saturday is pretty rubbish.

You can always venture out to a Brookes night - we did that last week, it was ummm 'eye-opening'....

Anyway the point is, Oxford is not all work work work. There will always be people going out, and you'll find like what nights you can do in relation to work. Or just learn to arrange your work around your favourite night out (Park End for me - gotta love the cheese floor!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending