The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nathano14
Which one should I get next year: HTC One S or Sony Xperia T? I want to buy a new phone next year for the new 4G signal on T-Mobile.

Can the One S use 4G? First I've heard of it :colonhash:
Original post by hassi94
Maybe you'd enjoy a tablet more in addition to your S2 instead of an upgrade? You could get a really nice tablet for the same price as an SIII

Not really a fan of tablets tbh, I just don't see the point in them.
This is just full of win. :awesome:
I thought I'd install S Voice on my S2 just to see how bad it really is. Had to get rid of the voice command app, S voice app installed without a problem. The app crashes as soon as you open it :lol: It really is awful.
Original post by TheCrackInTime

:lol: Agreed. Gotta love Chinese rip off merchants!
I hope this patent war gets bigger and bigger.

It needs to so that the patent office can be scrapped as it is and reformed. It's very broken at the moment.

I mean why do apple get to have a monopoly on rectangles with rounded corners?!
Reply 8026
S2 needs jellybean already :frown:
Original post by rival_
S2 needs jellybean already :frown:

What are you talking about, I've been using jelly bean on my S2 for months :smug:

:tongue:
Original post by hassi94
What are you talking about, I've been using jelly bean on my S2 for months :smug:

Which rom are you using?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheCrackInTime

I will literally ROFL if Apple are barred from selling iphone 5's because of this! XD

Anyone here own an xperia s and have any tips on extending the battery life? I know about the old myth about discharging completely before plugging in, however with Li-poly batteries apparently this will reduce battery life?
Is there any way at all to turn the annoying as hell voice command thing off on a Galaxy S2? Maybe my homescreen button is broke or I'm pressing it wrong but more often than not it acts as if I have pressed it twice then voice talk comes up and asks me what would I like to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
Is there any way at all to turn the annoying as hell voice command thing off on a Galaxy S2? Maybe my homescreen button is broke or I'm pressing it wrong but more often than not it acts as if I have pressed it twice then voice talk comes up and asks me what would I like to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speak to people on XDA. You can change the behaviour of soft keys by modifying one of the system files but the name of which evades me. You could modify it to accept only long presses and for only the function you want. It's quite a common tweak.
Reply 8032
Original post by hassi94

hahaha; but i'm on contract and I don't want to void any T&C's if anything goes wrong...hey btw can you get android beam on a custom ROM?
Bit new to this android lark but as a novice thought I'd share my experiences so far. Was suggested Dolphin here and it certainly seems the best browser I've tried so far(including chrome, opera mini and dolphin mini). Tried out Go launcher definitely seems a much nicer UI than Sense(aluminium). Also been using CWM recovery and ROM manager and although it doesn't seem the most stable for my phone I eventually got a full NAND backup which worked perfectly when I had to use it. Not impressed with GO sms pro - found it laggy and frankly unappealing compared to what comes as stock. Also have a mass of other apps but those are the ones I thought were most worth commenting on so far.

As for another question; what should I be looking for in ROMs and kernels?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by outlaw-torn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Freeze it using Titanium Backup (or a similar program) and it will no longer open.
Original post by + polarity -
Can the One S use 4G? First I've heard of it :colonhash:

I think it can in America. But that's only the branded version. I don't know about unbranded.
Original post by nathano14
I think it can in America. But that's only the branded version. I don't know about unbranded.

The 4G ones use the MSM8960 IIRC, which is basically the 8260A with LTE support. I find the approach that HTC, Samsung etc. take is very confusing, so many models with variations for different continents and networks, sorry, carriers. And then they start ****ing with the processors too (yh I'm still mad) :colonhash:
Damn, that's a shame. The worst thing is even when 4G is released, phones will probably come out months after anyway (especially with how UK retailers are). i'm gonna be waiting a long time
Anybody sick of their phone?

I hate it because I'm always on it. But I need it cos I'm always on it. I wanna go back to the dark ages (i.e 90's) and bin this POS, then people can send me beeper messages and i'll have messages when I get home. I hate being connected sometimes. It's like slavery I tell you :fuhrer:

/rant

So what new Android phones are coming? Think I'm gonna hold out until next April with my SGS2. I'm bored with it but it's too much work to flash it, especially with certain apps (Sky) not working.
Original post by silent ninja
Anybody sick of their phone?

I hate it because I'm always on it. But I need it cos I'm always on it. I wanna go back to the dark ages (i.e 90's) and bin this POS, then people can send me beeper messages and i'll have messages when I get home. I hate being connected sometimes. It's like slavery I tell you :fuhrer:

/rant

So what new Android phones are coming? Think I'm gonna hold out until next April with my SGS2. I'm bored with it but it's too much work to flash it, especially with certain apps (Sky) not working.

clubbling in the mid 90s was a laugh when you pulled and swapped your parents landline numbers using lipstick on your arm or whatever.
Then theres the fact that most homes landline telephones were located within the hallway (and not cordless) thus the whole household could hear your conversation.

would you seriously want to go back to that?
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending