The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by Mushrooms
I have the Aeneid, I got it for christmas :colondollar:, but it is in english (still hard to understand), so are you doing classics at university at the moment :smile:

That's good! No I'm not studying it at uni, I just have a real interest in Latin and Classics after doing Classical Civilisation at GCSE too. Needless to say I have many reference books on the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians! It's funny because my A-Levels are sciency (for Veterinary Medicine) so it doesn't always follow that I have an interest in the Classics! (I'm in Y13).
Thats a bit odd (no offence) :smile: but i guess if you find both sciences and classics interesting... , personally sciences bore me. But to be fair I don't know much about Veterinary Medicine or other science courses :smile:
Thats a bit odd (no offence) :smile: but i guess if you find both sciences and classics interesting... , personally sciences bore me. But to be fair I don't know much about Veterinary Medicine or other science courses :smile:

Surprisingly I've seen odder combinations of subjects.
My friend wants to do Chemistry, Maths, French and Latin, I think that is a pretty odd combination
I did Catullus last year at uni. I do hope they don't cover the same things at GCSE, he's really very, very rude.
Original post by Aemiliana
I did Catullus last year at uni. I do hope they don't cover the same things at GCSE, he's really very, very rude.

Catullus is a great poet. I believe that 'odi et amo' is one of the only ones they cover with OCR, but it is (or was) an option for OCR for A level, but only the early poems and poem 63 (I think)
Original post by toronto353

Original post by toronto353
Catullus is a great poet. I believe that 'odi et amo' is one of the only ones they cover with OCR, but it is (or was) an option for OCR for A level, but only the early poems and poem 63 (I think)

No Catullus 16? :colone:

naughty :tongue:

Nope, but that poem was used as evidence in a discrimination case:

(Not my choice of paper, but:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/charlottehigginsblog/2009/nov/24/catullus-mark-lowe)
(edited 12 years ago)
My friend wants to do Chemistry, Maths, French and Latin, I think that is a pretty odd combination

I did Computing, Physics, History and Classics (with Politics AS) (and ended up on an Archaeology degree...) so I don't think its too uncommon to do two sets of 2 related subjects. French and Latin will link quite nicely, and Maths will help with Chemistry.
I did biology, chemistry, maths and German at AS, German and biology A2 and history in a year during A2. Now, that people, is a set of messed up A levels.

And I linked chemistry and biology to ancient history in my personal statement because I am just that ****ing amazing. I am very sleep deprived.
I remember second year Latin where Catullus was one of the poets covered (though from a textual aspect, alas, not a sweary one" and how as a result for the next few weeks most of the composition work was heavily supplemented with the most imaginative swearing and "your mom" jokes in Latin I've seen. Good times. Sometimes I miss Roman Lit. :s-smilie:
Yh we don't do any rude poems we do poems like the sparrow one, odi et amo, what you do with your left hand (we thought this was going to be rude but actually it was about steeling napkins!) and other poems to Lesbia :smile:
Reply 1213
Yh we don't do any rude poems we do poems like the sparrow one, odi et amo, what you do with your left hand (we thought this was going to be rude but actually it was about steeling napkins!) and other poems to Lesbia :smile:

The sparrow one (assuming I'm talking about the right one) can be rude if you replace 'sparrow' with an item of the male physique...
Are teacher never told us about that....
Are teacher never told us about that....

Original post by Aesc
The sparrow one (assuming I'm talking about the right one) can be rude if you replace 'sparrow' with an item of the male physique...

Lol, the edition of Catullus I have completely tiptoes around this. "passer: vocative - the traditional translation, 'sparrow', suggests a slightly improbable pet; various alternative translations have been proposed". :lol: It also gives the first line of poem 16 as "Nuts to you, boys, nuts to you and go to hell." :rofl: It also says "irrumabo" means "I'll treat you with contempt" :mmm:
Reply 1216
Original post by medbh4805
Lol, the edition of Catullus I have completely tiptoes around this. "passer: vocative - the traditional translation, 'sparrow', suggests a slightly improbable pet; various alternative translations have been proposed". :lol: It also gives the first line of poem 16 as "Nuts to you, boys, nuts to you and go to hell." :rofl: It also says "irrumabo" means "I'll treat you with contempt" :mmm:

That's outrageous :biggrin: I'm surprised even "go to hell" made the cut
Reply 1217

I love how in the Quinn commentary it says "Some poems that do not recommend themselves to commentary in English have been omitted." :tongue:
Original post by Sappho
I love how in the Quinn commentary it says "Some poems that do not recommend themselves to commentary in English have been omitted." :tongue:

:holmes: Mine is the Quinn edition. As far as I can tell every poem is there and also included in the commentary :s-smilie:
Reply 1219
:holmes: Mine is the Quinn edition. As far as I can tell every poem is there and also included in the commentary :s-smilie:

Revised edition probably. The one from the sixties excluded them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending