The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1500
Original post by Steevee
I was wondering if someone could help me out with a translation? English to Latin. 'Everyone dies, not every lives'

So far I've been given this from a classics student.

'Moriuntur omnes, non omnes vivant'

And for everybody's information, I commented that quisque focuses more on the individual than omnes.
My long essay (like preparation for a dissertation) is due in 5 weeks and I've read maybe a chapter. That is it for the whole thing. I am ****ed.
If anyone feels like writing something on Augustan lot poetry or the Aeneid, I would be very happy.
Thought I might share this with you - was doing a Latin past paper earlier tonight on Catullus, and discovered the following comment in the mark scheme: "'cui labella mordebis' is bitingly sarcastic".

Oh OCR :facepalm2:
Original post by Aemiliana
My long essay (like preparation for a dissertation) is due in 5 weeks and I've read maybe a chapter. That is it for the whole thing. I am ****ed.

5 weeks is ages, you'll be fiine.

..thats what i keep telling myself as I have something like 8,000 words left due in on the 3rd May. To be fair its taken me 8/9 weeks just to get my results...

My plan is to lock myself way over easter and do nothing else.
What's your topic?
Original post by beesbees
5 weeks is ages, you'll be fiine.

..thats what i keep telling myself as I have something like 8,000 words left due in on the 3rd May. To be fair its taken me 8/9 weeks just to get my results...

My plan is to lock myself way over easter and do nothing else.

It's closer to 4 now. Urgh.

Original post by jismith1989
What's your topic?

The status of freedmen in the roman world... I just don't care about uni right now.

hey!!! don't despair!!!! A friend of mine told me she started READING for her Masters dissertation (here at Oxford) on the 5th of May and it was due on the first week of June (so she had about 4 weeks). She got a 73 or something!!!
Just focus on your work. Make peace with the fact that the next 4 weeks will be hell, go to tescos and equip yourself with redbull and coffee and start studying.
Original post by *Corinna*
hey!!! don't despair!!!! A friend of mine told me she started READING for her Masters dissertation (here at Oxford) on the 5th of May and it was due on the first week of June (so she had about 4 weeks). She got a 73 or something!!!
Just focus on your work. Make peace with the fact that the next 4 weeks will be hell, go to tescos and equip yourself with redbull and coffee and start studying.

I have to do the reading too. The issue isn't getting it done, it's that I'm not in a great place right now and just something as simple as taking a shower or going food shopping is a massive issue and can lead to a panic attack...
I have to do the reading too. The issue isn't getting it done, it's that I'm not in a great place right now and just something as simple as taking a shower or going food shopping is a massive issue and can lead to a panic attack...

yeah, she had the reading as well.
If you have personal issues, I suggest you talk them out with friends/family. I realise this sounds over-simplified (and it's not) but you need to focus on your thesis right now.
yeah, she had the reading as well.
If you have personal issues, I suggest you talk them out with friends/family. I realise this sounds over-simplified (and it's not) but you need to focus on your thesis right now.

I have and they just try to convince me to not drop out, which isn't what I want. I don't care about this essay enough because I don't want to be at uni. I love ancient history but I hate uni right now. I don't want to be doing a degree, this is what it all comes down to.
Reply 1511
I have and they just try to convince me to not drop out, which isn't what I want. I don't care about this essay enough because I don't want to be at uni. I love ancient history but I hate uni right now. I don't want to be doing a degree, this is what it all comes down to.

So what do you want to do?
Original post by Sappho
So what do you want to do?

I want to re-start second year next year. But I doubt they'll let me because second year is almost over but I'm not sure I can make it through.

Or drop out and live in a onesie and watch Jezza Kyle all day. But that will get boring after a day.

Is there a reason why you want to restart? If there is, maybe you can?
Is there a reason why you want to restart? If there is, maybe you can?

So that I can focus on getting better rather than getting better, doing well at uni and not getting fired from work all at the same time. I'm seeing the student support office at some point next week so I'll see what they say.

It's a shame, because I actually really enjoyed my long essay to start with. Then I lost what notes I had made. A better filing system will be needed for my dissertation. :nothing:
So that I can focus on getting better rather than getting better, doing well at uni and not getting fired from work all at the same time. I'm seeing the student support office at some point next week so I'll see what they say.

It's a shame, because I actually really enjoyed my long essay to start with. Then I lost what notes I had made. A better filing system will be needed for my dissertation. :nothing:

A guy I know had to repeat his first year cause he failed some modules. I'm not recommending you fail some modules but maybe it's not impossible to repeat the year. But are you sure that this is what you want? Are your grades bad or something?
A guy I know had to repeat his first year cause he failed some modules. I'm not recommending you fail some modules but maybe it's not impossible to repeat the year. But are you sure that this is what you want? Are your grades bad or something?

I'm still getting 63+ but I really just can't handle it at the moment. I'll see what the uni says next week...
It's closer to 4 now. Urgh. The status of freedmen in the roman world... I just don't care about uni right now.
Fair enough. If your health problems aren't so bad that you need to focus on them straight away though, it may be a good idea to set yourself small targets, so it doesn't seem like a huge (Sisyphean) task. You can easily write it in four weeks, even if you've not read anything, if you stay positive, work on it every day and blag what you need to -- maybe think of those long months of summer when you won't have to worry about any more stupid deadlines or essays. I hated writing my dissertation too tbh. But, obviously, it's probably only going to make your stress worse if you needlessly drop out or **** up or whatever. So best wishes, and I hope you can get through it unscathed. Or you may even be able to work something out with the dept., as you say. :smile:

By the way, I was reading this article a couple of weeks ago that may be of some use to you: http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article879727.ece
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by skunky x
If anyone feels like writing something on Augustan lot poetry or the Aeneid, I would be very happy.

Ah the Aeneid, brings back memories of my second year in college when we studied it. Alas my bookshelves are full of extremely large law textbooks so I have no room for Virgil or Homer in my life currently there is a Classics void. Instead I have Lords Bingham, Steyn and Hoffman to name but a few. Anyway on a cheerier note, hello honourable members of the Classics Society. :smile:
Original post by RedDragon
Ah the Aeneid, brings back memories of my second year in college when we studied it. Alas my bookshelves are full of extremely large law textbooks so I have no room for Virgil or Homer in my life currently there is a Classics void. Instead I have Lords Bingham, Steyn and Hoffman to name but a few. Anyway on a cheerier note, hello honourable members of the Classics Society. :smile:

I changed my mind on that essay - decided I much prefer reading the books for pleasure! Doing one on the buildings of the Augustan Regime now =]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending