The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Went a few years ago (2008?)..can't remember where we stayed, it was pretty central though. Was awesome though :tongue:. Rome is easy enough to get round and most things in the centre are pretty close to each other. I'd recommend a trip out to Ostia Antica too, amazing place.
Hey guys!

As a fellow Classicist I decided that posting a comment here would be a great way to meet people with similar interests!

I'm a first year Classicist and am learning Latin from scratch (which is a challenge but I love it!)

So yeah....Hello, I'm Sophia and it's lovely to meet you all :smile:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Buy 1 Get 2 Free on Terry's Chocolate Orange today in Tesco :shock:

I feel sick. :redface:

(omg so much chocolatey orange goodness :coma:)
Original post by StarlightSmiles
Hey guys!

As a fellow Classicist I decided that posting a comment here would be a great way to meet people with similar interests!

I'm a first year Classicist and am learning Latin from scratch (which is a challenge but I love it!)

Hey, I had that option but decided to study in translation and learn the language in my own time. :smile:

At our uni people who do intensive beginners' Latin have to be in at 9am 5 days a week :eek:
Hey, I had that option but decided to study in translation and learn the language in my own time. :smile:

At our uni people who do intensive beginners' Latin have to be in at 9am 5 days a week :eek:

I had two 8.30 starts per week last term, and a further 9.30 one every two weeks. People told me humanities students don't have to go through this :cry2:
Hey guys!

:hi: Hi, I'm also a first year classicist! :smile: on Christmas vacation now though, looking forward to getting back though. How have you been finding it?

I have a Latin class at 10am 5 days a week... the weeked lie-in is therefore one of the best feelings of my week!

Have you managed to learn the language in your own time?

Original post by medbh4805
:hi: Hi, I'm also a first year classicist! :smile: on Christmas vacation now though, looking forward to getting back though. How have you been finding it?

I've loved every minute of it. This term I've been learning Latin and studying the Aeneid which ha been really fun - I've never formally studied Classics before so being able to attend lectures/tutorials etc. has been amazing.

How have you found your first term?
I have a Latin class at 10am 5 days a week... the weeked lie-in is therefore one of the best feelings of my week!

Have you managed to learn the language in your own time?

I went to a Latin Summer School at UCL last summer which was great fun. I've probably forgotten all of it now mind. There are several languages I would love to learn, but uni takes up all of my time.

However, I am picking up bits of Latin here and there by studying texts in translation. I think it would be very stressful to do it at uni so I have a lot of respect for you. :smile: Those I know who do it say it's very difficult but great fun.

*4 days a week! Never before have I so looked forward to the sweet salvation of Wednesdays :h:

Hey guys!

Original post by medbh4805

Hello, I'm a first year too :smile: we've been doing Archaic Greece this semester, Late Roman Republic after Christmas (I think) cannot WAIT. And the benefit of having my exams now is I get the holidays to do advance reading surrounded by Quality Street.
Original post by SacredWolf
Hello, I'm a first year too :smile: we've been doing Archaic Greece this semester, Late Roman Republic after Christmas (I think) cannot WAIT. And the benefit of having my exams now is I get the holidays to do advance reading surrounded by Quality Street.

The late Roman Republic is such an amazing area of history to study. There's just sooo much going on and you'll be introduced to Cicero (If you haven't already!)

Quality street sounds like an amazing study enhancer... I'll have to try it out.
Hey guys, anyone watching Rome: The lost Empire on BBC1? It's panning out quite well I have to say. Seems interesting on the whole. they're trying to find more evidence on the port of Rome. Not your usual narrative historical programme.
Original post by Nox Aeterna
Hey guys, anyone watching Rome: The lost Empire on BBC1? It's panning out quite well I have to say. Seems interesting on the whole. they're trying to find more evidence on the port of Rome. Not your usual narrative historical programme.

Hey, Yeah I watched it all and loved it. They really sexed up Classics - bit overdramatic at times but I think Archeology needs that to appeal to non-nerds (I personally am happy with a dreary old Mary Beard number any day). Would recommend an iplayer view!
Daisy x
Original post by daisyroseflynn
Hey, Yeah I watched it all and loved it. They really sexed up Classics - bit overdramatic at times but I think Archeology needs that to appeal to non-nerds (I personally am happy with a dreary old Mary Beard number any day). Would recommend an iplayer view!
Daisy x

Very overdramatic and I have to say, perhaps staged a little? sexed up indeed! (your comment reminded me of a fellow student who turned up to a dig in denim hot pants and leggings!). On the other hand, I was impressed with the people they worked with on the show but it was slightly disconcerting how they rocked up at various places and suddenly found something breathtaking at every turn, and I find it hard to believe that only Dr Sarah Parcak is the only archaeologist making headway using the technology that the show was really based around. There must be others surely, and by nature, I'm sceptical of people who are sensationalist in the manner they were. The other exciting bit was where they were eating Roman-style food. Worth watching nonetheless but I personally got quite bored by the end of it.
Very overdramatic and I have to say, perhaps staged a little? sexed up indeed! (your comment reminded me of a fellow student who turned up to a dig in denim hot pants and leggings!). On the other hand, I was impressed with the people they worked with on the show but it was slightly disconcerting how they rocked up at various places and suddenly found something breathtaking at every turn, and I find it hard to believe that only Dr Sarah Parcak is the only archaeologist making headway using the technology that the show was really based around. There must be others surely, and by nature, I'm sceptical of people who are sensationalist in the manner they were. The other exciting bit was where they were eating Roman-style food. Worth watching nonetheless but I personally got quite bored by the end of it.

Yes I agree- perhaps a more suitable view for non-classicists. Ah well At least there's always Tony Robinson and his terrible hats just a button's press away to comfort us; much unlike tonight's programme, Time Team always expect a breathtaking find at every turn but only ever seem to find a couple of old pots and rocks - I've always found it the best hangover cure!
"Your dissertation proposal sounds great!"

(It's the only idea I have so I am very glad ...).
(edited 11 years ago)

Daisy x

When is it on iPlayer until? I'll need to watch it.
Original post by SirMasterKey
When is it on iPlayer until? I'll need to watch it.

hey, things usually stay on iplayer for a week or two.. so you should watch it sooner rather than later
Daisy x

I was going to ask this very question. I really enjoyed it... I thought the places they were looking were a bit random though. It could have done with being a whole series XD

My parents watched it too and it was great to see them learning more about Classics :biggrin:
hey, things usually stay on iplayer for a week or two.. so you should watch it sooner rather than later
Daisy x

Further to this, I bring news ...
News from the iPlayer!

BBC iPlayer

Available until 9:59PM Sun, 16 Dec 2012

Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Further to this, I bring news ...
News from the iPlayer!

well done, you carried out that research with the discipline of a Roman legionary :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending