The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jess Holly
Ooh, epic :smile: cheers. I'd add

Sun.- pub night

cause when I went a couple weeks ago it was hilarious. Two guys stripped in the dance off and one was running around for ages after trying to find his socks :L

ah yes Sunday is the pub quiz night which I thoroughly reccomend if you can get a group together to do it.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 301
Original post by Jess Holly
Definitely ensuite- the basic one, I won't go for premium. That's just the village isn't it? I've only seen inside one set of rooms in the Courtyard, are they all pretty similar?

Yeah all of the village rooms are exactly the same. Right down to the curtains and shelving :tongue: Some of them are a couple of inches bigger due to location in the corridor but it's really not noticeable. At all. And there's always a maximum of 8 people per flat in the village so you'll be sharing a kitchen with less people :smile:
Original post by Hazular
Yeah all of the village rooms are exactly the same. Right down to the curtains and shelving :tongue: Some of them are a couple of inches bigger due to location in the corridor but it's really not noticeable. At all. And there's always a maximum of 8 people per flat in the village so you'll be sharing a kitchen with less people :smile:

if youre in the smaller houses. In the courtyard you have an 8 and a 6 flat on each floor of each block. It's weird because the 6 on our floor has a bigger fridge/freezer than us.

Someone is outside my door with a drill and hammer... O.o
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 303
I'm applying for Japanese too, so I'll keep and eye on this thread!
I'm studying:

English Lit / Lang
Philosophy
Product Design

AS currently. Predicted All B's or higher.

Will having the product design, hamper me in applying to any of the following:

Law (presuming I have a passion for law?)
Creative Writing (presuming I have a talent for writing, good portfolio etc.)
Art History / Anthropology
Philosophy (presuming I have extensively read, nietzsche etc. )

?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DanielMartin
I'm studying:

English Lit / Lang
Philosophy
Product Design

?

It shouldn't. I know a girl doing Law who did Geography/English lit/Health and social care for her A levels and still got in.
I do environmental earth sciences and the majority of the people have physics/maths/chem backgrounds....I didn't do any of them...I even did A level Art and that didn't deter them. Hell at one of my interviews the lecturer was impressed by it, (did also say I had the weirdest subject combo he's ever seen).

In my opinion product design shows you're organised, able to be creative and think outside the box, can work under pressure etc. You'd just have to stress those skills in your PS. For creative writing I'm pretty sure they ask for a portfolio of your work, so they'd probably judge you on that not your subject choices (not 100% sure tho)

you could always email admissions?
Original post by makingamemory
It shouldn't. I know a girl doing Law who did Geography/English lit/Health and social care for her A levels and still got in.
I do environmental earth sciences and the majority of the people have physics/maths/chem backgrounds....I didn't do any of them...I even did A level Art and that didn't deter them. Hell at one of my interviews the lecturer was impressed by it, (did also say I had the weirdest subject combo he's ever seen).

In my opinion product design shows you're organised, able to be creative and think outside the box, can work under pressure etc. You'd just have to stress those skills in your PS. For creative writing I'm pretty sure they ask for a portfolio of your work, so they'd probably judge you on that not your subject choices (not 100% sure tho)

you could always email admissions?

Thanks yeah, creative writing asks for a 7 page portfolio I've heard, the subjects I want to potentially do a degree in don't state specific requirements but I know Product Design is considered vocational.
Thanks yeah, creative writing asks for a 7 page portfolio I've heard, the subjects I want to potentially do a degree in don't state specific requirements but I know Product Design is considered vocational.

I know it's the same for art...except you do 10x the amount of work for both of those subjects than any other subject! I suppose if you've had to do research into other designers for your work, you could talk about that if you go down the Art history route. But the main thing to do is to stress how the skills you have gained from product design has helped you/would help you in the subject you would like to follow at uni, in your personal statement.
I'm studying:

English Lit / Lang
Philosophy
Product Design

?

Product design is unlikely to hamper you for any of those to be honest. You have two heavy language based subjects which should balance out the others. Are you doing any other AS?

I can speak first hand for law, you should be fine as Lit/Lang and Philosophy will help you a lot. Having said that I'm judging by people I know. I did none of your subjects. (My A Levels are Politcs, History, Law and AS Critical Thinking)
I'm in year 12, and I just got my report through the post..

The estimated grades are GROSSLY under my actual grades.

In philosophy, I have an unbroken string of A and B grade essays yet my target grade is a C with my estimated grade a B.

In english, I got a B+ on our first test essay, with the coursework being marked in the highest bands, again, target C, estimated grade B.

Critical thinking? Target grade C? estimated grade E??! , and the same for product design (despite last year, I got 2 A*'s and 2 B's in graphics and electronics)

I want to go to UEA, but they've just screwed me over. It's not even as if I'm not intelligent enough, as I've proven I get A grades with ease. So UEA will take one look at me, and go and vomit on a seal. ¬.¬

What should I do?
I'm in year 12, and I just got my report through the post..

The estimated grades are GROSSLY under my actual grades.

In philosophy, I have an unbroken string of A and B grade essays yet my target grade is a C with my estimated grade a B.

In english, I got a B+ on our first test essay, with the coursework being marked in the highest bands, again, target C, estimated grade B.

Critical thinking? Target grade C? estimated grade E??! , and the same for product design (despite last year, I got 2 A*'s and 2 B's in graphics and electronics)

I want to go to UEA, but they've just screwed me over. It's not even as if I'm not intelligent enough, as I've proven I get A grades with ease. So UEA will take one look at me, and go and vomit on a seal. ¬.¬

What should I do?

UEA won't ever see your targeted AS grades. A lot of schools like to make them lower so when the student does better than they were predicted it looks good for the teacher. plus most unis UEA included dont normally look at critical thinking.
Hey all,

So, I already have gained an offer to study Society, Culture and Media at UEA however I'm having second thoughts and would much prefer to do possibly Culture, Literature and Politics! I realise that within the first few weeks of uni it is possible to alter your degree choice if unsatisfied although does anyone know what the entry requirements are for it? And yes I realise the website does state that it is ABB however I've heard otherwise...

Any thoughts? Any help would be much appreciated!!
:biggrin:
Original post by Goodnight-Moon
Hey all,

So, I already have gained an offer to study Society, Culture and Media at UEA however I'm having second thoughts and would much prefer to do possibly Culture, Literature and Politics! I realise that within the first few weeks of uni it is possible to alter your degree choice if unsatisfied although does anyone know what the entry requirements are for it? And yes I realise the website does state that it is ABB however I've heard otherwise...

your best bet is to email the politics admissions department and ask if you can switch. as long as there are places it should be possible.
Reply 313
Hey all,

Hi! This is totally unrelated but have you been to a PSI open day this year? If you have, I may well have spoken to you at some point! :tongue:
Original post by Hazular
Hi! This is totally unrelated but have you been to a PSI open day this year? If you have, I may well have spoken to you at some point! :tongue:

Omgosh, I attended last Wednesday.. Do you have long black hair?! (saw your profile pic) If so, yes that was meeeeee! If not... I sincerely apologise for mistaken identity :P
Reply 315
Omgosh, I attended last Wednesday.. Do you have long black hair?! (saw your profile pic) If so, yes that was meeeeee! If not... I sincerely apologise for mistaken identity :P

Long black hair, glasses, rather badly drawn on eyebrows, attractive orange t-shirt? If any of that rings a bell, yep, it was me :biggrin:
Original post by Hazular
Long black hair, glasses, rather badly drawn on eyebrows, attractive orange t-shirt? If any of that rings a bell, yep, it was me :biggrin:

Yaaassssss! It's all coming back to me now! Awk no you looked lovely, and I absolutely adored your hair, it's sooo beautiful ^^ but alas, yes I had an oversized blue fluffy coat with me and had greyish/blonde hair baha small world! I love the uni ya'know, just confused as to whether I've made the right course choice or not haha
Reply 317
Yaaassssss! It's all coming back to me now! Awk no you looked lovely, and I absolutely adored your hair, it's sooo beautiful ^^ but alas, yes I had an oversized blue fluffy coat with me and had greyish/blonde hair baha small world! I love the uni ya'know, just confused as to whether I've made the right course choice or not haha

Ahhhh yes I seem to remember you were in the middle of a conversation with Kris (brown hair, kinda tanned, vague Swedish accent that you may or may not have picked up on) when I casually wandered over!
I loved your coat btw, I don't think I ever got around to telling you. I don't think I could ever get away with wearing it but I still appreciate its beauty!
If you do end up coming here and you find the course isn't quite for you, the PSI team are really accommodating and will definitely help you change courses if you needed/wanted :smile: Sanna Inthorn would be the woman to talk to about it.

No pressure or anything though!
Can anybody tell me if there are any UEA open days this year please?
Reply 319
Can I drive to and park at UEA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending