The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by Xristina
true.

:tongue:

I mean, it doesn't really help to admire the green grass other people are sitting on. People get stressed out and unhappy everywhere. Staff rooms in schools are probably among the worst hells out there (let alone classrooms. Sad but true).

My mum works in a generic office job, but she has so many conflicts with her colleagues, and she's constantly trying to have the bosses know her name and stuff, just so she's not always in trouble when people randomly complain about incredible stuff (the other week her colleague told their boss my mum was bullying her because she was an immigrant just because my mum refused to order a file for her the day after the ordering deadline).

I heard in the news today that theyre closing down a drug store chain for financial problems in Germany and loads of people are probably losing their jobs. In today's conditions, you're not gonna find security. But you can do your best to get somewhere that makes you happy. If it doesn't work, oh well. Everything else could fail just as easily as the thing you dream of.
Original post by Sappho
:tongue:

I mean, it doesn't really help to admire the green grass other people are sitting on. People get stressed out and unhappy everywhere. Staff rooms in schools are probably among the worst hells out there (let alone classrooms. Sad but true).

My mum works in a generic office job, but she has so many conflicts with her colleagues, and she's constantly trying to have the bosses know her name and stuff, just so she's not always in trouble when people randomly complain about incredible stuff (the other week her colleague told their boss my mum was bullying her because she was an immigrant just because my mum refused to order a file for her the day after the ordering deadline).

I heard in the news today that theyre closing down a drug store chain for financial problems in Germany and loads of people are probably losing their jobs. In today's conditions, you're not gonna find security. But you can do your best to get somewhere that makes you happy. If it doesn't work, oh well. Everything else could fail just as easily as the thing you dream of.

the reason I just said true is because I totally agree with you. I agree with what you are saying here as well.
Reply 1282
the reason I just said true is because I totally agree with you. I agree with what you are saying here as well.

I know, I just felt bad answering with a single sentence and when I thought about it I felt that I should explain myself a little. Although obviously I should be learning the Iliad by heart instead of posting on TSR :wink:
Original post by Sappho
I know, I just felt bad answering with a single sentence and when I thought about it I felt that I should explain myself a little. Although obviously I should be learning the Iliad by heart instead of posting on TSR :wink:

haha don't worry. I get what you mean. And I do wish you all the best. I hope you manage to follow your dreams. I know I am presenting it in a bad light, but I love it. It's just that the stress of the application, in addition to studying etc, has just made it a bit too much.
Original post by Sappho
And I love how you say 'when I grow up' :wink:

I'm also going to be saying "when I grow up" until I'm 80. At that point I'll convene a meeting with my friends and family to come to a democratic decision about whether or not I have in fact grown up.
I decided only recently that i'd like to be a lecturer of ancient history or classical archaeology. Then I drowned in Latin this past semester and a module I hated. I got through them both, but now i'm having second thoughts already and i'm only in second year.
Is it true that only students with a 1st get funding for MA? i'm sure that the criterion of the AHRC allows for a 2:1 but i'm yet to hear of a student with with a 2:1 who gained funding from the the AHRC or their university in the field of classics, ancient history and archaeology.
Original post by Nox Aeterna
I decided only recently that i'd like to be a lecturer of ancient history or classical archaeology. Then I drowned in Latin this past semester and a module I hated. I got through them both, but now i'm having second thoughts already and i'm only in second year.
Is it true that only students with a 1st get funding for MA? i'm sure that the criterion of the AHRC allows for a 2:1 but i'm yet to hear of a student with with a 2:1 who gained funding from the the AHRC or their university in the field of classics, ancient history and archaeology.

Everyone I've met basically has a first, even so only one or two at most will receive funding for the MA. But yes, if you want any chance of funding for anything a first in pretty much everything is needed and even then very unlikely. Think of the grades as a cut off point, once you pass that point it depends heavily on other things.
I don't know if any of you have seen this but I was shown it and thought it was quite good :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2YChnFb05w
Original post by Mushrooms
I don't know if any of you have seen this but I was shown it and thought it was quite good :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2YChnFb05w

I think I can safely say that Catullus would not have liked that :s-smilie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpPn1sn6z3g&feature=related

a bit better? it reminds me of the song in Harry Potter 3 though (something wicked this way comes) lol
(edited 12 years ago)

A bit better? :tongue:

I think I can safely say that Catullus would not have liked that :s-smilie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpPn1sn6z3g&feature=related

a bit better? it reminds me of the song in Harry Potter 3 though (something wicked this way comes) lol

Why do you say that?

I do miss studying Catullus.
Reply 1291
Original post by The Lyceum
Everyone I've met basically has a first, even so only one or two at most will receive funding for the MA. But yes, if you want any chance of funding for anything a first in pretty much everything is needed and even then very unlikely. Think of the grades as a cut off point, once you pass that point it depends heavily on other things.

I think I read somewhere on the wiki that if it's a research-based masters you're more likely to get funding, would you happen to know how hard it is (let's say with a first) to get funding for an MPhil? (I know it's far far too early for me, and it'll probably change, but I'd like to be aware roughly when sorting out savings etc now)
Original post by Aesc
I think I read somewhere on the wiki that if it's a research-based masters you're more likely to get funding, would you happen to know how hard it is (let's say with a first) to get funding for an MPhil? (I know it's far far too early for me, and it'll probably change, but I'd like to be aware roughly when sorting out savings etc now)

The same, nigh on impossible. Sorry, there's no nice way of saying it. By the MPhil do you mean the course at Ox? Well then pretty much 0%. The course is basically the non standard one..you really ought to have a good reason for taking it, usually something like "I need more language strengthening", "My degree wasn't focused in X area which is vital for my future research career". In general if you want to do real research the best way is an MA and then onto PhD.

Obviously I can only really pass on what I know from Ox and London...but yes the traditional route is the best one. The MPhil is not at all usual (you get more than twice the the usual time for a bit more workload basically...)

Depending on funding is naive, there are several really good upcoming scholars each year and only one/two get funding at MA stage. It's a serious problem, but understandably most departments are trying to allocate as much cash as possible to the PHD's since they're the valuable asset to a dept (yes, we don't matter....)

The situation sucks, especially for our subject. :frown:

My advice:

Work hard, that first matters even if it won't be a major decision maker. At the end of the day you need to produce good essays and have great references.

Read around your subject but have a good idea on where you want to go, pref from your penultimate year. This doesn't have to be REALLY specific, it's better if its not. But at least identify a language/time/author or genre as best you can.

Do save what you can, it's a ridiculous financial burden, but its worth it...it really is. Also, relax and enjoy your ug too. :smile:

EDIT: Just realised you're not even at Uni yet. Definitely calm down. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
It comes down to dissertation time this semester. Already chose last year however that I'd quite like to do something on Roman ports. Possibly looking at a comparison between Ostia/Portus and that of either the port of Londinium or those located along the Rhine. :holmes:
Reply 1294
The same, nigh on impossible. Sorry, there's no nice way of saying it. By the MPhil do you mean the course at Ox? Well then pretty much 0%. The course is basically the non standard one..you really ought to have a good reason for taking it, usually something like "I need more language strengthening", "My degree wasn't focused in X area which is vital for my future research career". In general if you want to do real research the best way is an MA and then onto PhD.

Obviously I can only really pass on what I know from Ox and London...but yes the traditional route is the best one. The MPhil is not at all usual (you get more than twice the the usual time for a bit more workload basically...)

Depending on funding is naive, there are several really good upcoming scholars each year and only one/two get funding at MA stage. It's a serious problem, but understandably most departments are trying to allocate as much cash as possible to the PHD's since they're the valuable asset to a dept (yes, we don't matter....)

The situation sucks, especially for our subject. :frown:

My advice:

Work hard, that first matters even if it won't be a major decision maker. At the end of the day you need to produce good essays and have great references.

Read around your subject but have a good idea on where you want to go, pref from your penultimate year. This doesn't have to be REALLY specific, it's better if its not. But at least identify a language/time/author or genre as best you can.

Do save what you can, it's a ridiculous financial burden, but its worth it...it really is. Also, relax and enjoy your ug too. :smile:

EDIT: Just realised you're not even at Uni yet. Definitely calm down. :tongue:

Thanks, that's very helpful. I think it'd probably be Cam (as if my A2s work out that'll be my UG) but I'm guessing the point stands. So a taught masters is advisable? As to being early, I'm just thinking it'd be a case of "if I might get masters funding, I can swap the shelf stacking for work experience/ an internship/ sleep this summer", if you see my point. Mostly though I've resorted to money worries as my chosen form of A-level procrastination...

On which subject, I fancy a side-rant: I've chosen Classics because I think it's important to have a multi-disciplinary approach to analysis; now that I've committed myself to this view, why am I still forced to write my English essays as if one can read 1984 with only an elementary knowledge of the politics of the USSR? I hate assessment objectives.

Edit: Just realised that Cam and Ox have different definitions of MPhil. Cam's is 9 months, research based, so it might be closer to the Ox MSt? But agreed, it's far too early so it doesn't really matter :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Funding aside, how hard is it to get onto a MA course? Should Manchester wish to have me (hahaha), I could go part time and fund myself with my current job. Or, I have a relative who has already said that they'd like to fund me through more education which is incredibly lucky. Failing that, I have inheritance/savings which would cover fees and contribute a little to rent...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aesc
Thanks, that's very helpful. I think it'd probably be Cam (as if my A2s work out that'll be my UG) but I'm guessing the point stands. So a taught masters is advisable? As to being early, I'm just thinking it'd be a case of "if I might get masters funding, I can swap the shelf stacking for work experience/ an internship/ sleep this summer", if you see my point. Mostly though I've resorted to money worries as my chosen form of A-level procrastination...

On which subject, I fancy a side-rant: I've chosen Classics because I think it's important to have a multi-disciplinary approach to analysis; now that I've committed myself to this view, why am I still forced to write my English essays as if one can read 1984 with only an elementary knowledge of the politics of the USSR? I hate assessment objectives.

Edit: Just realised that Cam and Ox have different definitions of MPhil. Cam's is 9 months, research based, so it might be closer to the Ox MSt? But agreed, it's far too early so it doesn't really matter :redface:

Well despite being labelled as "multi disciplinary" Classics, the way its taught, unfortunately rarely is. It's a recognized problem and one that some people want to fix and others ignore. Obviously how interdiscip. it is depends on you. You can happily finish uni with little knowledge of the history/archaeology etc and get a first...though only Oxford seems to be ok with this and even that is changing.

To give you some context one my recent essays needed a mixture of social anthropology, oral poetics, linguistics, archaeology, archaic history and formulaic computation in order to make the points I wanted to make. That was a literary essay.

Another literary essay only really needed linguistics (historical, comparative and pragmatics so three different aspects tbf), a basic knowledge of history/culture and the rest was literary theory.

You can see the variety.

I see what you mean by "taught" and "research". Yes these definitions don't mean anything for our subject: you're required to take classes AND produce a thesis wherever you go for Classics. When we say "research preparation" we mean anything that can lead onto a PhD.

Honestly by all means chase internships etc...believe me when I say that a) the chances are ridiculously small of winning funding and b) its best not to think about further study until you're half way into your degree at least. Your professors/other post-grads would tell you the same thing. Try not to think about things too much. :smile:
I really ought to learn more archaeology. Can anyone recommend any sort of introductory books on ancient/general archaeology? I did take one highly interdisciplinary module last year. I wasn't a fan of it because I don't feel like I learnt much, just lots (as in, in being so interdisciplinary I did not gain much depth of knowledge and instead only a surface knowledge of each area). However, we got a trip to the museum to look at mummies as a seminar and my seminar leader gave us chocolate so I don't care.

Yes, I have been drinking, that is why I sound like a knob in this post. So sue me.
Original post by Aemiliana
I really ought to learn more archaeology. Can anyone recommend any sort of introductory books on ancient/general archaeology? I did take one highly interdisciplinary module last year. I wasn't a fan of it because I don't feel like I learnt much, just lots (as in, in being so interdisciplinary I did not gain much depth of knowledge and instead only a surface knowledge of each area). However, we got a trip to the museum to look at mummies as a seminar and my seminar leader gave us chocolate so I don't care.

Yes, I have been drinking, that is why I sound like a knob in this post. So sue me.

Haha awesome. Well I sort of wanted my examples to show that you don't have to be interdisciplinary just for the sake of it. :P

Archaeological methods vary by era I think, I know what working with the bronze age stuff (esp the linear B!) requires a massively different skillset to what I already have re Classical/Archaic periods and that those working on the Hellenistic/Roman stuff have yet different tools. So don't worry. The most commonly used "textbook" is probably Renfrew I think.

Besides you're doing Ancient History, you're already cultivating a varied skill-set anyway. It's much easier for Historians due to the nature of the field and you probably have quite a few good skills without knowing that you ever acquired them.

Haha awesome. Well I sort of wanted my examples to show that you don't have to be interdisciplinary just for the sake of it. :P

Archaeological methods vary by era I think, I know what working with the bronze age stuff (esp the linear B!) requires a massively different skillset to what I already have re Classical/Archaic periods and that those working on the Hellenistic/Roman stuff have yet different tools. So don't worry. The most commonly used "textbook" is probably Renfrew I think.

Besides you're doing Ancient History, you're already cultivating a varied skill-set anyway. It's much easier for Historians due to the nature of the field and you probably have quite a few good skills without knowing that you ever acquired them.

Thanks. I would write more but the wine is making me sleepy. I just want to be a better student to be honest, I'm, fed of procrastinating now. I'm fed up of hiding from my perfectionism., Says the girl drunk in a ****ing onesie in a messing room having not done he seminar work she said she would.
Wikipedia will tell me. I love Wikipedia, I revised solely from there for a modern history exam. Best student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending