The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
My phone shouldn't be roaming on Orange if I'm with Three... right?

Pretty sure 3 use Orange for 2g. So if you don't have a 3G connection it switches to Orange. Don't know if that's what you asked?

Funnily enough my 3G is mostly off yet I get great signal compared to an Orange SIM-- I've tried one, also my brother has the same phone on Orange and his reception is weak. No idea how that works :dontknow:
Original post by G8D
Weird... It never did it on my old phone with this SIM.

3 don't support 2G data though, right?

No sorry it's only just for calls & text on Orange not data, as far as I can see. If you toggle 3G off it automatically switches to Orange. It's not noticeable, but that's how I make all of my calls. I'm paranoid about the high radiation on 3G, the phone gets so hot lol (besides killing the battery).
(edited 12 years ago)
I agree with the 3rd comment on there. Want small phones, not monsters.
Original post by G8D
I require at least 4 inches. The San Francisco just won't cut it long term. I have massive hands so I can't help it.

4.7 may be too big, I'll need to play with a GN before making that judgement.
Thought whether I can justify buying two expensive Android 4.x devices.. idk.

I'm starting to think I'll just stay cheap and wirelessly tether phone to tablet and buy DeskSMS (currently in the middle of the trial period, it's very nice). Sorted.

I have large hands too. Still prefer smaller phones though. The GN is far too big IMO. Same goes for the massive Sensation variants floating about. I laughed at the Dell Streak when it came out, who would want that, I thought? Apparently, a fair few people these days...

I think I will get the Asus tab when that comes out. Seems like a very reasonable price to me. I can see why you can't justify two ICS devices. The tethering ain't such a bad idea at all. I think that LG prototype with the phone that docks to the tablet is the future really. Until then though, I'll happily stick to ICS on my Desire S. Its a lovely OS!
I've played with a GN and tbh it doesn't feel much bigger than my SII, screen is bigger but you remove all the surrounding buttons etc
Original post by wizard710
I've played with a GN and tbh it doesn't feel much bigger than my SII, screen is bigger but you remove all the surrounding buttons etc
I was actually quite surprised by the size similarities when I first looked at them together...
Original post by whyumadtho

Now if you toggle screens on that you can see easily how much more you get on the screen but in terms of size yeah they are very similar, and my SII has never felt overly big in my hand

To me that looks significantly bigger. My SGS2 is marginally too big/tall as it is (can't always reach areas easily with one hand when I'm surfing for instance) and that Nexus is quite a bit taller.

I'm kinda sick with SwiftKey. It's just an average keyboard. The predictions are often totally wrong, resulting in a slower and fiddly experience compared to the HTC keyboard. I'd really, really like the HTC keyboard back. The prediction and accuracy is better and it has more than 3 suggestions at a time -- 3 just isn't enough.

Also I thought the whole point of SwiftKey is that it analyses and learns your writing style. Well, it doesn't very often get that right either. Overall its better than the crappy Samsung one but well short of the HTC (still the best keyboard if you don't get along with swype).
Original post by silent ninja
To me that looks significantly bigger. My SGS2 is marginally too big/tall as it is (can't always reach areas easily with one hand when I'm surfing for instance) and that Nexus is quite a bit taller.

I'm kinda sick with SwiftKey. It's just an average keyboard. The predictions are often totally wrong, resulting in a slower and fiddly experience compared to the HTC keyboard. I'd really, really like the HTC keyboard back. The prediction and accuracy is better and it has more than 3 suggestions at a time -- 3 just isn't enough.

Also I thought the whole point of SwiftKey is that it analyses and learns your writing style. Well, it doesn't very often get that right either. Overall its better than the crappy Samsung one but well short of the HTC (still the best keyboard if you don't get along with swype).

Have you tried Touchpal? I use that on my HTC Desire and I've found it really good (it does both the swipe/sliding and the predictive/learning).
Original post by G8D
Can you not install HTC IME on your phone?

Not rooted my phone, I'm sure you can't get it otherwise? I might just root it for the keyboard.

Original post by alex_hk90
Have you tried Touchpal? I use that on my HTC Desire and I've found it really good (it does both the swipe/sliding and the predictive/learning).

It's free so I guess I could give it a go. You like it better than the HTC one, really? I've used HTC keyboards on my last two phones and overall found them to be the closest to the Apple keyboard in terms of accuracy, but also with quick punctuation, symbols etc they were a bit more useful.

Installed it, actually I have used an older version of TouchPal before. I'll see how it goes though I prefer the common symbols to be in the prediction bar after you hit space.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by estel
By holding the volume down and power buttons.

It depends on the phone. On my Sensation you have to press the power and home button at the same time.
Original post by G8D
Seems to just install like a normal keyboard :dontknow: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=624416

(that's Nexus One but same resolution so worth trying I guess)

Awesome. I'll give it a try now
Original post by G8D
Sensation isn't running ICS though. Screenshot is a feature built in now.

true dat. Didn't notice you were talking about ICS
It's free so I guess I could give it a go. You like it better than the HTC one, really? I've used HTC keyboards on my last two phones and overall found them to be the closest to the Apple keyboard in terms of accuracy, but also with quick punctuation, symbols etc they were a bit more useful.

Installed it, actually I have used an older version of TouchPal before. I'll see how it goes though I prefer the common symbols to be in the prediction bar after you hit space.

Yeah I prefer TouchPal to the HTC one - at least on the Desire the HTC one just has prediction (no swipe-like capabilities). Also, Touchpal is very good at multilingual input (I have English, Chinese Handwriting and Chinese Pinyin installed).
Original post by wizard710
If you wait a month for all the new phones to come out then you may be able to pick up some good deals on the current crop of phones. GSII which is still a stunning phone and will get ICS will definitely drop in price when the GS III is announced

Thanks. Would I have to wait too much longer do you think? The end of the month or sooner? I'd quite like to get the HTC Desire S
Original post by yabbayabba
Thanks. Would I have to wait too much longer do you think? The end of the month or sooner? I'd quite like to get the HTC Desire S

Mobile World Congress is at the end of February and HTC etc should be announcing their phones there, the rumour mill has been churning for a while now. But Sammy has said they won't be announcing the SIII at MWC as they want a shorter window between the European release and the US release
How reliable are Quadrant scores? I got 3120 on my stock SGS2.
In real world use this phone rarely lags and is incredibly quick. The Quadrant chart says it's faster than the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I thought that was newer?
How reliable are Quadrant scores?

Pretty much useless tbh.

Real world experience > benchmark scores any day.
How reliable are Quadrant scores? I got 3120 on my stock SGS2.
In real world use this phone rarely lags and is incredibly quick. The Quadrant chart says it's faster than the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I thought that was newer?

Not very. Both are very good phones. And in the end the GN has a larger screen so 50 - 60 fps on the GN is a far superior output to 50 - 60 fps on the 480x800 SII
Yeah thanks. I did a quick Google search it appears you can manipulate scores.

Latest

Trending

Trending