The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toronto353
Hi,
My main piece of advice would be to ensure that you re-read any texts/ watch any documentaries that you have mentioned because that will probably be what they primarily ask you about. Perhaps beginning learning some basic Latin (while not essential) would look good and show that you have a determination to study classics. As I say, not compulsory to study the language now, but a) it will look good and b) it will be useful in the future.

Thanks! I didn't mention this on my personal statement (not enough characters:frown:), but i'd taken a small beginners course on Latin in school, they offered it for a term... I'll be sure to mention that if i get an interview :smile:
Original post by yellowpurpleyellow
Thanks! I didn't mention this on my personal statement (not enough characters:frown:), but i'd taken a small beginners course on Latin in school, they offered it for a term... I'll be sure to mention that if i get an interview :smile:

Don't worry about it because it gives you something to mention and they'll understand that you can't mention everything in your personal statement.
You know what I said I wanted to be when I was a kid? An ancient history lecturer. Yeah. Yeah, I was that kid.

:erm:
Reply 1263
Original post by Aemiliana
You know what I said I wanted to be when I was a kid? An ancient history lecturer. Yeah. Yeah, I was that kid.

Don't worry, I wanted to become a Latin teacher :biggrin:
Original post by Sappho

Original post by Sappho
Don't worry, I wanted to become a Latin teacher :biggrin:

I still want to be an ancient history boffin :colondollar: I need to find my motivation to revise though. Mind you I've probably already messed that dream up :moon:

Still wanna teach Latin?
Reply 1265
I still want to be an ancient history boffin :colondollar: I need to find my motivation to revise though. Mind you I've probably already messed that dream up :moon:

Still wanna teach Latin?

Oh no, stick with it! That makes an excellent motivation, I think!

Well, kind of. I also want to do Greek now, and I don't necessarily see myself just at school, but rather in higher education in case that works out :tongue:

I've always wanted to be a teacher. I then met classics and now want to be a classics lecturer. You never know we could even end up at the same department (well sort of)!
I like how everyone here wants to be a lecturer.
Original post by Xristina
I like how everyone here wants to be a lecturer.

I kinda do as well :ashamed2: too young to decide these things though imo :holmes:
Original post by medbh4805
I kinda do as well :ashamed2: too young to decide these things though imo :holmes:

I think that a very big percentage of people do when they start university. The fact that there are only 15 DPhil students per year in Oxford does prove that most people change their minds on the way (or just don't manage to get the grades perhaps)

Tbh you can never know. I still wonder if it's the right choice. The amount of dedication required, and the amount of knowledge expected are very intimidating.

Yesterday I ended up crying in front of my supervisor. When I told my friends -utterly humiliated of course- they all told me that they had felt like that at least once. I was just the first one to go from feeling their eyes get wet etc to actually crying.
It was just surprising to hear that they had all felt like that.
I'll just never get the grades. With my motivation, I'll be lucky if I manage to sign up for JSA, let alone graduate and get a job.
Reply 1271
I think that a very big percentage of people do when they start university. The fact that there are only 15 DPhil students per year in Oxford does prove that most people change their minds on the way (or just don't manage to get the grades perhaps)

Tbh you can never know. I still wonder if it's the right choice. The amount of dedication required, and the amount of knowledge expected are very intimidating.

Yesterday I ended up crying in front of my supervisor. When I told my friends -utterly humiliated of course- they all told me that they had felt like that at least once. I was just the first one to go from feeling their eyes get wet etc to actually crying.
It was just surprising to hear that they had all felt like that.

I guess grades are the major factor in this, aren't they? I think many people think it's all romantic to be reading and writing books all day, and then struggle to keep up with serious work when it's asked from them.
Reply 1272
Now that I know there are only two places which offer Classics PGCEs and realise that the void isn't likely to be filled any time soon, I almost feel that if I am able it would almost be a duty to teach...
Original post by Sappho
I guess grades are the major factor in this, aren't they? I think many people think it's all romantic to be reading and writing books all day, and then struggle to keep up with serious work when it's asked from them.

yeah grades could be a thing, but a lot changes in three years, and many people realise that this is not for them. I know people in my course who after starting their master's have changed their minds. Master's level is a glimpse into academic work, and many people turn away at that point. I met a friend yesterday on the street whom I hadn't seen for 2 months (we are in the same college but we've both been so busy that we simply did not see each other!)
she is doing a master's in Law and when we met in October she was as positive as I was about wanting to do a DPhil. Yesterday she told me that she can't wait to go home. She is tired, stressed, she is not enjoying it and she realises that it's just not for her.
(edited 12 years ago)
yeah grades could be a thing, but a lot changes in three years, and many people realise that this is not for them. I know people in my course who after starting their master's have changed their minds. Master's level is a glimpse into academic work, and many people turn away at that point. I met a friend yesterday on the street whom I hadn't seen for 2 months (we are in the same college but we've both been so busy that we simply did not see each other!)
she is doing a master's in Law and when we met in October she was as positive as I was about wanting to do a DPhil. Yesterday she told me that she can't wait to go home. She is tired, stressed, she is not enjoying it and she realises that it's just not for her.

Well yes, in her defense though the BCL is notoriously OTT in workload and if you already have a good shot at a professional life with money and comforts?

Obviously the situation is not directly analogous to the Classics, but still. My own situation is rather different. I don't feel particularly close to tears/despair etc but I am suffering from a slight apathy knowing the competition is beyond immense and I probably shan't get funding. On the other hand I'm driven towards academia but I REALLY could do without the associated administrative and teaching hassle. So...obviously I wonder if its really for me too. I want to know and research and argue, but academia is about a bit more than that and the whole package (combined with competition) is incredibly daunting.
Reply 1275

That's kind of what I meant though. Don't you think people underestimate what is asked from them if they do a Masters or a PhD? And then realise 'It's not for them' because they just can't fulfil these requirements?
there is also so much "politics" into it...getting to know the right people, going to conferences and talking to professors so that your name gets out there, it feels like a constant war. I honestly don't know if it's just better to get a job and start living my life, finally.
Original post by Sappho
That's kind of what I meant though. Don't you think people underestimate what is asked from them if they do a Masters or a PhD? And then realise 'It's not for them' because they just can't fulfil these requirements?

I wouldn't use the word "underestimate". We simply don't know what it is, simple as that. Some of us end up liking it, some don't. I love it, but what I find too difficult to handle (probably cause I'm just in the beginning) is the constant feeling of inadequacy. This is not something my professors have made me feel. If anything, they seem to be pretty satisfied with my work. But the difference between satisfying them and wining a scholarship for a DPhil seems to be a very big one. So I constantly worry that I won't manage to get it.
The fact that I care so much must mean that I really want it I guess. But is it worth the stress? I guess it will be if I manage to get a position. But if I don't then I've wasted my best years in stress and panic. Is it a risk worth taking? I don't know.
Reply 1278
I wouldn't use the word "underestimate". We simply don't know what it is, simple as that. Some of us end up liking it, some don't. I love it, but what I find too difficult to handle (probably cause I'm just in the beginning) is the constant feeling of inadequacy. This is not something my professors have made me feel. If anything, they seem to be pretty satisfied with my work. But the difference between satisfying them and wining a scholarship for a DPhil seems to be a very big one. So I constantly worry that I won't manage to get it.
The fact that I care so much must mean that I really want it I guess. But is it worth the stress? I guess it will be if I manage to get a position. But if I don't then I've wasted my best years in stress and panic. Is it a risk worth taking? I don't know.

At least I know that I'd hate myself for not trying.
Original post by Sappho
At least I know that I'd hate myself for not trying.

true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending