The Student Room Group

breaking down of proteins

hey guys:smile: iv got a few qs which need to be answered asap im revising from a revision book and its to do with the practical where there are 3 test tubes: one containingpepsin,one containing hcl and one containg a mixture of the 2.they are kept at body temp in a water bath. a piece of meat is added to all of them. i need to know what happens to the meat in each test tube thank you in advance for your responses
Pepsin is a protease found in the stomach.

TT1: Meat is slowly broken down into amino acids because pepsin is at a pH that isn't its optimum

TT2: Nothing will really happy. The meat might be broken down by the acid, but not into amino acids.

TT3: Meat is quickly broken down as HCl is about pH 1-2 and this is the optimum for pepsin to work and therefore the meat's quickly broken down into amino acids
Reply 2
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
Pepsin is a protease found in the stomach.

TT1: Meat is slowly broken down into amino acids because pepsin is at a pH that isn't its optimum

TT2: Nothing will really happy. The meat might be broken down by the acid, but not into amino acids.

TT3: Meat is quickly broken down as HCl is about pH 1-2 and this is the optimum for pepsin to work and therefore the meat's quickly broken down into amino acids

thankyou so much for the help but in tt2 i need to be 100% sure that that is the true reaction when the meat comes into contact with hcl
Reply 3
Original post by tammy:)
thankyou so much for the help but in tt2 i need to be 100% sure that that is the true reaction when the meat comes into contact with hcl

HCl does two things, it activates digestive enzymes like pepsin (in the stomach) and it lowers the pH to around 2 causing proteins in the food to denature and unravel, this gives the digestive enzymes better access to cleave off amino acids from the peptide chain.
Reply 4
Original post by Mockery
HCl does two things, it activates digestive enzymes like pepsin (in the stomach) and it lowers the pH to around 2 causing proteins in the food to denature and unravel, this gives the digestive enzymes better access to cleave off amino acids from the peptide chain.

exactly what i mean and thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending