The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

The Alan Gilbert learning commons

What do people think of the new building? I'm kind of disappointed that I can't find any individual study spaces without computers. Otherwise it seems pretty sweet.

Do you reckon it was worth the £24 million they spent (pretty sure that's the figure I just saw)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll have to go in tomorrow to take a look!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I went in today for a while. Honestly, it was a bit underwhelming at first but it's still incredibly useful. I remember it costing £50 million!
It actually turned out better than I thought. At first I thought all the sofas and armchairs were a waste of time but then I saw that there were adjustable height tables you could live to your armchair. And then I noticed that some of those chairs (quite a few actually) had really think right arm rests so you could put your a4 pad and write there (a shame if you're left handed though). Then I sat down in one and it was bloody comfy so I'm sold.
Reply 4
I'm still undecided, I think the computers are pretty cool though with the disc drives in the table! I'm posting this from in there now in the cafe (appalling sandwiches) but I find it all to be too noisy and busy for me to work in, it'll take a while I guess. I wish there was just more actual table space to work.

Architecturally I still think it's a monstrosity, the back facing towards sam alex and the library is nice, but the front with the colour panels is awful. I believe it is worth the money though, espsecially come exam time when everywhere is full, more space was needed for such a large uni.
There are loads of little added tables dotted around. I think the more I come here, the more I like it. :biggrin:

It is quite buy but part of that will just be its new and the freshers are feeling keen. It'll quiten down soon.
It's smaller inside than I expected! I was hoping for rows upon rows of desk space for exam time, but I can't really find any at all.

I'm sat in there now. I don't think much of the grey sofas - they seem to assume that everyone has thighs that are at least 1.5 feet long - which isn't very comfortable for the shorter amongst us!

Overall, I think it's good, but it could be better.
Reply 7
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's smaller inside than I expected!

Yup, that was my impression as well. Went again today and just felt so small. Maybe I need to explore more of it.
Reply 8
Looks crap. In ten years time its going to be the concrete car parks of today.
Reply 9
Original post by tillytots
I'm still undecided, I think the computers are pretty cool though with the disc drives in the table! I'm posting this from in there now in the cafe (appalling sandwiches) but I find it all to be too noisy and busy for me to work in, it'll take a while I guess. I wish there was just more actual table space to work.

Architecturally I still think it's a monstrosity, the back facing towards sam alex and the library is nice, but the front with the colour panels is awful. I believe it is worth the money though, espsecially come exam time when everywhere is full, more space was needed for such a large uni.

Less people will revise at home. It will be packed come exam period.

One new building won't cut it Manchester!!
Reply 10
£24m does seem a bit of a rip off has some nice features but that design will look absolutely awful in about 10 years like the Simon building
Reply 11
24/7 service :love: perfect for the insomniacs

I'm looking forward to using it - comfy sofas seem like a plus. Shame it's so cold in there though :erm:
It's not as cold as B3 - I can still feel my toes when I study in the leaning commons. :p:

It's not 24/7 until reading week though :frown:
Reply 13
Architectually the building is terrible, it looks like someone tried to modernise something out of 70's soviet russia. I liked the inside, however it was really crowded on day 1, hopefully things will calm down abit (there wernt too many empty desks on any of the floors). Cafe should be bigger though. The chair i sat on was really comfortable. I think there is more than enough desk space, why would you need more than what is avail?
Original post by lubus
Architectually the building is terrible, it looks like someone tried to modernise something out of 70's soviet russia.

Not far off it - I believe they used some of the framework from the old (1960s) Moberley Tower that stood on the site before the AGLC!
I haven't explored much yet. So far I think that it's a bit cold in there, the lifts are bloody annoying (hearing, "lift going up" every two minutes gets old fast), and that they've probably over spent a little. Sure, the ergonomic desk chairs are nice and all, but maybe a little extravagant. Plus, I found the computer screens actually a little too big and far too high up.

Having said that, more group study spaces were definitely needed, and if I'm just after a bit of desk space, I'll probably just stick to the library.
Reply 16
The Alan Gilbert learning commons is just a cheap rip-off of the Biochemistry Building in Oxford.

The site itself -directly in front of the Library- could be instead transformed into a park, or landscape, that would join together the existing buildings, in order to create a bit of a campus experience for the students (which is what Manchester university is missing).

It has no place next to Whitworth Hall.
(edited 11 years ago)
Except that wouldn't solve the computer crisis.
Reply 18
Original post by Aemiliana
Except that wouldn't solve the computer crisis.

Did this one solve the computer crisis?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kmd
Did this one solve the computer crisis?

It eased it. Adding more computers kind of helps that. Plus, we don't have a building just for studying. I you want a campus experience, don't move to Manchester, it's just not one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending